Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 AM   #901
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I got an email from Harlequin today that I won the Make a Date with Harlequin Viking Video contest. I remember watching the video and thought it was great. Don't quite remember that there was a contest nor what the prize is though. Guess it'll be a surprise when it arrives in the mail.
Congrats, Hemmi! And it looks like a nice prize
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #902
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Wow, nice prize if that's really it!

Of all my ereaders I don't have a Kindle. Mainly because I dislike Amazon. If I can't use it, I'll find someone that can.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #903
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Wow, nice prize if that's really it!

Of all my ereaders I don't have a Kindle. Mainly because I dislike Amazon. If I can't use it, I'll find someone that can.
If you only object to giving Amazon money a Kindle is still useful for mobi format from elsewhere or converted from ePub or freebies.

Here's one, also free on the Baen Books site

https://www.amazon.com/Fledgling-Lia...dp/B00APAELRI/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #904
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
For Harlequin My Rewards, you can re-submit the HMR Ratings Challenge and Share Your Thoughts With HMR! again for 100 points each.

There's also a new activity on the home page.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #905
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
The Anklets is an archaeology based historical romance (although from the blurb it's unclear whether the historical refers to the archaeology or the actual setting) short story by Deryn Lake. It is free right now at Kindle US.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Anklets-haunt...dp/B075FTCCY2/

‘With history this colourful and a mystery this baffling, the result is delicious’ – Good Book Guide

Spoiler:
Quote:
Alison Pope is the daughter of famous archaeologist Edgar Pope. After finishing her degree, she follows her adventurous spirit, and joins her father on all his digs. His latest excavation will take them to stunning Knidos in Turkey, where the resting place of a legendary Greek statue of Aphrodite is said to be.

Preparing to leave, they bring together a spirited cohort of enthusiastic archaeologists to assist them, but Alison is troubled by one of the members: the young epigrapher, Doctor Julian Grant. Immediately charmed by his good looks, Alison is disappointed to find out that he’s married. Yet even when she tries to put her crush aside in the name of professionalism, there’s something about him that just doesn’t quite sit right.

Then, one sleepless night, she decides to watch her father’s latest recording of the excavation site. But it isn't just dusty ground and tools: there's something else on the site, too. Someone: a man in a toga and, beside him, a mysterious, alluring woman...

Why is it that no one else can see these figures? And why do they keep haunting Alison?

A short historical story with a romantic twist, The Anklets is a thrilling little tale.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #906
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weekly Report:

Read:
  • Always My Girl (The Shaughnessy Brothers #3) by Samantha Chase (D+/2 stars)
  • Chasing Christmas Eve (Heartbreaker Bay #4) by Jill Shalvis (B/4 stars)
  • Whiskey River Rescue (Whiskey River #1) by Justine Davis (B/4 stars)
  • This is Our Song (The Shaughnessy Brothers #4) by Samantha Chase (D-/1 star)
  • The Wedding Trap (Second Service #1) by Adrienne Bell (B+/4 stars)
  • A Sky Full of Stars (The Shaughnessy Brothers #5) by Samantha Chase (C-/2 stars)

Purchased:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	books 10-1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	159260  
Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #907
ferrywoman
Groupie
ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ferrywoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Air 2
library addict, I've been meaning to ask: Are Samantha Chase's books in this series not up to par, or is her writing just not for you?
ferrywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #908
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I was wondering the same thing!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #909
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrywoman View Post
library addict, I've been meaning to ask: Are Samantha Chase's books in this series not up to par, or is her writing just not for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I was wondering the same thing!
A mixture of both I think. From the blurbs and characters this series should totally be my catnip. So the books are disappointing more than bad. She just has the characters behave so foolishly and the plot setups come off as forced too often. So it's a mixture of disappointing plot turns as well as the writing because characters react in such extremes. I can't really give details without massive spoilers. I so want to like the books. And I do like most of the characters which is the reason I've kept reading.

This is also a case of where I already had the whole series (minus the last book which has their sister as the heroine as it is yet to be released) in my TBR because in the past I've tended to buy whole series if I like the blurb of a later book. I've been trying to break myself of this habit, but as a read-in-order type person it is difficult...not to mention expensive when things don't work out!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #910
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
I was also wondering why you kept reading Samantha Chase's books when you didn't seem to like them too much. I'm glad the question was asked.

I'm trying hard to break myself of the need to read series in order, and I've been somewhat successful. I have certain plot tropes that I really dislike (as well as some that I love) so if I want to read a later book in a series but an earlier one has a trope I don't like, I've trained myself to skip it.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #911
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weekly report (a bit late but....):
  • Purchased

Name:	Comprados.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	159272
  • Read

Name:	Leidos.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	159273
Old 10-03-2017, 02:51 AM   #912
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Read in order is not a peeve of mine with books, neither finishing series nor books (thank to God )
Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #913
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

I am willing to give up on series and DNF books.

With this particular series the books probably could be read as stand alones. But there weren't any blurbs that seemed off-putting to me, so since I had them all in the TBR anyway reading in order was easy to do.

And even though the final grades were in the below average range there were parts of each of the books I enjoyed.

I tend to grade mostly on my reaction to a book. The writing style, grammar use, etc. all play a part in that, but my grades are ultimately based on a combination of how much I liked the romance and the plot plus the level of enjoyment I had while actually reading it. So if the overwhelming feeling I am left with at the end of the book was "that would have been so much better if the hero hadn't been such a complete tool and then not changed his attitude enough" or "the heroine should have been the one groveling" the grade will reflect that. If I really love the characters and romance that can and will override many a plot issue. But if I am left with a sense of dissatisfaction once the book is done even the best writing isn't going to turn that around. In each case with these books I had major issues with things the characters did and/or ridiculous plot points that threw me out of the story multiple times. So for me they were below average books.

But a C- isn't really a terrible book, it's just below average. Same with a D+ though that would be a book I had more issues with. If I really dislike a book it's either a DNF or F. The thing is that unless a book is by a favorite author or part of a multi-author series were I like the others I tend to just delete those books from my Calibre library.

Last edited by library addict; 10-03-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #914
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Weekly report (a bit late but....):
So how was Viper? I take it you loved it as much as I did?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 AM   #915
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So how was Viper? I take it you loved it as much as I did?
I liked the book a lot, but I found it a bit of lacking in romance. The interaction between them is very nice.... in a Pigmalion sense, but not so much in romance. Anyway, a very good book.