Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Beetle B.
Beetle B. began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aluratek and Adobe Digital Editions

I just bought an Aluratek.

When I get a book from the library, I can transfer it to the Aluratek using ADE. It creates a directory called Digital Editions. Now the pain is that if I want to read that ePub, I have to go to the Settings and manually navigate to the directory. When I'm done reading, it puts me in the eBooks menu, which does not have the library books - I then have to navigate back.

I know if I manually move the Digital Editions directory under the Books directory, it then shows up in the eBooks menu. But that's a pain.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.
Beetle B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Why not just move it while you are still connected to your PC with the USB cable?
You have all the file handling capabilities of your PC on hand and can just drag and
drop the files between windows for your internal memory and your SD card. Or just
within your internal memory's file structure, if that is what you want.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Beetle B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Why not just move it while you are still connected to your PC with the USB cable?
You have all the file handling capabilities of your PC on hand and can just drag and
drop the files between windows for your internal memory and your SD card. Or just
within your internal memory's file structure, if that is what you want.
Well, here's the funny thing - it doesn't seem to work if I copy the ePub manually. Aluratek says it can't open the file. What files do I need to copy - just the ePub?

A mild complication is that I actually use Linux, and in the long run just manage this under Calibre. The goal is to download using ADE (in Win XP Pro - VirtualBox). Then copy the file to Linux, import it into Calibre, and copy it using that. However, if I do it that way, it can't open the file. So far the only way I've found to open the file is if ADE transfers it.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK; I would forget Calibre -or- remove the DRM from the file. For a Library book that
seems impractical and inapproprate.

When you have ADE running and connect the Libre, you should be able to have ADE
"transfer" the ebook to your Libre and then use the XP Windows Explorer to open a
window for the drive letter that is your Libre's internal memory (and a window for the
SD card, if one is in there). After that it is just a matter of draging & dropping the .epub
or .pdf files to where you want them in your ebook file structure.

The books should now be listed in your menus and be readable in the Libre.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Beetle B.

Yes, but that seems like a royal pain - to always have to move each file manually.

From what I've read on the Calibre forums, what I'm asking for should work. Is this just an Aluratek issue?
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard

A royal pain? It's just a few clicks.

Calibre will not work with files that still have DRM applied to them. ADE doesn't remove
the DRM, it kinda reinforces it with a device dependancy.

Is there now a Calibre plug-in for ADE?

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Beetle B.

Quote:
A royal pain? It's just a few clicks.
Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's not just a simple copy. Calibre creates a folder with the name of the author, and puts the file in it. I could create such a folder manually, but you see what I mean.

I suspect ADE encrypts it for my Aluratek when I copy it onto it. So perhaps I should try copying to the Aluratek, then copying it to the HD, and then let Calibre manage it.

Quote:
Calibre will not work with files that still have DRM applied to them. ADE doesn't remove
the DRM, it kinda reinforces it with a device dependancy.
I'm aware of that. I don't want to read it using Calibre - I just want to manage it (have it copy to the right place, etc). Others on the Calibre forum have reported success with Calibre managing it - I just can't seem to do it.

I guess I wasn't clear - one of the reasons I want to do things this way is that my VirtualBox Win XP Pro USB support is buggy - and my OS is Linux. So copying files to the Aluratek via Windows may not always work for me. Damn Adobe for not having Linux support.

Random question: If I get an SD card and put my books onto that, then will I always have to navigate to them using the Settings menu? And then when I quit one book, I'll have to navigate again, as it seems to return me to the eBooks directory?
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Hi Beetle B., I don't have a lot of time to reply now but read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=97944&page=2

If you have all of your books on your SD card, they should all show up, including library books.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
If you are jumping between open ebooks you should be able to access them via the "Recent Reading List". The only time you would need to drill down would be when your reading list goes beyond 1 page or you want to start a new ebook. Once the new ebook has been opened it should then be added to the "Recent Reading List" automatically. Even if you exit the ebook and go to another folder you always have access to your "Recent Reading List" from any dirrectory just be hitting the "Menu" button.

The other option is to install a dual boot on your PC. I also have XP and Linux on my Netbook, but I run a dual boot and switch to whatever system as I need to.

You can access all files via Linux if you need too.

I remove DRM from all ADE DRM ePub/PDF and therefore can place all books in whatever folder I want. I keep a master copy of my SD card on my Harddrive and make all changes to it. Then I start up SyncToy to sync up the ereader when I am ready to migrate the changes. ADE DRM is used strickly for the inital purchase or the library access.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 12-02-2010 at 11:25 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote