Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #31
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
You know what would really make me mad..if I purchased donuts and I got home and they were not in the bag! That scenario makes a missing book cover seem trivial!

As a side note, I stripped the DRM off my first book last night so I could add the cover, picture of the author, and delete the hyperlinked chapters! Hah! Take that large corporation!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
You know what would really make me mad..if I purchased donuts and I got home and they were not in the bag! That scenario makes a missing book cover seem trivial!

As a side note, I stripped the DRM off my first book last night so I could add the cover, picture of the author, and delete the hyperlinked chapters! Hah! Take that large corporation!

Dave
Your post provides a good example of why missing punctuation in books matters:

"Take that large corporation!"

means something very different to:

"Take that, large corporation!"

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #33
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
ROFL Harry! Touche'
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Of course doing so potentially violates the copyright on the cover image. I'm not certain, legally, but I'll make the assumption that if the cover you download is from the catalog where you purchased it, then you presumably have a right to download that image. Unless the seller is using it in violation of the copyright, anyway. You probably don't have the right to download images from other sources though. (There's a pretty gray area right now though, as to what constitutes the image. I'll sometimes download the 'same' image as was in the catalog, but from another source, because the image in the catalog is lo-res whereas the other source has it hi-res. Assuming I do have the right to download the image, to which version do I have the right? The right would be under copyright, and the same copyright would apply to both versions so, possibly, I would have the right to download either. I'm not sure about that though-haven't seen any cases covering it yet.)
This is for personal use and I can't imagine anyone coming after me for that. Plus, couldn't using the cover art for personal use be considered fair use?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #35
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
If the publisher isn't going to do their job, I'd be happy to pay the author's normal take plus a $1 hosting and marketing fee. I don't want to pay them for a job they're not doing.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm with Susan -- I don't care about covers. I'm far more concerned about proper formatting and proofreading.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm with Susan -- I don't care about covers. I'm far more concerned about proper formatting and proofreading.
Whereas if they can't even be bothered to include the cover art, my confidence in their ability to have properly handled more subtle details goes way down.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #38
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
IMO it's misrepresentation on their part, possibly sufficient to justify canceling the purchase. That's if, as it seems in this case, they use a 'published' cover image in advertising the ebook. If that's true, then you didn't receive what was advertised, which is legally actionable-in the US, at least.

As for not having rights, if that's true then they shouldn't be using the cover in their catalog either.
I had a conversation recently with a publisher's art director on this very question. The reason they can use the original cover art in the catalog when they don't have the rights to it for the ebook proper is that standard contracts with the artists give them the right to use the image for promotional and marketing purposes. In some cases, it's ambiguous whether they could also use the art in the ebook itself, so they take a conservative approach--and in others they just don't have the rights (though according to this art director they are now acquiring ebook rights with new art commissions).

So that's the explanation. That said, I feel the same way when I buy an ebook--I'd like to have the cover art with it, and feel gypped if I don't get it. Usually I use Calibre to add the cover image myself.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #39
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I had a conversation recently with a publisher's art director on this very question. The reason they can use the original cover art in the catalog when they don't have the rights to it for the ebook proper is that standard contracts with the artists give them the right to use the image for promotional and marketing purposes. In some cases, it's ambiguous whether they could also use the art in the ebook itself, so they take a conservative approach--and in others they just don't have the rights (though according to this art director they are now acquiring ebook rights with new art commissions).

So that's the explanation. That said, I feel the same way when I buy an ebook--I'd like to have the cover art with it, and feel gypped if I don't get it. Usually I use Calibre to add the cover image myself.
Thanks for clarifying that, starrigger. And to TallMom, I can't imagine anyone coming after you for that either-but (this is a general comment, not an assumption that what you're doing is, in fact, illegal) when I break a law I prefer to do so knowingly. I, personally, don't mind breaking laws in the pursuit of justice (well, depends on the law-I probably wouldn't kill someone just because the prosecutor blew the case against them, although there was one guy who, after being found not guilty of raping & killing a teenage girl, held a press conference to admit he did it. And they couldn't re-try him because of double jeopardy. Him, I might consider killing-but that would be an exception.)

Anyway, what I dislike is being caught breaking a law when I'm not doing it intentionally. So I do concern myself with questions of legality even when those questions don't affect what I do. Sometimes that makes others seem me as what, persnickety? Whatever-I don't mean to imply that you should stop, I'm just commenting, deliberating as it were, about whether or not it is legal.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote