Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Replacement Battery - Needed?

I've now had my Cybook for over a year. Generally speaking I'm happy with it. I do have a bonus coming through, which is going to pay for a holiday and a few other things. However there would have been money left for an Opus, but I can't really think why I'd want it, other than it's a shiny new toy.

One thing I did think about though was the battery on the Cybook. If Bookeen all of a sudden withdraw the Cybook Gen 3 - perhaps the Opus has a higher margin, then I might be stuck with the battery I currently have. I've noticed no degradation at all on it. Probably because unlike a mobile phone which goes through a full cycle every few days, the Cybook stays charged for weeks.

Has anyone found that they needed to replace the battery? The other thing that's making me think against buying a new battery now is that if I don't use it for years, as I understand, they chemically deteriorate over time, so it may not be any better than what I currently have in it.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Probably because unlike a mobile phone which goes through a full cycle every few days, the Cybook stays charged for weeks.
Maybe someone using their CyBook much more frequently than me can proove me wrong, but I believe that´s exactly the point making the battery last much much longer than others.
In general, you hear that LiIon-batterys are free from degradation, in practical life they seem to die by times after all.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A battery is unlikely to "die", but it will slowly lose capacity as time passes. After 5 years, it might only have half its original capacity, for example.

You're right in saying that there's no point in buying a replacement battery and keeping it "on the shelf" for years; it too will deteriorate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, the losing capacity thing is what I was meaning. And the deterioration on the shelf is what I suspected.

That means the life of my Cybook is basically until the battery becomes to chemically decomposed to be useful.

Are the batteries standard components, or are they custom Bookeen jobs... if they're custom then I'm stuck with hoping Bookeen continue to sell the batteries for a long time (and that they don't keep them on a shelf for years).
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe it's a standard one.
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
You're right in saying that there's no point in buying a replacement battery and keeping it "on the shelf" for years; it too will deteriorate.
Yeap.

And The Opus batteries are the same. So bookeen will more likely keep on selling these for a while
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

And, of course, given that the Gen3 is Netronix EB600 hardware, it's pretty certain that all the other EB600 clones (eg the Cool-ER) use the same battery, too.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Halk
Fanatic

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Ironically the other morning I put the machine on to charge, while turned off, before I went to work. I came home and later unplugged it and finished off a book (2 or 3 hours), when I got up in the morning it hadn't turned off as it normally does after an hour, and the battery was flat.

Perhaps if it's left in the charger after it's fully charged it'll discharge... or my battery is dying because I asked about it on here :P
Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Ironically the other morning I put the machine on to charge, while turned off, before I went to work. I came home and later unplugged it and finished off a book (2 or 3 hours), when I got up in the morning it hadn't turned off as it normally does after an hour, and the battery was flat.

Perhaps if it's left in the charger after it's fully charged it'll discharge... or my battery is dying because I asked about it on here :P
What do you mean it is a standard battery ? Does anybody know about a possible replacement ?
I ask because I am seeing after only a year something like a deterioration, I charge it fully, read a book (about 500 booken pages) and after a few days it goes down fast also to 50%. Just for one book. It is true that there are a lot of turning on/off cycles, but I seem to remember that the battery lasted longer, at the beginning.
Any help / advice ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Halk
Fanatic

By standard battery I'm meaning if it's used in other devices. If it's a pretty standard thing then it'll be easy to get a replacement. If it's a custom battery unique to the hardware then it'll be more expensive and difficult to source.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
After the last winter both my Cybook Gen 3 and Sony Ericsson mobile phone battery have suffered very noticeably. I have not noticed any deterioration of my Sony MP3-player battery. I know they are not meant to be used in the cold, but I don't know how to protect all my electronics against winter weather. Purse with in-built heater???
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Is winter in Norway that cold ?
Electronic device usually supports cold better than heat.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Is winter in Norway that cold ?
Electronic device usually supports cold better than heat.
I thought the only problem is that the battery capacity is reduced a lot when it is cold but that is not a permanent effect.

I suppose Norway have similar temperature as Sweden and -20C or lower is not uncommon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
GreyCat
Enthusiast
GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.GreyCat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 & Opus, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
I won't claim to be an expert on batteries. It was a colleague of mine who said batteries don't really deal all that well with the cold. Since two of my batteries where seriously affected this winter I thought it sounded plausible. It can as Tompe says become colder than -20C.
GreyCat is offline   Reply With Quote