Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #31
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at what happened to Sears (Roebuck).

-----
Sears HAD the product, Warehouses and distribution, including 'Pickup points'
They had their heads buried and a death grip on the 'old ways'

-----
Amazon (and my ISP) offer what the user wants, and at a fair price. They don't play 'used car salesman' with their customers
Amen brother.

I loved to browse through the Brick and Mortar book stores. You picked up a book, read the front, the back, looked at a few pages and you knew exactly if you wanted it. "NEEDED it!!"

I loved to browse through the big Sears in the nearby town. I was a joy be be able to get exactly the single socket you needed to replace the missing one from your set. To see and feel that superb Craftsman "steel" was almost a religious feeling.

When I was a very little kid, if I was at my grandparents farm and it was raining or night so I couldn't go outside, I loved to browse that big Sears catalog.

Those were fine days with good memories, but the old mule granddaddy kept in the North "lot," though he had gotten a tractor which was up at the house, is no more.

My granddaddy is no more. Just a memory, a good memory, but no more.

We all have moved on. That is the way of it...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #32
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissanth12 View Post
But apparently King, Rowling and Patterson all hate Amazon.
Funny, after King wrote the book about the pink Kindle (sorry, can't remember the name, it was before I got a kindle and started using Calibre)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Funny, after King wrote the book about the pink Kindle (sorry, can't remember the name, it was before I got a kindle and started using Calibre)
With good reason.
The title is totally forgettable: UR.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...king-kindle-ur
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Yeah, I question where the info came from. That Patterson, King and Rowling hate Amazon. Sounds like a made-up fact.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #35
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I rarely shop at Amazon. If I can get it in a physical store I do. I will gladly pay a bit more for something I can get now. Many shopped Amazon several years back because of lower prices. That really is no longer the case. I can buy most things for around the same price at physical stores or even less in many cases. I also have an easier return time if need be. Amazon does see the need for physical stores and that is one reason they bought a stake in Whole Foods. Sending produce through the mail didn't work out so well I guess.lol. Happily many physical stores are combating Amazon on that front. Home delivery service,curbside pickup etc is becoming very popular. I don't see physical stores or even the book business being ruined by Amazon. They are indeed evolving to fight the quick rise of Amazon.

As for the Amazon Warehouses. There's one in my neck of the woods now. Pretty much everyone I have spoken with that work there..do not like it. Honest Mistakes are handled harshly there. We are talking stuff like accidentally putting the wrong item in a box.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #36
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
----

As for the Amazon Warehouses. There's one in my neck of the woods now. Pretty much everyone I have spoken with that work there..do not like it. Honest Mistakes are handled harshly there. We are talking stuff like accidentally putting the wrong item in a box.
Think about that customer waiting for that item. (Then it isn't there.)

The old rhyme depicts the situation well: "For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe the horse was lost, for want of the horse the rider was lost, for want of the rider the battle was lost!"

There is nothing new, modern, or digital in needing and indeed requiring accuracy!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #37
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Think about that customer waiting for that item. (Then it isn't there.)

The old rhyme depicts the situation well: "For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for want of a shoe the horse was lost, for want of the horse the rider was lost, for want of the rider the battle was lost!"

There is nothing new, modern, or digital in needing and indeed requiring accuracy!
Mistakes happen. As a consumer I understand this. I have gotten the wrong item through Amazon once. I merely called and they exchanged it. Human error will happen. Especially if they are packaging hundreds of boxes a day at a quick clip.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Mistakes happen. As a consumer I understand this. I have gotten the wrong item through Amazon once. I merely called and they exchanged it. Human error will happen. Especially if they are packaging hundreds of boxes a day at a quick clip.
Each mistake costs money.
Often more than the product is worth so one mistake could eat up the profit from a dozen comparable sales.

Just as there are some customers that cost more than they're worth, some employees are too expensive to keep.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #39
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Just as there are some customers that cost more than they're worth, some employees are too expensive to keep.
Will automation be the answer to both problems?
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
The latter, for sure, by offloading the high accuracy functions to robots. Which is why Amazon bought Kiva Systems in 2012.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kiva-...-amazon-2016-6

Those bemoaning the Amazon warehouse jobs should take heart; eventually they will all go away. Probably within a decade.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #41
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Those bemoaning the Amazon warehouse jobs should take heart; eventually they will all go away. Probably within a decade.
... which is also why we, as the customers, must decide what kind of market we want to support.

I still much, much prefer the traditional bookstore, where you can flip through books and where recommendations are handwritten on slips of papers next to books - by people you can actually talk to, since they're the store employees. And I'd still be buying my books there, if they had made the effort to include ebooks in their offers.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #42
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Each mistake costs money.
Often more than the product is worth so one mistake could eat up the profit from a dozen comparable sales.

True. But again human error. If a worker does a good job most of the time and puts an item In the wrong box they shouldn't be treated like the devil. We are not talking malpractice here. Lol. Amazon is making loads of money and misplaced product here or there won't break them. As for the customers who are obnoxious jerks about it that is probably a customer not worth having. There is not one person who works that hasn't made a human error. It happens. Now if it happens on a regular basis YES. That person should be let go. But one or two times during a mostly excellent track record... NO.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #43
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
The problem is that you can't have turtles all the way down. There is a limit to how much can be automated, especially in a fast changing area. Even automated processes have an error rate.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I still much, much prefer the traditional bookstore, where you can flip through books and where recommendations are handwritten on slips of papers next to books - by people you can actually talk to, since they're the store employees. And I'd still be buying my books there, if they had made the effort to include ebooks in their offers.
Unintentional irony?
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon retail operates on single-digit margins so the bottom line impact of each error is magnified. Plus it annoys customers and Amazon prefers to please customers over suppliers or warehouse employees.
(Which is why they prefer digital sales whenever possible. And why they automate as much as possible. Well built robots don't whine. I've done *remedial* warehouse work myself. Not much fun. But that's why its called work and not entertainment.)

The reason Amazon makes money off retail is that they minimize the opportunities for error. The more errors they squeeze out of the system the better for them and their customers.