Device: PRS-505
Heh. The funny thing is I had just read this post:

http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/...calls-for.html

before jumping over to mobileread.
CW001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Actually Tray Parker and Matt Stone are both native US citizens.
Ouch! They are? Then I am remembering my Canadians wrong. I wonder who I was thinking of?
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW001 View Post
Heh. The funny thing is I had just read this post:

http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/...calls-for.html

before jumping over to mobileread.
lol, yes, the Ars article mentions that they want Canada to keep all the parts of their laws that are harsher than US law, and tighten the screws on the "weak" parts.

In all seriousness, the efforts to homogenize legal systems for the benefit of corporate IP are getting pervasive enough that it is frightening as well as obnoxious.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This is an example of how things are done throughout this site.
Quote:
This is a quotation mark
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
This is great! The IIPA (the umbrella group for the RIAA et al) has released a report that says, among other things, that "no other country is farther behind the curve in combating copyright infringement in cyberspace."

They suggest that Canada be included with Russia and China, be on the "priority watch list", even above the regular "watch list", which includes places like Uzbekistan.

Honestly, knowing that this server is in the Great White North, just posting here makes me feel dirty...

The report suggests that the US government put the screws to you Canadians, pressuring for changes in Canadian law like removing caps on damages and outlawing circumvention of DRM for legal uses.

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like they either took the document down, or screwed up the link. The download page is here. More information from Ars Technica.

EDIT2: To avoid any confusion, the title of this thread makes reference to the "Blame Canada!" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UKllR0Edo - a cartoon <EDIT>not</EDIT> done by Canadians, BTW), and is intended as a joke, to point out the absurdity of singling out Canada, with its perfectly reasonable laws, as some sort of failed, pirate state. As in "Things aren't going the way you want? Hmm, I know, BLAME CANADA!" Apparently this was somewhat unclear to some posters.
I always knew there was something wrong with them sneaky, dirty, frozen Canucks! (Seriously, how can *anyone* hate a country that has a maple leaf on their flag! )

So all we have to do is carpet-nuke Canada and the 'e-book piracy' problem disappears? You mean all those underhanded Eastern European e-book piracy sites will fold if Canada ceases to exist? Have at it!

Yeah. Right.

Not!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I always knew there was something wrong with them sneaky, dirty, frozen Canucks! (Seriously, how can *anyone* hate a country that has a maple leaf on their flag! )

So all we have to do is carpet-nuke Canada and the 'e-book piracy' problem disappears? You mean all those underhanded Eastern European e-book piracy sites will fold if Canada ceases to exist? Have at it!

Yeah. Right.

Not!

Derek
Heh!
You'd be shooting yourselves in the foot. MR's main servers are in Troglodyte Canada!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Hmmm, looks like we need to go down to R&D. We are going to need more firepower than a CLUEx4 can muster to deal with these companies.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
This is great! The IIPA (the umbrella group for the RIAA et al) has released a report that says, among other things, that "no other country is farther behind the curve in combating copyright infringement in cyberspace."

They suggest that Canada be included with Russia and China, be on the "priority watch list", even above the regular "watch list", which includes places like Uzbekistan.

Honestly, knowing that this server is in the Great White North, just posting here makes me feel dirty...

The report suggests that the US government put the screws to you Canadians, pressuring for changes in Canadian law like removing caps on damages and outlawing circumvention of DRM for legal uses.

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like they either took the document down, or screwed up the link. The download page is here. More information from Ars Technica.

EDIT2: To avoid any confusion, the title of this thread makes reference to the "Blame Canada!" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UKllR0Edo - a cartoon <EDIT>not</EDIT> done by Canadians, BTW), and is intended as a joke, to point out the absurdity of singling out Canada, with its perfectly reasonable laws, as some sort of failed, pirate state. As in "Things aren't going the way you want? Hmm, I know, BLAME CANADA!" Apparently this was somewhat unclear to some posters.
Well, of course...it is ALWAYS the fault of those wacky Canookians!! I mean even John Candy declared war on them... BTW, I did get your reference just from the title...and the irony/sarcasm (I always get those two bass ackwards... )

BTW, anyone who has ever shipped merchandise to Canada knows it's a Canadian national sport to try and frustrate Canada Post so extending that to copyright stuff is not a huge stretch of the "imagination"... Soooo, suuurrrre, let's just always BLAME CANADA....

Anyone who doubts this needs to google:

Canada aircraft history AVRO arrow

You can toss in Aykroyd as well to get the movie, which was really fun btw...

Then watch the movie The Arrow (or there has to be a book as well)...so, yup gotta blame them there Canookians...and Red Green of course.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If you want to separate what you say from what others say put quotation marks...
I just noticed your avatar has a major error to it... MobileRead is a forum, not a blog.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Anyone else wanna kick me in the troglodytes?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #26
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
it's a Canadian national sport to try and frustrate Canada Post
There's an old joke about the Canadian post: 5c for postage, 20c for storage.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #27
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Anyone else wanna kick me in the troglodytes?
Just joining the queue now
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Heh!
You'd be shooting yourselves in the foot. MR's main servers are in Troglodyte Canada!
Yet Another Reason To Suspect Canookistani Fowl Play!

Derek (First Speaker for the Association to Prevent Fowl Play)
Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #29
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Lucky fer me I live in the country of Quebec!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Lucky fer me I live in the country of Quebec!
Ah yes. Our (People's Republic of Kalifourkneeyah) northern cousin, the FPRQ (Francophonic People's Republic of Quebec). Never been there but friends who've visited say that I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from home - well, except for the cold.

Derek

Tags
canada, copyright, fair use, iipa, riaa