Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I have not found any evidence that this is Netronix hardware, by the way, and I should know.
To be honest, it was my second thought as well - the design just yells "Netronix" to me. Button placement and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Why don't I like it? The 4 buttons on the side are difficult to see, much less press.
Hm.
I didn't spend much thought on that yet.
I'm looking at it now, I see what you mean, but my device has labels above, so I can clearly see/feel where I have to press.

Quote:
The D-pad is too low on the device for me to have my thumb on it when holding the device with one hand.
You know, I kinda have to agree with that. I had to learn how to hold it and still can't hold it in one hand too long.
Though I don't see how that can be avoided, unless you make the non-screen area even larger?

Quote:
And besides, the Kobo e-reader is going to have the stock firmware.
OK, THIS is definitely a drawback, I certainly agree. I still wonder if the standard firmware actually was intended to be anything more than proof-of-concept.

Still, if it's the standard firmware it should be possible to get rid of it in favor of something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Is it the Netronix firmware? Looks like they've spiffed it up some:

http://www.koboereader.com/experience.html

Looks pretty slick, actually.
Hm.
I did a (very) quick try and couldn't reproduce that library view.
However, that doesn't mean it's not possible - the UI actually can be customized, even more so if it is a new release where no elements are hardcoded anymore.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Why don't I like it? The 4 buttons on the side are difficult to see, much less press. I have to turn the device sideways to see which one I'm touching. The d-pad is too low on the device for me to have my thumb on it when holding the device with one hand.
For me, using the Bookeen, I find the multi-way pad is in just the right place, so I guess it depends on the user.

The usability of the side-buttons probably depends on the firmware. They are tricky to use on the Bookeen, sure, but very rarely needed in my experience.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
With the Cybook, I memorized which button was for what, so I didn't really have to look at them after a bit. But now when I read on it (which isn't that often anymore--I just use the EZReader most of the time) I forget which is which and keep hitting the "delete" button, which now actually works!

I think this is a rebranded Netronix, myself, but it's very nicely done, with more of an eye to aesthetics than some of the smaller companies can afford, I think.

Since Kobo has its own apps and reading software, no doubt they were able to do the necessary programming to create their own firmware.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
looks quite good for the price
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
crossposted from The Digital Reader

At first I was really excited, but then I recognized the hardware design. The case is new, but inside the case is hardware that was designed by Netronix. we’re looking at a device based on a 4 years old design, one that wasn’t very good to start with. How disappointing.
Yes, it looks like Netronix:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=109
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/k...-we-thumb-thr/

Last edited by Nate the great; 03-24-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
Apparently Kobo will be bringing them to BNC Tech Forum tomorrow, so if I get to use one I'll report back. (And not like my TOC reporting back, sorry about that!)
I'll look for you in the Kobo session then.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Overall it does look pretty nice if the price is cheap. Except I can't take my eyes off the BRIGHT BLUE BUTTON(s).
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Except I can't take my eyes off the BRIGHT BLUE BUTTON(s).
Same here. The big blue button almost gives it a toy like quality. I wonder if many people will be put off by it.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Funny, I thought the blue button makes it look like some kind of medical device ...

And due to its size it is even closer to the rim than on the Cybook Gen3/PB 301 - which indeed would it make even harder to hold with a firm grasp. This is for people with an agile thumb.

And, uh, justified text ...?

Last edited by K-Thom; 03-24-2010 at 09:28 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #25
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

Why would this device be designed to not support .txt and .doc files, such as one gets from Gutenberg? Do they want us to waste time converting files just to get a cheap ebook reader? I don't get it.
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #26
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Wow, I'm glad they updated the fonts on the Kobo device, because the fonts on the Cybook/Bookeen look awful (at least in the linked shots above).

As for support for .txt and .doc, probably for simplicity. I mean, they are selling their eReader so that people will buy more books from Kobo. I mean, technically, even the Sony readers don't support .doc, they are converted to RTF via the Sony Reader desktop software.

I am glad they made mention of reading manga (though through PDF). It would have been nice if they supported manga/comic formats (cbz, cbr) like the iRiver Story. But again, this thing is only $150.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Things I noticed while adding this to the E-book Reader Matrix:
  • No audio
  • No folders
  • No dictionary
  • Only Epub and PDF
  • Sync to Kobo (via USB?) for reading on multiple devices
Some of these are implied by their absence from the description on the web (and so might be there after all). There is no uses listed for BlueTooth, so perhaps it can be used for syncing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #28
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

If you scroll down on this page:

http://www.koboereader.com/tech-specs.html

It looks like (with select smartphones) you can sync via bluetooth between your phone and the ebook reader.

So I guess it is possible to buy books on the go? Buy the book on your smart phone and then wirelessly sync to the Kobo reader?

That actually is pretty smart, use your expensive and already connected mobile phone and wirelessly sync it to a cheap, single use ebook reader.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogami View Post
That actually is pretty smart, use your expensive and already connected mobile phone and wirelessly sync it to a cheap, single use ebook reader.
BlueTooth hardware is very cheap, so this does make sense.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #30
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
interesting..
The newspapers in Australia have been saying that Borders here (with Kobo) will be setting up a ebook service for Australians. They also stated that they will sell ebook readers in all their stores, these ereaders will be about $200. Take into account the difference in the dollar and Taxes here in Australia .. I wonder if this is the ereader they plan to sell
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote