Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #151
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Some have mentioned the option of deleting files on the Reader as a feature that they would like to have. I see no reason for implementing this useless feature.

The only purpose of deleting files is to gain additional space in the storage area of the Reader. While this is well and good, the space cannot be reused until the Reader is connected to a computer to place more files on it.

The only reason to delete files on the Reader without the Reader connected to a computer is to hide that the Reader even contained the files in the first place. While this may be good for crib notes in an exam, it serves no purpose in the real world.
Not all of us have something to hide, RWood.

I'm with Bob on this-- I like to delete books when I'm done with them. Since I tend to load a bunch of books on the reader and not connect it to my computer for weeks at a time I don't think it is unreasonable to be able to delete documents at will.

I also have a lot of pdf documents I transfered to my reader to use as reference material. I can read them fine in the computer software, but when I look at them on the reader the font is too small to be useful. Since I can't access the reader when it is plugged in to the computer, I have to do the following:

1. Open the document on the reader-- see that the document is unreadable.
2. Write down the name of the document-- remember that you cannot access the reader once it is connected to the computer.
3. Connect the reader to the computer.
4. Run Connect Reader software.
5. After several minutes, do a force-quit from the program manager because the Connect Reader program has locked up.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as needed.
7. Find the file I want to delete and remove it from the reader.
8. Disconnect the reader, turn it on, and check if I have deleted the correct file.

Exactly what is wrong with keeping things simple?
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #152
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Deleting files from the Reader on the Reader is a simple thing, and I suppose it's a good point that the actual utility might not be all that great, but I too am in the "I want it gone when I want it gone" camp.

I'll even spot you that it's based mostly on a non-logical desire, but here's the question I see: if it's a simple thing, and it makes folks happy (however irrationally), then why not do it?

As for the Book Menu thing, I think they wanted to be sure to offer the other functions in that menu, and perhaps didn't apply enough imagination to find a way to do so other than forcing us to go through the menu. Easy for me to say because it doesn't really bother me: I just go through the All Bookmarks menu to get back to where I was (when I didn't just leave things there to begin with). I can access that menu from anywhere by holding down the Mark button.

Of course, that means I'll probably wear that button out shortly after the Next button on the left edge.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #153
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'll even spot you that it's based mostly on a non-logical desire, but here's the question I see: if it's a simple thing, and it makes folks happy (however irrationally), then why not do it?
This boils down to the old adage: "The customer is always right." As long as it's not harmful, why not? If a majority of the potential customers surveyed want feature X, then you should add that feature, or provide a reasonable explanation for why you aren't adding it.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #154
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood

The only reason to delete files on the Reader without the Reader connected to a computer is to hide that the Reader even contained the files in the first place. While this may be good for crib notes in an exam, it serves no purpose in the real world.
I beg to differ Sir.

In addition to books, I download articles from various periodicals like the Economist, WSJ, FT, etc. Do to the lack of hierarchy, and the number of files on the device, management of "old files" demands time when the Reader is connected to the computer, that is a complete waste, if the article or book could be deleted at the time I was finished with it. Lack of the feature in effect makes me "carry home" all the old newspapers, and magazines, that I would have discarded along the way, but for the lack of this simple feature.

Everyone uses the Reader differently, but you may have noted on a different thread that one of the suggested expansions of the Sonny Connect business model would be to provide "subscriptions" through their website (for a fee??) formatted for the Reader. If they do provide this service in the future, it will exacerbate the issue further.

JMHO
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #155
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
...one of the suggested expansions of the Sonny Connect business model would be to provide "subscriptions" through their website (for a fee??) formatted for the Reader. If they do provide this service in the future, it will exacerbate the issue further.
Excellent point, SoCal Bob, I hadn't even thought of the implications of subscriptions with no delete. Not a pretty thought, that is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #156
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unless they did it the way that iPod "Podcasts" work. With that, you can specify "keep the most recent x downloads" of a Podcast, with older ones automatically deleted. That's useful with time-critical downloads, like news reports. Last weeks news is of little interest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #157
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Interestingly, you can not delete podcasts from the iPod itself. I don't listen to music, only podcasts, so I'd like to be able to delete them from the iPod itself, but I can't. Waah.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #158
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't delete any audio content from the iPod itself. Real nuisance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #159
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I'd like the inclusion of proper italic, bold and bold italic typefaces in the firmware not just the roman (tt0003m_.ttf, tt0011m_.ttf, tt0419m_.ttf) font files.
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #160
vitualis
vitualis began at the beginning.

Device: ETEN M600, HP rx3715, Sony Reader
Sony needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and partner up with some other providers for their RSS/News/Periodical content - e.g., AvantGo. If Sony could get AvantGo on the Sony Reader (and have it automagically sync everytime it is connected by USB), it would be revolutionary.
vitualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #161
simmepimme
simmepimme is on a distinguished road

1. Add possibility to *not* generate icons from picture files. If I put appr. 2000 manga jpgs on a memory card and inserts it, not using the Connect Software (I'm not running Windows), it takes literally a couple of hours for the reader to index the card.
2. Stop inserting borders around pdfs, i e let pdfs use the whole image area. This is easy to see by saving a single picture as a pdf without borders, preferably a picture with dark edges. Look at such a pdf on the reader and you will see the white border added around the picture.
simmepimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #162
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmepimme
2. Stop inserting borders around pdfs, i e let pdfs use the whole image area. This is easy to see by saving a single picture as a pdf without borders, preferably a picture with dark edges. Look at such a pdf on the reader and you will see the white border added around the picture.

I agree completely. I think they created their formatting standards while working with an unfinished or software version of the device. I don't see how someone actually using it would think, "This text really needs a nice one inch border in addition to the device casing."
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #163
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Tetris or Klondike or some kind of solitaire card game or maybe even Ridge Racer PRS edition (1 frame per 2 seconds).

So who out there is working on the MAME and other emulators?
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #164
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Ok got the reader had it for a few days now. So far VERY impressed with the hardware its WONDERFUL and BEAUTIFUL (always a good combination)

Well as usually Great Hardware always seems to come with crappy software :-( why oh why can't they make good software. My Zen Vision VGA is the pinnacle of gorgeous media player hardware and its got software so sucky that parts of it are a PITA to even use (IN DEVICE hardware NOT PC side hardware)

I installed the sony connect software for ONE reason and one reason only. TO log in to get my $50 credit :-) otherwise is SD card reader for me.

Anyway My suggestions.
First who made this thing with no way to JUMP to a specific page ? hello we got all 10 digits right there at the bottom thats a no brainer.

PDB support would be nice (I have zillions of PDB's)

Smaller font selection for the book list. IE I want 20-25 titles on the page not 10.

FOLDER STRUCTURE SUPPORT PLEASE- I want to load HUNDREDS of books onto this. Not a chance with the current interface. I only have 30 on there now and its a royal PITA to get to a desired book. I want to create a folder and see nothing but those folders and navigate THROUGH them like I would on a computer. Why do manufactures seem to have a FETISH about NOT providing this kind of no brainer interface.

WHY OH WHY won't it use the FILENAME as the title of the book when none is present please.

Is there no way to access 100% of the screen for reading PDF's ? How do you rename a PDF so it has a TITLE in the list ?

The only hardware aspect I really did not like was the Lithium Battery. I would much rather have preferred the AAA usage of the original LIBRIE over a rechargeable Especially for such a lower power device such as this. Then I would know this device would function for me as long as I could keep the hardware in one piece.

I also wish the joystick would navigate page. IT WILL go forward and backwards but only through pages you have already viewed (IT its like the back and forward buttons in a web browser) I am glad for TWO sets of next back buttons since inevitably these will be what wears out first so you get 2 lifes out of them this way. just wish one was on the right since I read fast enough that I have to either hold it with right hand on the left (cross) or hold it in the MIDDLE with my left hand (neither of which is totally comfortable) (I have big hands)

A way to illuminate this with something super thing like the edge thing would be nice but I would want it to actually snap onto the reader firmly AND to be VERY thin and not get in the way (Dongle neck lights are a ni go for this for the same reason they are a no go for paper books they suck and are a pain in the butt :-)

Other than that I have no other issues or complaints about the device. I am very pleased with it. (OK I would like a leather cover in orange. the green one is ok but I really want a bright orange one) :-)

If I had to minimize my complain/suggestion list.

#1 DIRECTORY access and organization on the reader
#2 Direct page entry
#3 Filename as Title Option for all files always for No Title Files

#4 Bonus Delete from device FYI this is not to HIDE its presense its to ELIMINATE its presence therby REMOVING it from my BOOK LIST so its not so CLUTTERED as I read and delete stuff.

#5 PDB File support

While not so important for BOOKS this WILL become important for subscription type stuff (weekly daily stuff or scraped web content etc..)

Clarification on #1 NO INDEXING or CACHING etc.. JUST load the file structure. worry about what it is when I select it. I don't want it premaking thumbnails or any such crap. just show me my files and let me load them.

But I would be very happy with just 1-3

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Last edited by nerys; 12-28-2006 at 01:57 AM.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 AM   #165
JoeTampa
JoeTampa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm not sure why you have #4 & #5 on your list, but you can remove the bonus books it comes with (which is what I presume you meant) and PDFs are definitely supported.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote