Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
Book Hunter
Book Hunter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ToC Twisty Icons in Kindle

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Calibre or Kindle - but I'll post it here.

I can edit the ToC using Calibre and see 'twisty icons' used for Heading 1. Twisty icons being the little triangle which, when clicked, will expand or compress the Heading 2 and other lower level entries. These are brilliant for things like making a compilation of short stories or even novels.

But when I convert from epub to mobi using Calibre, to view on my Kindle - the twisty icons are no longer visible and all of the ToC entries are displayed (expanded). I know Kindle books support this feature, because I see it in books I've bought directly from Amazon.

I've only ever read ebooks on a Kindle, so I'm not sure if the epub edited with Calibre, will show the twisty icons on a supported device, such as Kobo (Kindle supports mobi format - not epub). Also, the mobi format is uneditable in Calibre (and perhaps in other similar PC applications as well).

Is there a way of ensuring these ToC twisty icons can be exported to Kindle, after the epub is converted to mobi? Is there a feature in Calibre for this? Or maybe I need to use another application to convert to mobi and export to Kindle?
Book Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Twisty? ~~~~
Why Mobi (it is based upon a really old HTML) ?
Do you have a K3 or older(Hint model-Version# in profile)? Are you emailing to your Kindle?

What happens if you use AZW3 instead (via USB cord)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
Book Hunter
Book Hunter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks Ducks - the AZW3 format converted the ToC on Kindle as desired.

I'm using Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation.

Why mobi format? I don't know, I just got used to converting from epub to mobi for transfer to Kindle, using Calibre, via USB.
Book Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Hunter View Post
Thanks Ducks - the AZW3 format converted the ToC on Kindle as desired.

I'm using Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation.

Why mobi format? I don't know, I just got used to converting from epub to mobi for transfer to Kindle, using Calibre, via USB.
Ah! The old way, which was a must for Gen3 and (some) before.
So many 'Kindle Tips', still say Mobi is needed

AZW3 is mostly EPUB2 inside (you probably notices how fast it converted. It was mostly just package it ). A lot more features and less tricks needed.

like 42 blockquotes or divs to center a word
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote