Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And so close to St. Patrick’s Day, too. Tsk, tsk. Or is Ireland not a major Anglophone nation? NZ’s smaller but not by much and Ireland’s much smaller than Australia.
Now THAT was an egregious error on my part. Though in my defence, Ireland has embraced the revival of its indigenous language with more vigor than NZ, making it seem more Irish, and a bit less militantly English. If the NZ Head of State and/or Government were to be given Māori titles the was Ireland has given its Irish ones, the howls of outrage would be heard from Dublin.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Though in my defence, Ireland has embraced the revival of its indigenous language with more vigor than NZ, making it seem more Irish, and a bit less militantly English. If the NZ Head of State and/or Government were to be given Māori titles the was Ireland has given its Irish ones, the howls of outrage would be heard from Dublin.
You lost me.
But even in the 1950s compared to Israel the revival of Irish is a disaster. Today not ONE Irish local council does its meetings in Irish. Wales is more successful. There are Welsh councils that use Welsh.

Irish people themselves suppressed Irish in the 18th and 19th C in the belief that being Native English speakers would be more advantageous. Irish names have revived. But the Irish language is dying. There are more native Polish speakers here.

Ireland (The Republic)
English speaking Radio: 1922
Irish speaking radio: 1972
Ireland watched UK TV from 1950 approximately. Local TV started 31st December 1961. Mostly in English,
Irish Language TV in 1996!

Welsh TV in 1982 (S4C). But the BBC had Welsh before that and it was always replaced by the test card in Northern Ireland, except for the Annual Eisteddfod. Though once cut by accident in BBC Belfast. The Irish Language Radio and TV was added in NI on local transmitters after the 1998 GFA!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You lost me.
But even in the 1950s compared to Israel the revival of Irish is a disaster. Today not ONE Irish local council does its meetings in Irish. Wales is more successful. There are Welsh councils that use Welsh.

Irish people themselves suppressed Irish in the 18th and 19th C in the belief that being Native English speakers would be more advantageous. Irish names have revived. But the Irish language is dying. There are more native Polish speakers here.GFA!

Thanks for the correction - my comment was motivated by appearances from the outside, apologies. I have no idea what the Māori equivalent of "Prime Minister" or "Deputy Prime Minister" would be, but from what I know of NZ, I do think the cries of outrage would be deafening if they went with local versions like Ireland has with Taioseach and Tánaiste.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Now I get you. I'm not sure about the outrage as "an bord sláinte" is usually called the Health Board.

I think media abroad often has Prime Minister and Deputy minister as they can't pronounce the Irish. Even people here with no Irish have an idea of pronunciation.

The old English for Tánaiste is Tanist. Both really mean understudy/heir to the leader. In Ireland before English Henry II, there was no primogeniture. The nobles of a tribe picked a Tánaiste by vote to be the successor, and trained, while the king/prince/chief still ruled. Henry II told Chiefs:
"If you swear allegiance to me I will hand you back the land and it will be hereditary."
Though someone from a Chief's family might get elected. One of the last was Grainne. Her father was Chief or King in Mayo. So she was a Queen. The English called her Princess Grace O'Malley, the Pirate. She was born and died about the same time as Queen Elisabeth. They met and used their common language, Latin. The last High King, was 500 years earlier and not a National ruler. Ireland as a Nation is really an 18th C. idea.

Edit
Scottish is Bòrd-Slàinte
You'll find Scots Gaelic on the web for Scottish health boards, but English for the Irish ones.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-16-2021 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Scottish
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:56 AM   #20
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If the NZ Head of State and/or Government were to be given Māori titles the was Ireland has given its Irish ones, the howls of outrage would be heard from Dublin.
I'm not so sure about that. There are more and more Māori words and phrases being used by radio and TV presenters and in newspapers, and in both TV1 and TV3 weather forecasts the Māori names for the towns and cities are used together with the English names. Many words are also appearing in normal everyday usage. Every year there is a Māori language week, and Matariki (Māori New Year) has recently been announced as a public holiday in future years. Some people are, of course, opposed and do occasionally scream very loudly.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:39 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
I'm not so sure about that. There are more and more Māori words and phrases being used by radio and TV presenters and in newspapers, and in both TV1 and TV3 weather forecasts the Māori names for the towns and cities are used together with the English names. Many words are also appearing in normal everyday usage. Every year there is a Māori language week, and Matariki (Māori New Year) has recently been announced as a public holiday in future years. Some people are, of course, opposed and do occasionally scream very loudly.
Thanks for that. I do recall reading this week that the NZ PM is now a giant insect?