Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Medieval Guy
Medieval Guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo & multiple authors

A weird little thing I've noticed...books with multiple authors don't show up in Calibre as being both in the Calibre library and on the Kobo. What I mean by that is, I can transfer the book onto the Kobo with Caliber, and it shows both under the Library and on the Kobo. But the green checkmark that indicates it's in the other place isn't there. It's as if Caliber thinks the versions on the Kobo and in the Library are two different books.

Is it clear what I mean? It's a weird little glitch that probably doesn't have much practical importance, but it's nice to be able to use the green checks to know what exactly has and hasn't been transferred.
Medieval Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Medieval Guy

I think the problem is that Calibre and Kobo use different protocols for file-names of multiple-author works. So when Calibre transfers a single-author book, Kobo just takes the file as-is, but for a multiple author book it changes the file name. Then, when Calibre is reading the Kobo it sees a different file-name and assumes there are two different books, one on the computer and one on the Kobo.
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a ticket for it that way timlegge the developer of the kobo driver will see it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post
I think the problem is that Calibre and Kobo use different protocols for file-names of multiple-author works. So when Calibre transfers a single-author book, Kobo just takes the file as-is, but for a multiple author book it changes the file name. Then, when Calibre is reading the Kobo it sees a different file-name and assumes there are two different books, one on the computer and one on the Kobo.
Hi

I will take a look at the bug. Do you have an example PDF file that is not encumbered by DRM.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Medieval Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

I will take a look at the bug. Do you have an example PDF file that is not encumbered by DRM.

Tim
I'm using epubs, not pdfs, but sure. How can I get it to you?
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval Guy View Post
I'm using epubs, not pdfs, but sure. How can I get it to you?
Open a ticket then attach a file.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Open a ticket then attach a file.
Or just email my username at gmail.com...
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I haven't had this problem on my Kobo

I have 'The Gathering Storm' with author(s): 'Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson'

I do have the author sort set to just 'Jordan, Robert' so it stays with the rest of the series more easily, maybe that's a factor?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote