Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What friendly book will we read in June?
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian 7 53.85%
A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 3 23.08%
My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante 5 38.46%
Absolute Friends by John Le Carré 6 46.15%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 8 61.54%
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman 4 30.77%
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 5 38.46%
The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie 6 46.15%
The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff 2 15.38%
Truth and Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett 3 23.08%
Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #61
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had the same problem and have mostly switched to reading. When I listen to the audiobook, I've been using the Kindle app since I have the Lee audiobook whispersynced with a Kindle book. Then it follows along on the screen. When I lose concentration, then I quickly can grab my nearby phone, pause the audio, read the passage and restart easily.

Lee is a good narrator. It might be the phrasing of the older translation and the unfamiliarity of the French names that make it harder than typical to listen and comprehend.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #62
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm on the verge of borrowing the Classics Illustrated comic book from Hoopla.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
After the first couple chapters I no longer had to force myself to keep going. It took a while for me to get to where the pace/style of the book was comfortable. I probably won't be finished in time, but should be close.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
After the first couple chapters I no longer had to force myself to keep going. It took a while for me to get to where the pace/style of the book was comfortable. I probably won't be finished in time, but should be close.
I'm powering through, but I might as well be listening in French (which I don't understand). It's not actually reaching my brain.

Odd, because I didn't go into this with a bad attitude; I was looking forward to it.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #65
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It took me until about 35-40% before the pace started picking up. Until then it was slow going. It made me wonder where the serialization breaks were and if I should try to follow them for pacing.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #66
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd be interested to know that. One could guess a chapter at a time, but it's hard to be sure without some confirmation against accounts of the period. (For me, it started to pick up at around 50%. I'm quite enjoying it now, but only in the Hobson eBook. I abandoned the audio book based on the Victorian translation.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Any Leave It to Beaver fans here? I'm remembering the episode where the Beav has to write a book report on The Three Musketeeers, leaves it till the last weekend, and then watches a movie version with Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers.

That very movie is free on my cable system right now ...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Any Leave It to Beaver fans here? I'm remembering the episode where the Beav has to write a book report on The Three Musketeeers, leaves it till the last weekend, and then watches a movie version with Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers.
Mrs. Rayburn was not deceived. Gilbert was always a bad influence.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Mrs. Rayburn was not deceived. Gilbert was always a bad influence.
If only Beaver hadn't mentioned the singing and dancing, though, he might've gotten away with it.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #70
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If only Beaver hadn't mentioned the singing and dancing, though, he might've gotten away with it.

That's what I like, a screen adaptation faithful to the original, done with intelligence and sensitivity.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #71
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Very clever, even if not absolutely authentic!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #72
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Well, tomorrow is the reckoning, and I am only halfway through... I though I had started with a long enough lead, but events (and the book itself) seem to have conspired against me finishing in a timely manner.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #73
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Well, tomorrow is the reckoning, and I am only halfway through... I though I had started with a long enough lead, but events (and the book itself) seem to have conspired against me finishing in a timely manner.
I'll probably finish tonight, and still have time to read the comic book.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I'll probably finish tonight, and still have time to read the comic book.
I was disappointed to see that the comic book at Hoopla is the second Classics Comics edition, published in 1959 and 25% shorter than the first edition, published in 1941. Isn't dumbing down a comic book a redundancy?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #75
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was disappointed to see that the comic book at Hoopla is the second Classics Comics edition, published in 1959 and 25% shorter than the first edition, published in 1941. Isn't dumbing down a comic book a redundancy?
Hey, I grew up on comic books!