Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Free Digital Magazines from the Public Library

This is a spinoff from another thread meant to inform more people about borrowing magazines via Zinio from public libraries.

Recorded Books Partners with Zinio to offer Digital Magazines at Public Libraries

Quote:
June 22, 2011 -- Recorded Books, the world’s largest independent producer of audiobooks, has announced that it will begin distribution of the popular Zinio digital newsstand to public libraries in the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. “Zinio for Libraries” will allow public library patrons to read, interact with and explore the largest selection of magazines by just using their library card.
Think of this as the OverDrive for magazines. According to this article, there are over 1,400 libraries offering this service; so there's a strong chance a library near you may have it. At least five of my libraries do. Just like the number of ebooks varies from library to library, so do the number of magazines. If one your libraries doesn't have a particular magazine, then another might. It pays to belong to as many libraries as you can.

So, how do you download them? First, check to see if your library offers Zinio. Look for it in the digital download section. Next step is to set up your accounts. You'll need a library account and two Zinio accounts. It's quite easy. See the following for help:

Tutorials / Help
Borrowing Facts
  • no due dates - magazines can be kept forever
  • no check out limits - you can check out as many magazines as you want
  • no automatic renewals - you must check out every magazine you want
  • no back issues - except those you've previously checked out
  • can be read offline - just download to your device
  • no device limits (that I'm aware of yet)

These magazines can be read on multiple devices via the Zinio app. They're stored in Zinio's cloud and can be downloaded and removed as often as you want.

Just remember to borrow magazines from your library's Zinio portal and not directly from Zinio. The two are not the same. Your library will only have around 200 magazines in its collection compared to over 5,500 in Zinio's. If you've previously purchased magazines from Zinio, the magazines you borrow will show up alongside them. Essentially, you're getting free magazine subscriptions; as long as you check out the latest issue. There's no ability to borrow issues you've missed; you'll need to purchase them.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-12-2013 at 01:36 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So far I will admit not being that impressed by the Zinio appliction on my Nexus 7
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
For eInk, libraries often have a text-based service like EBSCO MasterFILE or Academic Search Premier. I bring up the articles I want on a PC, and then transfer them to the eReader with a service such as Readability.com, Instapaper.com, klip.me, or -- the one I use lately -- Amazon's Send to Kindle.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So far I will admit not being that impressed by the Zinio appliction on my Nexus 7
I don't like it on my my Nexus 7 either; but it's great on my Fire HD 8.9 and Nook HD+. You really need at least a 9" tablet for magazines.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
For eInk, libraries often have a text-based service like EBSCO MasterFILE or Academic Search Premier. I bring up the articles I want on a PC, and then transfer them to the eReader with a service such as Readability.com, Instapaper.com, klip.me, or -- the one I use lately -- Amazon's Send to Kindle.
I want the pretty pictures
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is a spinoff from another thread meant to inform more people about borrowing magazines via Zinio from public libraries.

Recorded Books Partners with Zinio to offer Digital Magazines at Public Libraries

Think of this as the OverDrive for magazines. According to this article, there are over 1,400 libraries offering this service; so there's a strong chance a library near you may have it. At least five of my libraries do. Just like the number of ebooks varies from library to library, so do the number of magazines. If one your libraries doesn't have a particular magazine, then another might. It pays to belong to as many libraries as you can.

Thanks TM. Just recently found out about this.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Here's a new article from CNET about this feature; along with their typical iDevice bias.

How to check out free Zinio digital magazines from your library

Quote:
If your library allows it, you can enjoy endless magazines on your phone, tablet, or PC -- all at no charge.

Public libraries are so awesome. (Thanks, Ben Franklin!) They let you borrow not only physical books, DVDs, and the like, but also digital content like e-books and audiobooks.

And, now, digital magazines, too. Many libraries have partnered with Zinio to offer e-zines you can check out and read on a variety of devices. As a big fan of doing exactly that on my iPad, I was excited to discover that my local library (here in metro Detroit) is now offering this awesome option.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Unfortunately, none of my libraries is doing it.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Unfortunately, none of my libraries is doing it.
Sorry to hear that. Are they receptive to requests? Drop them a line and request it.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Are they receptive to requests? Drop them a line and request it.
Two are local. I know one is broke and the other is small. :P The only other one I have access to is FLP. They'd be the most likely to do it, IMO, but I might check with the others.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
When last I checked, FLP was not going to join the program.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I discovered this on one of my local library sites not too long ago, but I didn't realize they could be downloaded. I need to figure out how to do it.

Do they download as PDFs, or are they only readable in the Zinio application? (I know, RTFM...I'm at work and just checking in quick! )
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I discovered this on one of my local library sites not too long ago, but I didn't realize they could be downloaded. I need to figure out how to do it.
Just follow the steps I outlined in the OP. It's really easy.

Quote:
Do they download as PDFs, or are they only readable in the Zinio application? (I know, RTFM...I'm at work and just checking in quick! )
I have no idea what format they're in. I just download and read them inside the Zinio app on my tablets and PC. Never attempted to do so outside of the app, because I'm happy with the way it works now.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Two are local. I know one is broke and the other is small. :P The only other one I have access to is FLP. They'd be the most likely to do it, IMO, but I might check with the others.
I wish you luck. Zinio is a fantastic feature and adds great value to public libraries.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I have no idea what format they're in. I just download and read them inside the Zinio app on my tablets and PC. Never attempted to do so outside of the app, because I'm happy with the way it works now.
When I looked at the listing in the google play store yesterday, all the recent reviews were complaints that a recent update turned the app from great to terrible.

I also got spooked out of installing it when one of the requested permissions was access to all information in all accounts.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote