Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 04:37 AM   #1
goldy123456
goldy123456 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
[Kobo] calibre displays 'error communicating with device'

calibre displays an error message when I try to connect my kindle. I tried the options provided in other threads like resetting my device but it didn't work. I tried different ports and cables but it didn't work.

calibre, version 3.26.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 470, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 153, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\driveinfo.calibre'

when I try to transfer a book, the following error is displayed:

calibre, version 3.26.1

[Error 5] Access is denied: 'H:\\documents\\Taleb, Nassim Nicholas'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 591, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 314, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1011, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: 'H:\\documents\\Taleb, Nassim Nicholas'

What should I do?
goldy123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are permissions denied errors -- iether you device is being mounted readonly or something like an antivirus is blocking calibre from accessing the files. https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
I received an error and am wondering if its similar or different.
NOTE: I am able to send books to the device just fine using 'save to disk' and all names are correct (tho still sometimes tiny covers)
Any ideas, Brains Trust?

calibre, version 5.20.0

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'I:\\driveinfo.calibre'

File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 153, in get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 135, in _update_driveinfo_file
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'I:\\driveinfo.calibre'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 475, in _get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1518, in get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 155, in get_device_information
OSError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'I:\\driveinfo.calibre'
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something is preventing calibre from writing to I:\driveinfo.calibre either the permissions are incorrect on that file or soething is blocking calibre, or there are too many files in the root of I:
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Thanks for your great kindness Kov!

I haven't changed anything except updated the Kobo to latest and make the irrelevant files hidden. I unhid the calibre file you refer to but same problem remains...

Screenshot attached.
Happy to provide anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre prob.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	189189  
Old 09-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

I deleted the wrongly-placed book above ("al, Creyke") and the error msg is now:

calibre, version 5.20.0

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'I:\\metadata.calibre'

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2032, in books
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 457, in sync_booklists
File "calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 454, in write_prefix
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'I:\\metadata.calibre'
Old 09-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Well well well! It looks like it doesn't like the files to be marked HIDDEN.
After unhiding all the calibre files, it now works without error msgs and showing in Calibre all the books that are 'On Device' !

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

While I have you, I was wondering if this is the only solution for books that display on the Kobo with a tiny cover...

EDIT THE BOOK and add the part in bold:

<image width="1027" height="1499" xlink:href="cover.jpeg" style="height:100%; text-align:center;"/>
Then save and close Edit Book. The new corrected book's cover will be seen in full size on your Kobo.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

One thing I just found out:
sometimes you may need to restart Kobo for a cover to appear.

Also, if the device is getting full, it wont show quite a few covers.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 09-10-2021 at 10:58 AM.