Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
James Lee Burke - a master.

I'd like to recommend the bppks of James Lee Burke - I've been a fervent reader of his work for some 20 years now, and each new one still comes fresh as a daisy. and I find myself working through the complete works every 2-3 years.
Wonderful writing, and if anyone's read a better indictment of appalling local and national government neglect and incompetence than "Tin Roof Blowdown" I'd love the title please.
He writes in the "crime/detective" genre, but the books are so much more than that. His insights into the politics and environment of the Texas / Louisiana Gulf coast and areas are incisive, and his descriptive powers never flag.
On top of all that, the characters and plotlines are all you'd ask for, and the action's pretty ace too ! deserved.

He has written, I believe, 47 works in total, with his main man, Detective Dave Robicheaux, the most consistent character, but there are short stories and courtroom procedurals for variety.
He hasw been named among the greatest living American writers, and if you want good, intelligent writing with a kick, he's your man - in my opinion.

Here's a list of the Dave Robicheaux novels so far - they are best read in order, I feel, but "Two for Texas" , a book of short stories, are a good intro to Burke's writing :
1. The Neon Rain (1987)
2. Heaven's Prisoners (1988)
3. Black Cherry Blues (1989)
4. A Morning for Flamingos (1990)
5. A Stained White Radiance (1992)
6. In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead (1993)
7. Dixie City Jam (1994)
8. Burning Angel (1995)
9. Cadillac Jukebox (1995)
10. Sunset Limited (1998)
11. Purple Cane Road (2000)
12. Jolie Blon's Bounce (2002)
13. Last Car to Elysian Fields (2003)
14. Crusader's Cross (2005)
15. Pegasus Descending (2006)
16. Tin Roof Blowdown.
17. Swan Peak.
18. Glass Rainbow.
Hope he wins some new readers....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Couldn't agree more. Have liked every one of his novels.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been meaning to read something by him since I read a good interview with him. Then I came across several Youtube interviews with him where he was very intelligent and articulate. He was talking about a Louisiana or Texas outlaw ancestor, if I remember right...his outlook when he was talking seemed very far-ranging too, an appreciation of the spiritual side of things.
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
His interview, broadcast on BBC Radio, concerning his "Tin Roof Blowdown", and the disaster that happened to New Orleans, was one of the most intelligent and thoughtfull I've heard in a long time, certainly.
He has always struck me as a very "complete person", as it were, which I think comes across in his writing.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote