Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Fictionwise eReader app has been updated

This is the Fictionwise app, not B&N. Can someone try it on the iPad and take a screenshot? I'm hoping it might have some neat new feature (2 column mode, perhaps).

Thanks.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eread...84499993?mt=8#
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
It has linkable footnotes, and images, from what I can see. Landscape doesn't have two columns, at least in the book I looked at.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Here are screenshots of The Last Mohican:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	299
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	55476   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.PNG
Views:	301
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	55477  
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thanks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have downloaded it and checked it out quickly. It looks like a very vanilla iPad conversion, even the splash screen is blurry. Having said that, it presents the text full screen, which is all that is required. Everything else functions identically to the iPhone version. If you still have books in Fictionwise/eReader format then this is useful.

I can still download books from my Fictionwise shelf, but I have long since converted them to ePub.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is the Fictionwise app, not B&N. Can someone try it on the iPad and take a screenshot? I'm hoping it might have some neat new feature (2 column mode, perhaps).

Thanks.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eread...84499993?mt=8#
I just noticed this thread and wanted to give you my answer to your question even though I don't know how to do screen captures on the iPad. I've been an eReader user for years and I love the eReader app on the my iPad. I've used the other reader apps but this is the one I like most.

If you're familiar with eReader as it existed on the small PDAs, you'll find all the old settings are still there but I found I had to adjust them for the larger screen: the effect was wonderful.

I'm using a Large Times Roman on this device, with Huge margins (they're still pretty narrow though). I turned Night Theme on so I could use the Parchment theme that I've loved ever since I first found it. It's easy on the eyes and very attractive on the color screen.

I got tired of having it switch automatically into landscape, which I think is harder to read, so I locked orientation on Portrait. I like to tap the screen for page forward or back instead of using gestures and allowed the default animated page turns.

Reading is the eReader apps forte. Images are not. The images are very grainy although newer books like The Hobbit are better than the older books and the images in comercial books seem generally better to me than the out of copyright books on Fictionwise.

I had tried to use the old iPod Touch app on the iPad but it was terrible and I had deleted it. I hadn't loaded many books so after I updated the eReader app I had to go back to Fictionwise to get a few dozen of my favorite books back. (I haven't had a book reader I could use to read eReader books for some time.) Sadly, some of my favorites gave me a download error with a "file not found" message. I have them backed up, of course, but I don't know how to get the backups from my hard drive onto the iPad. I plan to keep looking.

I hope this is useful. eReader is definately my favorite book reader on the iPad, although I still think the iPad is a bit too heavy to make the best ebook reader.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I used eReader software and bought from their store for many years. (used on Pocket PC's, Palms, Sony Clie's...etc) But for me the Stanza app is so much better.... one of the reasons is that it supports "drag and drop" in itunes, so you could get those books that you can't in eReader..... And you can still get the Fictionwise/eReader books as well.....And Stanza is completely customizable..... I do like the "look" of eReader, but it is too limiting for me....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote