Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM   #31756
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Spoiler alert! [For E.E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensmen series]

Spoiler:

There aren't any major difference, at least until later in Gray Lensman, but a number of phraseology changes, and a lessening of the Arisian appearance of competency. They are still really smart, but nearly as overpowering as in the novel version.

Several general examples of changes:

Galactic Patrol: When Kinnison captures 6 Boskonian ships, the surviving crew of Britiannia are scattered among the 6 ships, rather than being concentrated in one ship of the 6 in the novel.

Gray Lensman: in the torture scene with the Delgonian Overlord, Kinnison ends up physically fighting the Overlord, (completely implausible!) rather than having the worm switch off the thought screen. (obviously an editorial re-write, and a clumsy one at that!)

No major scene omissions or insertions, just editorial steeping on various scenes, from trivial to major.

I haven't started on Second Stage Lensmen yet.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-15-2024 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added context
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 05:34 AM   #31757
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And finally bringing myself up-to-day, I'm reading Uprising by Justin Kemppainen. A self-published post-apocalyptic novel, I'm not sure I'm going to finish it.
I did finish it, but it had too much going on to be good. 2/5

Next I read To Crush the Moon the fourth (& last) in Wil McCarthy's Queendom of Sol series. And the reason for the framing of the previous two books becomes apparent. It sort of works. I still think it would have been better not done that way, but perhaps that's just me. An OK ending.

And then there was The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L Sayers. Which I enjoyed, although I couldn't following the bell-ringing jargon.

And One Virgin Too Many by Lindsay Davis, the 11th in her Falco series, which I had not read before. Excellent.

And now I'm reading the March freebie from the University of Chicago: The Tiger in the Attic by Edith Milton. A memoir of a Jewish refugee in England.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #31758
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Spoiler alert! [For E.E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensmen series]

Spoiler:

There aren't any major difference, at least until later in Gray Lensman, but a number of phraseology changes, and a lessening of the Arisian appearance of competency. They are still really smart, but nearly as overpowering as in the novel version.

Several general examples of changes:

Galactic Patrol: When Kinnison captures 6 Boskonian ships, the surviving crew of Britiannia are scattered among the 6 ships, rather than being concentrated in one ship of the 6 in the novel.

Gray Lensman: in the torture scene with the Delgonian Overlord, Kinnison ends up physically fighting the Overlord, (completely implausible!) rather than having the worm switch off the thought screen. (obviously an editorial re-write, and a clumsy one at that!)

No major scene omissions or insertions, just editorial steeping on various scenes, from trivial to major.

I haven't started on Second Stage Lensmen yet.

Thank you.

Your findings about Smith's serialized novels are generally the same that I have experienced in serialized novels published in popular SF magazines (especially 'IF Science Fiction' and 'Galaxy Magazine of Science Fiction', and even short story collections of the 1940s and 1950s, such as A.E. Van Vogt's Null series and in Clifford D. Simak ('City'), and in Zenna Henderson's work). In fact, this seemed to be the norm back then, perhaps due to an attempt to legitimize the field as authors attempted to dig SF out of its perceived 'ghetto market' persona; and, in addition, as publishers (perhaps due to Ray Bradbury's growing influence in the early 50s, and then later with Harlan Ellison's landmark 'Dangerous Visions' anthology in 1967.) I'm also thinking of Robert Silverberg as he abandoned the pulpish SF of his early period. The same can be said of Michael Moorcok's mature work, as well, I believe. Of course, all of this is an over-simplification of why serialized novels were later fleshed out to a different level of emancipation as authors embraced a more mature, universal, and personal vision of their work.

And don't forget money!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-16-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:43 AM   #31759
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Reading the Project Gutenberg Astounding versions of the E. E. Smith PHD Lensmen core tetrology. It's been interesting to see the "Campbell editing" vis-a-vis the later Reading Press versions.
I've been meaning to read Lensmen because it was the inspiration for DC's Green Lantern Corps. I do have the anime of Lensmen but I haven't watched since shortly after getting the laserdisc about 20+ years ago.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #31760
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you.

Your findings about Smith's serialized novels are generally the same that I have experienced in serialized novels published in popular SF magazines (especially 'IF Science Fiction' and 'Galaxy Magazine of Science Fiction', and even short story collections of the 1940s and 1950s, such as A.E. Van Vogt's Null series and in Clifford D. Simak ('City'), and in Zenna Henderson's work). In fact, this seemed to be the norm back then, perhaps due to an attempt to legitimize the field as authors attempted to dig SF out of its perceived 'ghetto market' persona; and, in addition, as publishers (perhaps due to Ray Bradbury's growing influence in the early 50s, and then later with Harlan Ellison's landmark 'Dangerous Visions' anthology in 1967.) I'm also thinking of Robert Silverberg as he abandoned the pulpish SF of his early period. The same can be said of Michael Moorcok's mature work, as well, I believe. Of course, all of this is an over-simplification of why serialized novels were later fleshed out to a different level of emancipation as authors embraced a more mature, universal, and personal vision of their work.

And don't forget money!

Dr. Drib, I have downloaded off of Internet Archive the Astoundings that contain Heinlein's Methuselah's Children I hope to get to it in a month or two (this is the busy time of year for me), and will give a review of the differences.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:22 PM   #31761
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Dr. Drib, I have downloaded off of Internet Archive the Astoundings that contain Heinlein's Methuselah's Children I hope to get to it in a month or two (this is the busy time of year for me), and will give a review of the differences.
Great! I read that years ago, but in a publsihed [Signet?] paperback edition.

Let us all know about your impressions.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:17 PM   #31762
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Great! I read that years ago, but in a publsihed [Signet?] paperback edition.

Let us all know about your impressions.

Roger, wilco.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:12 PM   #31763
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I just picked up the first volume of Spy x Family. It's about a spy who, as part of a mission, must acquire a wife and child...and he does so. What he doesn't know is that his "wife" is a extremely deadly assassin, and his "child" is a telepath.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:37 AM   #31764
SomeSteve
Groupie
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
In fact, this seemed to be the norm back then, perhaps due to an attempt to legitimize the field as authors attempted to dig SF out of its perceived 'ghetto market' persona; and, in addition, as publishers (perhaps due to Ray Bradbury's growing influence in the early 50s, and then later with Harlan Ellison's landmark 'Dangerous Visions' anthology in 1967.)
Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions are scheduled to come out as ebooks on March 26, 2024 and June 4, 2024, respectively.

Dangerous Visions - March 26, 2024

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dangerous-visions-6

Again, Dangerous Visions - June 4, 2024

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/aga...rous-visions-4
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:57 AM   #31765
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Just finished Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole, my second book of his, very talented writer.
Just started Crooked Plow by Itamar Viera Junior, which was just nominated on the International Booker Prize 2024
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote