Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
is not file size. it's the stuff in my previous post #13
What exactly?
I solved the "unsafe" characters, and still did not work.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
how did u solve, exactly. did you find and fix all 154 warnings ?
& did you do a calibre epub to epub conversion like I recommended ?
once I did that, it no longer crashed in ADE 2. I don't have a sony to test with, sorry ,but I used to have one, and usually, stuff that worked OK in ADE would then work ok in the sony
I am not going to install ADE 4.

someone else suggested convert epub to mobi then back again - that's a more powerful cleanup method, maybe
try that also
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using the ePub in the first link in the first post gives 72 errors/warnings with the Calibre editor checker. Removing all excess CSS gets that number down to 48 and automatically fixing errors from there gets the number down to 1. So fix that and then try again. The things mentioned in post 13 seem to get fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had another look at the code, in sigil, but the only strange thing we're the very long file and image names, with lots of @ characters. Maybe all PG books are like that ?
Surprising that JSW got 72 warnings, I got 154 with what I think is same file, and that was After a forced conversion.

A forced auto fix is best way to go. In sigil I see a horrible mess of red underlines because it's in German and my spell check now for English, so eyeballing the code is unpleasant.
One other thing that , from memory, upsets a Sony is anything amis with the jpg image files.i.e. if they are not standardly compressed.
So, removing all the images then trying on device is another possible test
Old 03-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had another look at the code, in sigil, but the only strange thing we're the very long file and image names, with lots of @ characters. Maybe all PG books are like that ?
Surprising that JSW got 72 warnings, I got 154 with what I think is same file, and that was After a forced conversion.

A forced auto fix is best way to go. In sigil I see a horrible mess of red underlines because it's in German and my spell check now for English, so eyeballing the code is unpleasant.
One other thing that , from memory, upsets a Sony is anything amis with the jpg image files.i.e. if they are not standardly compressed.
So, removing all the images then trying on device is another possible test
I didn't convert. I used the ePub as it downloaded. So try what I did that and you'll get it down to one error or warning very easily.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-25-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Advert
Old 03-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard

I probably wasted too much time on this already but curious to know- what's that one remaining error and is that the one that causes the crashes?

Did you put your fixed version into are, as a test or even onto a Sony?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I probably wasted too much time on this already but curious to know- what's that one remaining error and is that the one that causes the crashes?

Did you put your fixed version into are, as a test or even onto a Sony?
What I got was a warning about and empty CSS class. I deleted it, cleaned the CSS and 135 classes were deleted from the HTML.

I found what is causing the crashes and it's something stupid. From 1.css delete what's in the code box. It's at the bottom of the CSS file.

Code:
@media all {
  /* was @media handheld */
}
/* CSS rules copied from @style attributes in TEI file */
/**/
Old 03-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
stumped
Wizard

Interesting thanks.
most of that chunk is comments?
If /* Begins a comment , and */ ends one
Then all that is left is
@media all {
}
Not an expression I have ever met before
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
jaapd
jaapd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I got was a warning about and empty CSS class. I deleted it, cleaned the CSS and 135 classes were deleted from the HTML.

I found what is causing the crashes and it's something stupid. From 1.css delete what's in the code box. It's at the bottom of the CSS file.

Code:
@media all {
  /* was @media handheld */
}
/* CSS rules copied from @style attributes in TEI file */
/**/
Great! I removed it on the Emile Zola book and it worked!

I'll try the other book too. That one I converted to HTMLZ and back to EPUB and the book looked OK.
jaapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #25
jaapd
jaapd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
The next book, Chr van Abkoude the same, I can read it now.
I'll inform the Gutenberg guys.
jaapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wasn't there some limit on individual file sizes inside the ePub on the Sony readers?
Yes! 260K, (the Calibre default).

I AVOID conversion when possible. It adds, deletes or changes things. (delete happens when the format does not support. eg fonts)
Instead, use the Calibre Editor: Debug (the Ladybug Icon).
When the error results show, you can try the Try to Fix All item at the bottom of the error description. That may do it. At least enough to get it to work

BTW The Debug reports WARNS if it finds a too large file

If it crashes the device before the cover displays, The cover has too high a resolution for old devices.
Resize the cover (resize cover PI) in Calibre then embed

Or run the Welcome Wizard and select the correct model. Then Send To Device will set a smaller cover (if needed)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs t2