Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
If you haven't, read the original MASH by Richard Hooker

I found it is in the Kindle store just now. I read this when it was new then several times over the years. It is one of the funniest books I've ever read. it's silly, sarcastically and irreverent which are all qualities that endear a book to me.

The story is not exactly the same in content as the original movie but is the same in tone and just different enough to be fun even having watched the movie, something the TV series only had the first few seasons.

It is just really fun escapist reading. I actually think that the first sequel, MASH Goes to Maine, is a better novel. It's based on the post war life of the characters along with some hilarious new characters as well as bringing in some that were mentioned in the original. It centers around Hawkeye and his roots in Maine but pretty every one of the characters from the first story are there in some way.

Don't know why I feel like recommending it but I just do. I think it might be the Slaughterhouse 5 thread bring back memories of my younger days.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Great book, and great post. Thank you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Collin Moshman
Collin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Great show, I didn't even know it was originally a book. Thanks for the recommendation.
Collin Moshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
hey "guys" thanks & glad you like it.

beppe: you bettcha...came across the Kindle version of the first MASH totally by accident. I've already clicked the "Would like to read this on the Kindle" link for the other titles in the series. Who knows, if enough folks do that we might have access to them as well.

Collin: Yeah, the books are a ton of fun. If you enjoy the humor in MASH then MASH Goes to Maine is a riot. In fact having watched the movie & series before I rad either book helped add faces I knew and already enjoyed to the characters in the books. Hope you have fun with 'em.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
It's not in the UK Kindle store
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Why should I?
I don't find *anything* funny about war. In fact, I find it sick that people actually want to make money in trying to make war "funny".
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Why should I?
I don't find *anything* funny about war. In fact, I find it sick that people actually want to make money in trying to make war "funny".
Why? Because there *is* humor during wars. Because MASH is pretty darn anti-war. Because you need to lighten up.

(10 years in the military. Vietnam Vet. Seen and participated in my share of horror *and* humor).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Collin Moshman
Collin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheeseCollin Moshman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Thanks Joenunya, I just started it today and it's very entertaining to see how these characters were initially created, and also the differences between the book and the show -- such as Hawkeye being married with kids. Great book so far!
Collin Moshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Quite right ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Why should I?
I 'spect they said the same thing about Shakespeare..................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Why? Because there *is* humor during wars. Because MASH is pretty darn anti-war. Because you need to lighten up.

(10 years in the military. Vietnam Vet. Seen and participated in my share of horror *and* humor).
I have to agree with you. People should never assume a books story line by it's title. And sometimes humor is the only thing that will keep you sane in horrific situations.

I just read it again last month. There is a sequel "Mash Goes to Maine" also written by Hooker. The other so called sequels were ghost written by WEB Griffin writing under his own name, William E Butterworth and they are not the same. Do not ask me how I know this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Are they Mobi? And well proofed?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, korean war, mash, richard hooker, war