Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Reader for 96yo technophobe? (that I can load books on remotely from our library)

Hello,

My mother-in-law is 96 and loves to read (doesn’t care much for TV). She’s been getting books delivered from the library but when we asked her about that this week, she said her vision is getting to where it’s difficult to read. Large print books aside (given their limited selection) and maybe getting her reading RX updated, we’re wondering if there would be an eReader that would work for her.

She’s a complete technophobe. Doesn’t know how to turn on a computer and doesn’t want to know. She does use a cell phone (dumb phone) and she’s cognitively very sharp. We live 1200 miles away from her and I have a fair number of books on our Calibre server (some mobi from Kindle purchases and other are ePub).

Obviously, I can convert any ePub to mobi or vice versa to get books into a compatible format for the chosen eReader. But I don’t want to loads tons of books on at once or she’ll be overwhelmed. Do all eReaders allow someone to add books from any computer/tablet signed into that eReader’s account? I seem to remember being able to load mobi/azw3 books onto a Kindle account (I was using the Kindle app at the time) even though they weren’t purchased directly from Amazon.

I need something that she can just turn on, see a few books, touch the book, and pick up where she left off. Then, every few weeks (or whatever timeframe), I can remove what she’s read and add a couple of new options.

Is something like this even feasible or would it be likely that she’d get “lost” somewhere in the user interface? If that happens, she won’t try to use it again. So, ease of use is the most important feature.

It just makes me sad that the one thing she had left that she can do and enjoy (reading) she’s not able to do now and that leaves her just kinda sitting around doing nothing. That’s no kind of life.

Any info/advice would be amazing! Thanks in advance!
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
You can add books remotely on a Kindle and you can remove them remotely, using the Kindle "Manage your Device" page.
For book in Calibre, you just "mail" the book to the Kindle (or use the Send to Kindle page). They can then be managed in the "Docs" heading of the "Manage Your Content Page"--sent to a device or removed completely from Amazon.

Unfortunately this doesn't work as well with books purchased on Amazon--the modern Amazon interface seems to display all books you have purchased on the main "Library" screen, even if not on the device.

All this assumes, of course, that you have access to Amazon account.

I have no idea whether you can do anything similar on Kobo or Pocketbook.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Since you're looking to handle all the bookkeeping for her using Calibre, I think you might be better off with a Kobo device, since it has the best Calibre integration and out-of-the-box support for sideloading. You could even enable sideload mode to remove the Kobo storefront from the UI entirely, thus reducing clutter that might confuse her.

Since you're using Calibre, you could probably pre-format all the books' CSS for her benefit, e.g. changing the default font size to some huge value that suits her eyesight, so she doesn't have to deal with the font menu at all. This would significantly reduce the amount of tinkering in menus she would have to do, as when you buy a book directly from the store, you have to adjust the font face/size/margins manually for each book, which would probably annoy her. If you're taking care of that behind the scenes to automatically make all her books super large print, she would probably find it easier to use.

I believe Calibre supports syncing over Wi-Fi, but I'll let a Calibre expert chime in regarding how you could remotely handle updating her library for her. I'm pretty sure that the default sync operation tied to the Kobo store only lets you download your recent purchases; it can't delete anything from your e-reader, so if you want to manually add and remove books for her, you can't do that without Calibre, at least in the Kobo world.

Regarding models, you'd probably want the 8" Sage at minimum, as 6" and 7" e-readers can't fit much text on the screen if you're using huge font sizes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does your mother have a computer? If she does, you can do what I used to do for my mother. I would use TeamViewer to connect to her laptop and upload books and put them in her Calibre library. All she had to do was plugin the Sony Reader, press the connect button and I would then manage the books on her Sony for her. When I was done and I'd eject the Sony, she'd unplug the USB cable and she was good to go.

The real question is how large a screen do you think she needs? If she has a computer, and 7" is good, go with a Libra 2. If she needs a larger screen, then maybe a a Kindle Sage would do. If she doesn't have a computer and a 7" screen would do, then a Kindle PW5 or Oasis would do. But she would need Internet access for you to manage her books on her device regardless of Kobo or Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have a correction: it appears that moving a book to your archive on the Kobo site will automatically remove it from your e-reader the next time you sync, so you do have the power to remove books from her device, as long as you can get her to tap the sync button now and then.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 05:31 AM   #6
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does your mother have a computer? If she does, you can do what I used to do for my mother. I would use TeamViewer to connect to her laptop and upload books and put them in her Calibre library. All she had to do was plugin the Sony Reader, press the connect button and I would then manage the books on her Sony for her. When I was done and I'd eject the Sony, she'd unplug the USB cable and she was good to go.

The real question is how large a screen do you think she needs? If she has a computer, and 7" is good, go with a Libra 2. If she needs a larger screen, then maybe a a Kindle Sage would do. If she doesn't have a computer and a 7" screen would do, then a Kindle PW5 or Oasis would do. But she would need Internet access for you to manage her books on her device regardless of Kobo or Kindle.
Unfortunately she doesn’t. She just made a conscious decision about 10 years ago that she didn’t need to do all that. Her sisters use computers and email and I even setup a gmail account for her but I think she figured that the technology was just beyond her.

This is why, if I’m going to be able to make this work, I have to have a stupid simple plan so she doesn’t have to do much. I’m hoping that she could just choose from a handful of books, then click and read.

I don’t honestly think that she needs a huge screen. She’d quickly get used to the digital action of “turning the page” and I think not having something that cumbersome and heavy would be more appealing. Sounds like the Kindle might be a reasonable option, then. If we do go that route, I’m thinking of springing for the “no ads” version. That would just be extra confusion.

Thanks so much for sharing. What a cool setup you created for getting books to your mom. Amazing! I wish I had a way to emulate that for my MIL.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid View Post
She’s a complete technophobe. Doesn’t know how to turn on a computer and doesn’t want to know. She does use a cell phone (dumb phone) and she’s cognitively very sharp. We live 1200 miles away from her and I have a fair number of books on our Calibre server (some mobi from Kindle purchases and other are ePub).

I need something that she can just turn on, see a few books, touch the book, and pick up where she left off. Then, every few weeks (or whatever timeframe), I can remove what she’s read and add a couple of new options.
PW5 or Oasis. My dad used a Kindle PW till 91 and earlier had used email, ebay, etc on his computer and I was never able to "remotely" send him an ebook.

You will not be able to manage remotely except an Amazon account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does your mother have a computer? If she does, you can do what I used to do for my mother. I would use TeamViewer to connect to her laptop and upload books and put them in her Calibre library.
See above. Not feasible.

My mother had a mobile (hardly used) and two TVs (Sky, Sat TV on one). No-one was allowed to change channel on them. The one with sat box only accessed first few Sky Channels and the Kitchen one not changed at all. She was a keen reader but had no interest in eReader despite eyesight getting poor.

Unless you live nearby (you don't), really only option is KIndle and that you manage her Amazon account. Her payment details and address.

Much as I think Kobo is far better and think "Send to Kindle" is an abomination, this is one situation where you can send PD ebooks to her Kindle.
An internet & WiFi point may be too awkward, so the Amazon Kindles with 3G/4G are ideal for this.

If she was an existing PC user a Kobo and Calibre might be better, but even at 200 miles I was too far from my Dad to manage that. Also he was a long time computer user (PC still Win98 in 2020) and though he could afford it wouldn't buy a laptop with a newer OS to replace the old tower. By the time I had a spare laptop he wasn't using the PC and didn't want one.

My sister lived nearer and was an IT manager and refused to sort out his computer problems about a decade earlier, so when there was a problem (often) the local computer place would wipe and re-install Win98!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:36 AM   #8
varaonaid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Since you're looking to handle all the bookkeeping for her using Calibre, I think you might be better off with a Kobo device, since it has the best Calibre integration and out-of-the-box support for sideloading. You could even enable sideload mode to remove the Kobo storefront from the UI entirely, thus reducing clutter that might confuse her.

Since you're using Calibre, you could probably pre-format all the books' CSS for her benefit, e.g. changing the default font size to some huge value that suits her eyesight, so she doesn't have to deal with the font menu at all. This would significantly reduce the amount of tinkering in menus she would have to do, as when you buy a book directly from the store, you have to adjust the font face/size/margins manually for each book, which would probably annoy her. If you're taking care of that behind the scenes to automatically make all her books super large print, she would probably find it easier to use.

I believe Calibre supports syncing over Wi-Fi, but I'll let a Calibre expert chime in regarding how you could remotely handle updating her library for her. I'm pretty sure that the default sync operation tied to the Kobo store only lets you download your recent purchases; it can't delete anything from your e-reader, so if you want to manually add and remove books for her, you can't do that without Calibre, at least in the Kobo world.

Regarding models, you'd probably want the 8" Sage at minimum, as 6" and 7" e-readers can't fit much text on the screen if you're using huge font sizes.
Thanks so much for this info! I actually wondered about a Kobo device but I know very little about it. I like that one can side-load. That’s a cool feature.

The only thing I’d have to figure out is how I’d handle the adding/removing the books remotely. If I could do that with Calibre, that would be amazing but I don’t know if either the Kobo or Calibre have the ability to do that remotely. If not, I’m curious what the Kobo device itself has for managing books. Obviously, I could create an account for her I’m just not familiar with their system or UI. I do like that it uses ePub by default (I thought it did anyway, please correct me if I’m wrong). I’ll definitely take a look at those!

Thanks so mcuh for sharing and for the very helpful info!
Old 11-26-2022, 06:04 AM   #9
catonroof
catonroof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900, iPad Mini, Kobo Aura One
What I found with my tech challenged mother-in-law was that she didn't mind reading on an e-reader, the problem for her was how to choose which book to read. Obviously no back cover to read summary and she didn't wan't to use a computer and check on the books she had on the ereader.
Sigh...
catonroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varaonaid View Post
Thanks so much for this info! I actually wondered about a Kobo device but I know very little about it. I like that one can side-load. That’s a cool feature.

The only thing I’d have to figure out is how I’d handle the adding/removing the books remotely. If I could do that with Calibre, that would be amazing but I don’t know if either the Kobo or Calibre have the ability to do that remotely.
By preference I only read on a Kobo, but used to use Kindle. What you want really needs a 3G/4G cell enabled Kindle and you operating your Mum's Amazon Account.

A Kobo is far better, but only if the Kobo user can use a computer (Mac, Linux or Windows). Also a Kobo without a PC needs WiFi, no cellular version, though a dedicated celluar hot spot is possible but costs money, as does broadband. The 3G/4G downloads of bought ebooks on a Kindle is free and there is no standing charges / rental. There is a small charge for Cell/Mobile downloads per ebook you send from Calibre to Amazon's "Send to Kindle" service, which also now has a web interface. It only takes epub, but converts them to Kindle format for the PW5 or Oasis.
If the 3G/4G is left on (Airplane mode off) then your mum's 3G/4G version Kindle will automatically mirror what ever you set up on the Amazon "Content and Devices" page.

It's not impossible to do it with a Kobo, but much more costly as you'd want real broadband, a PC as a "server" and WiFi. Simpler and cheaper for you to use the Amazon Website, Send to Kindle and a Kindle with 3g/4G Cell/Mobile built in.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-26-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:27 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonroof View Post
What I found with my tech challenged mother-in-law was that she didn't mind reading on an e-reader, the problem for her was how to choose which book to read. Obviously no back cover to read summary and she didn't wan't to use a computer and check on the books she had on the ereader.
Sigh...
With a Kobo you can put the synopsis in the book details. Or you could insert a book jacket with the synopsis in the book, via Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I take it dropbox on the Kobo would be too complicated?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I take it dropbox on the Kobo would be too complicated?
No internet, I presume. And if so, then a 3G/4G Kindle would be the only solution.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No internet, I presume. And if so, then a 3G/4G Kindle would be the only solution.
If she is still getting out and about, perodic visits to the library or coffee shop might work.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Our libraries have free WiFi. It doesn't work on Kindle or Kobo because the Login with your library ID doesn't work. Also all traffic is logged. Security.

Tags
ereader, seniors