Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The New Zune HD with 3.3" OLED Screen

MS confirmed the upcoming Zune HD.

The OLED screen should be better than LCD for reading, and for battery life.

3.3" is too small for me, but it appears that some here don't mind.

It will run Windows CE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zune_HD_low_rez_610x406.jpg.jpeg
Views:	408
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	29833  

Last edited by Sonist; 05-27-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Looks neat. But what is this OLED technology? The page that the wiki links to, doesn't really help me... How is it better for reading?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
The OLED screen should be better than LCD for reading, and for battery life.
I've just bought a digital radio with an OLED screen, and I don't like it at all (the screen, that is - it's a great radio). The contrast seems to be a lot poorer than LCD, and the viewing angle very restricted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Looks neat. But what is this OLED technology? The page that the wiki links to, doesn't really help me... How is it better for reading?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED_display
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just bought a digital radio with an OLED screen, and I don't like it at all (the screen, that is - it's a great radio). The contrast seems to be a lot poorer than LCD, and the viewing angle very restricted.
It depends on what they've put in there. I am not saying yours is one, but there are some cheap players around, which use primitive OLEDs (often monochrome) for no other reason, but to cash in on the OLED aura.

I wouldn't judge OLED by those, and I am assuming the Zune HD would be considerably better.
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I like the looks of it (people seem quite divided on that issue). What I'm looking for is a simple but self-contained player--one that can rate or delete a track and do playlists without plugging into a PC, and at a reasonable cost-to-storage ratio.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist

This Zune HD would be a player, if the upcoming iPhone v.3 doesn't have OLED screen.

But if the iPhone does (and with both Zune HD and the new Walkman sporting OLED, I'd say Apple needs to,) then IMO the Zune will be next to irrelevant.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Zune's claim to fame so far has been the business model:
$15/mo for unlimited downloads + 10 songs you download and keep (if your subscription expires, all the downloaded music except your 10 per month expire and are not useable).

Compare Apple to Zune:
Apple: Spend $15 dollars and own 11-12 songs
Zune: Spend $15 dollars and own 10 songs and rent any song you want for the month, as many songs as you can download onto your Zune

Nobody shoot the messenger here, I have one child who loves her iPod and another that loves his Zune. Of course I get to love providing them money to fill them with music.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Zune's claim to fame so far has been the business model:
$15/mo for unlimited downloads + 10 songs you download and keep (if your subscription expires, all the downloaded music except your 10 per month expire and are not useable)....
Well, it just goes to show that total user experience counts for a lot, too. And, that a subscription model may work for Netflix, but it may not work as well for music.

My wife has an iPhone, while I have been using a heavily hacked WM 6.1 (I hate the UI of WM 6.5). But I think, next month I am jumping on the iPhone v.3. The UI is just so much better, and now that it has turn-by-turn (and cut&paste :-), I think I am ready. I'd never use such small screen for long-term reading, so OLED or not, I am there. But OLED would certainly be welcome.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Looks like a step forward for the Zune, but I'm not sure why the design is so angular. It already looks dated, and it hasn't been released yet!

I wonder how the pricing will be? To steal ipod touch market share they'd probably need to be 35%+ cheaper, because the ipod still has the cool factor and the app store. They need to target those too broke to get an ipod.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I bought the Zune 8GB for my gf for Christmas. Maybe my timing was just bad (although I don't imagine I'd be able to afford the new version, when it comes out). I do have to wonder, though, what the benefit of OLED would be in this situation, besides an increase in battery life. I doubt OLEDs will make better reading devices than LCD devices. The OLED displays emit light the same way LCDs do. The only difference is that there's no backlighting. OLEDs are similar to e-ink in that they don't use light to produce black, but an OLED uses light to produce everything but black. In fact, because OLEDs are brighter, such a display might cause more eye strain for reading than your typical LCD screen.

On the other hand, the fact that OLEDs can be printed on flexible surfaces means that they might come in handy for foldable e-books. I suppose that's a good thing.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Looks like a step forward for the Zune, but I'm not sure why the design is so angular. It already looks dated, and it hasn't been released yet!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I rather like the looks of it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
It seems that they might have already a built-in consumer from XBOX owners! Here's a bit of the article below; you can read the rest at http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...une-hd/1317951

Confirming weeks of speculation, Microsoft has officially announced the Zune HD. The specs -- a 3.3 inch OLED touchscreen, the ability to output in HD, an HD Radio receiver, a full-screen web browser and built-in Wi-Fi -- are pretty impressive, but perhaps the most exciting tidbit is that the Zune marketplace will be fully integrated into Xbox and Xbox Live as a replacement for the current Live video service.
Zune

That's a huge step for Microsoft, who until now have oddly kept the Zune and Xbox brands on opposite side of the room. With one move, they'll be exposing the Zune to about 17 million customers who are already using a piece of Microsoft hardware. Moreover, those 17 million are also gamers, and the Zune HD's combination of touchscreen capability, Wi-Fi access and robust marketplace seems the perfect recipe for a move into the handheld gaming space.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have been waiting eagerly for this, ever since details first leaked.
Now MS have confirmed the specs, I must say that I am rather disappointed - the screen resolution is much lower than I expected.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
It depends on what they've put in there. I am not saying yours is one, but there are some cheap players around, which use primitive OLEDs (often monochrome) for no other reason, but to cash in on the OLED aura.

I wouldn't judge OLED by those, and I am assuming the Zune HD would be considerably better.
It is indeed a mono screen, but it's a very "reputable" brand of radio (Pure), so I'm surprised they'd use such a poor quality screen in it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote