Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Sync PC Kindle with Kindle and IPad Kindle?

I’ve just installed PC Kindle and Calibre to work on MOBI and EPUB books from a friend. What is the recommendation of more experienced users as to the best way to manage my library from now on? If I do so on the PC, can I sync that so that the other devices have identical libraries? How about Calibre, is that also a candidate for book management please?

In short, I’d appreciate any practical advice please.

For background I have about 450 books bought over the years from Amazon UK, which I read mainly on my KB Kindle and iPad. They are not well organised!

Terry

Last edited by terrypin; 01-18-2021 at 03:01 PM.
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle eBooks will never be well organized as Kindle apps and Kindle Readers don't do eBook organization well at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I easily manage all my eBooks with Calibre, no matter where purchased. I sync with my Kindle Paperwhite via Calibre. I'm not sure if Calibre will sync with Kindle Fire or with iPad, as I haven't tried those. For sheer organization ability, and having all my books in one place on my PC, Calibre makes this librarian a happy reader.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Basically you have two options:

1. Calibre. Library management is excellent, but no syncing between different apps and devices.

2. Amazon Cloud. No library management to speak of, but syncing between different Kindle apps and Kindle devices.

Unfortunately you cannot have both, good library management and syncing between different devices.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle eBooks will never be well organized as Kindle apps and Kindle Readers don't do eBook organization well at all.
They can be perfectly well organized in Calibre. Of course you lose syncing then.
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Thanks all, appreciate those helpful replies. Disappointed but not too surprised to hear that Calibre cannot sync to iOS devices. But can PC Kindle do so?
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Thanks all, appreciate those helpful replies. Disappointed but not too surprised to hear that Calibre cannot sync to iOS devices. But can PC Kindle do so?
In what way do you mean? Reading progress, yes, but only for books directly downloaded from Amazon. Collections, I'm not sure. I think not, but I may be wrong.

Edit: For Calibre and iOS, there's the Calibre Companion app. Look it up. I don't think it can sync reading progress between PC and iPad, though.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-18-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like Kindle for PC doesn't use the collections from the cloud, so the collections won't sync.

That being said, reading position and annotations/bookmarks will still sync using Kindle for PC, and collections from iOS, Android, Fire devices, and e-ink Kindles will all sync with the collections in your Kindle cloud.

I don't think any of these will sync with Calibre, though...sorry. It is pretty easy to manage your collections from your Contents and Devices page on the Amazon website, and then you can use those on your iOS devices.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
So even if I'd put the same azw3 file on two kindles it won't do an md5 hash (or similar) and sync the reading progress?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
So even if I'd put the same azw3 file on two kindles it won't do an md5 hash (or similar) and sync the reading progress?
No. You'd have to send the book to the Kindle Cloud via email or the Send-to-Kindle app. But those won't accept azw3. There are ways around that, but they don't always work.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No. You'd have to send the book to the Kindle Cloud via email or the Send-to-Kindle app. But those won't accept azw3. There are ways around that, but they don't always work.
Yeah, it'll convert to mobi and it may affect formatting. Not a big fan.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
You can create a dual mobi using Calibre and send that via email or send to kindle app, that way azw3 (kf8) format will be delivered to the device when downloaded from the cloud.

To get a dual mobi, in the Calibre conversion options, go to MOBI output and under MOBI file type choose "both"

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-19 (2).png
Views:	87
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	184827  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You can preserve formatting by converting to EPUB with kindleunpack, then using kindlegen to make a dual mobi.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:24 AM   #14
rantanplan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You can create a dual mobi using Calibre and send that via email or send to kindle app, that way azw3 (kf8) format will be delivered to the device when downloaded from the cloud.

To get a dual mobi, in the Calibre conversion options, go to MOBI output and under MOBI file type choose "both"

Shari
Interesting, I need to play around with that. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #15
rantanplan
Fanatic

Kindle Previewer automatically generates dual-format mobi, if I export the book in this format. Interesting.