Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Starter
Starter began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Contrast and glare on the Nook

I know it may be too early to tell, but does anyone know anything about the Nook's screen yet, besides the numbers? Anyone heard or seen anything relating to how good the contrast is, and how well the screen fights glare? Specifically, how well it would compare in these areas to the Sony PRS-300 and 505?

I have a Sony PRS-300, and these qualities are excellent on this device, but the 5" screen is a bit small for PDF's. The PRS-505 has a larger 6" screen like most ereaders, but handles PDF's poorly. The Kindle seems to do okay with glare, but the contrast and text clarity is inferior to the 300/505.

So I've been thinking about the Nook...
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
I know it may be too early to tell, but does anyone know anything about the Nook's screen yet, besides the numbers? Anyone heard or seen anything relating to how good the contrast is, and how well the screen fights glare? Specifically, how well it would compare in these areas to the Sony PRS-300 and 505?
We can assume based on the hardware (i.e., no touchscreen) that the quality will be very comparable to the PRS-300 and the PRS-505.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
The PRS-505 has a larger 6" screen like most ereaders, but handles PDF's poorly.
The nook isn't likely to perform better when displaying PDFs. While there is definite room for improvement, the PRS-505 is state-of-the-art when it comes to displaying PDFs and, with everyone using Adobe Digital Editions, there isn't likely to be much variance.

I'm actually really surprised that the PRS-600 allowed any form of zooming (considering the slow refresh of e-Ink). As for why Adobe can't simply strip margins, the answer is beyond me...
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
We can assume based on the hardware (i.e., no touchscreen) that the quality will be very comparable to the PRS-300 and the PRS-505.

The nook isn't likely to perform better when displaying PDFs. While there is definite room for improvement, the PRS-505 is state-of-the-art when it comes to displaying PDFs and, with everyone using Adobe Digital Editions, there isn't likely to be much variance.

I'm actually really surprised that the PRS-600 allowed any form of zooming (considering the slow refresh of e-Ink). As for why Adobe can't simply strip margins, the answer is beyond me...
I think both the 600 and the 700 are state of the art as far as PDF is concerned, given that they allow both zooming and reflow. I just wish you had an option to make the zoom persistent like with the Cybook Gen3. The 505 and 300 are a bit lacking, but still good with properly OCRed pdfs, given that they only support reflow.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote