Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
New update From Liz Castro

It's a shame what features can now be done now via iBooks is only limited to iBooks and not other eReaders

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...51052178615606
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Adjust, I picked up the layout and mini-guide from Liz Castro an hour ago. The example book shows three page layouts. The following is a quote from her latest update.

Quote:
In late December, 2010, Apple released iBooks 1.2 and announced the publication of fixed layout books, perfect for cookbooks, travel books, photography books, and particularly childrens’ books. The fixed layout format is peculiar to Apple’s iOS 4, that is iPad, iPhone, and iTouch, but doesn’t work properly in other EPUB compatible ereaders.
A fixed layout book, sometimes called an “illustrated book”, has a pixel specific page size that you can use to precisely control the layout of the objects on the pages. You can embed fonts, choose particular text sizes, and precisely position images. You can even create a two-page spread in which a single image spans both pages.
The downside—alas, there is always a downside—is that text cannot be resized nor can its font be changed by the user. The books work much like PDFs, in that readers can zoom an entire page, but text does not reflow, making text sections harder to read and maneuver.
This will allow you to do stuff that I thought only possible in an app and they are device specific anyway. There doesn't seem to be a mention of video but I assume it would be possible to add as well.
I wonder though, apple iPad/phone users browse iTunes but I don't browse the iBookstore. So creating a "coffee table e-book" would mean some pretty good marketing to get people to notice.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Adjust, I picked up the layout and mini-guide from Liz Castro an hour ago. The example book shows three page layouts. The following is a quote from her latest update.
This will allow you to do stuff that I thought only possible in an app and they are device specific anyway. There doesn't seem to be a mention of video but I assume it would be possible to add as well.
I wonder though, apple iPad/phone users browse iTunes but I don't browse the iBookstore. So creating a "coffee table e-book" would mean some pretty good marketing to get people to notice.
Yeah I saw that as well...I guess that's a biggest problems people will have with "coffee table ebooks" and "childrens books"

Will give your child your iPad to read kids books on? hummm

Or, Hey I just got this great coffe table book about coffee tables...just let me go get my iPad which is busy charging up....

I don't think eBooks really work with anything other then novals, etc...

If you know what I mean
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
yuxi_kelly
Enthusiast
yuxi_kelly began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
hi, where can I download such a kind EPUB, free of charge of course, can any one send me a website?
yuxi_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuxi_kelly View Post
hi, where can I download such a kind EPUB, free of charge of course, can any one send me a website?
Have to tried Google?

I Don't think you'd find one for free though... See linky at top of thread
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
pvs
pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mini
I like the idea of having one image spanning two pages, more like what you get in some hardcover books. But I've read it doesn't allow for reflowable text chapters between two panel images.

Last edited by pvs; 02-10-2011 at 12:44 PM.
pvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuxi_kelly View Post
The miniguide is only $4
http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store....ayoutMiniguide
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Yeah I saw that as well...I guess that's a biggest problems people will have with "coffee table ebooks" and "childrens books"

Will give your child your iPad to read kids books on? hummm

Or, Hey I just got this great coffe table book about coffee tables...just let me go get my iPad which is busy charging up....

I don't think eBooks really work with anything other then novals, etc...

If you know what I mean
Did you see the thread asking if you use your e-reader in the kitchen for recipes? A lot said no. I would. A bit of flour wouldn't hurt the touch screen and it's got a cover. That fixed format would be good for cookbooks and things like gardening magazines or any kind of magazine I suppose.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Did you see the thread asking if you use your e-reader in the kitchen for recipes? A lot said no. I would. A bit of flour wouldn't hurt the touch screen and it's got a cover. That fixed format would be good for cookbooks and things like gardening magazines or any kind of magazine I suppose.
I guess...although have tried operating a touch pad with you fingers covered in flour? LOL
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
It's a shame what features can now be done now via iBooks is only limited to iBooks and not other eReaders

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...51052178615606
Ahh, I see that young Jedi Steve has learned well the "embrace and extend" technique from his master, Darth William.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yeah, great! Let's create our own standards based on ePub and lets call it ePub to make it clear!

I really dislike the arrogance of Apple. I am fine with the changes they want to make, but do not call it ePub anymore. It does not comply to the standards and neither does their reader follow them. If they make a new version of their iBooks, why not make it compliant?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I really dislike the arrogance of Apple. I am fine with the changes they want to make, but do not call it ePub anymore.
They should have called it iPub.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
as I said https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=22
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yeah, great! Let's create our own standards based on ePub and lets call it ePub to make it clear!

I really dislike the arrogance of Apple. I am fine with the changes they want to make, but do not call it ePub anymore. It does not comply to the standards and neither does their reader follow them. If they make a new version of their iBooks, why not make it compliant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
They should have called it iPub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
My answer in a new thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121632