Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #76
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Another question: is the USB-C port good for anything other than charging and USB file transfer? Can you plugin in a hub, Keyboard/mouse, storage, Ethernet etc.?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #77
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
I am tired o the same look year after year. it is in a serious need of an upgrade
HLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #78
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have last year's Fire 8. It's not a bad device and it's cheap but my Samsung Galaxy 8 is much better for only a few dollars more. It has a standard Android interface. It has a better screen and much better speakers. I use both of them mostly for watching videos and the screen on the Fire is okay. It's very good for videos. The speaker isn't. It's pretty useless without a bluetooth speaker. I understand the new one has a similar speaker with similarly poor volume.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Wonder if older Fire tablets will get Fire OS 7 (My 2018 Fire is still on Fire OS 5.x - Android 5.1.1). Was there a Fire OS 6?

That said, I’m not sure it would make any difference - except maybe in terms of the apps available to run on it from Amazon AppStore.
There is a FireOS 6 (7.x Nougat) and your 2018 8th Gen Fire HD 8 should be running FireOS 6.3.1.5

I have my doubts about Amazon upgrading it. So far, the only Fires getting FireOS 7 (9.x Pie) are the new HD 8's and last year's HD 10. The Fire 7 from last year is still running FireOS 6.

Try updating your Fire: Settings --> Device Options --> System Updates
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:08 AM   #80
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There is a FireOS 6 (7.x Nougat) and your 2018 8th Gen Fire HD 8 should be running FireOS 6.3.1.5

I have my doubts about Amazon upgrading it. So far, the only Fires getting FireOS 7 (9.x Pie) are the new HD 8's and last year's HD 10. The Fire 7 from last year is still running FireOS 6.

Try updating your Fire: Settings --> Device Options --> System Updates
Hah, it is older than I thought. It is 7th generation Fire HD8. 2017, then. It’s still getting updates, but it is 5.6.6.0 (25May2020).
Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 AM   #81
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Voyage, PW4
Google Play store and a few apps successfully installed on the new Fire HD 8.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #82
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle DXG
Is there a significant difference between the new HD 8 and the last year one? Would it warrant a purchase of the new one?

I know everyone's standards are different but I'm wondering if there's any big differences. I mainly use mine for comics or reading.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
Is there a significant difference between the new HD 8 and the last year one? Would it warrant a purchase of the new one?

I know everyone's standards are different but I'm wondering if there's any big differences. I mainly use mine for comics or reading.
I’d say there isn’t a significant difference, certainly not if you’re satisfied with your current version.

In any case, wait! I’ve got the 2018 HD8 myself and it’s good enough for my purposes, although it’s pretty pokey. A little more speed would be nice. My point is, that I got it for Black Friday in 2018, by trading in the version before. At Black Friday sale price + trade-in credit + discount because of trade-in, I spent a total of $27.50 to upgrade, and that was well worth it. I’m hoping there will be a nearly as good a deal this fall. In any case, if your current device is good enough, there’s no reason not to wait and see.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #84
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I agree. Wait for a sale. IMHO, the type of person who is satisfied with a Fire's performance is not the type of person to jump on the newest version all that quickly. I include myself in this group. Face it, a Fire tablet is quite underpowered as tablets go. So even if they advertise "150% of the previous tablets performance!", that's still a very slow tablet.

The Fire tablet meets my needs. So much so, that I bought a second one recently for my mom. It meets her needs. Note that we are not trying to transcode video on the things. We use them modestly, being the perfect target audience for a $49 device (on sale).

A Fire tablet offers a ton of "bang for the buck", but if you leave off the "for the buck" caveat, then it doesn't offer much "bang" at all.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #85
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also usually get a Fire tablet on Black Friday. If they have a sale I'll probably get one again on Black friday.

I don't use them much. I have other, better tablets. But I'll keep it plugged in and charged and ready to go so if I want a tablet really quick it's always there. That's hard on the battery but since I'm replacing it every year I don't care. I usually give my old one to some neighbor in my retirement home.

The new one is a bit faster, at least it's supposed to be. And it charges faster but if you leave it plugged in all the time like I do that means it'll ruin the battery faster so that's a drawback for me, although a pretty minor one.

I may decide to get the Plus model next Black Friday to get the wireless charging, but I might not. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $20 to me, the way I use it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #86
tomsem
Wizard

I have a couple of Fires I’m prepared to trade in towards a new one, but it has to be a better deal than the current deal ($30 credit for the 2018 HD8 with no discount towards a new one). Probably $5 for the older HD7.

I pulled out my HD6 (it has been sitting on shelf for maybe a year). The battery was still at 100%!