Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
renahobie
renahobie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub validation error

I'm getting this error: Duplicate entry in the ZIP file: '%1$f'. :f != java.lang.String
What does this mean and how do I fix it? I created the file in InDesign CC and I'm not very familiar with epubs.
Thank you in advance!
renahobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please provide more information. What is giving this error? How did you create the ePUB with InDesign (the settings)?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
renahobie

Thank you for responding.
The epub is version 2.0.1. I ran it through the EPUB Validator (beta) from idpf and it gave me that error. It didn't give me anything for the line or position.
What other info can I give you?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Did you use the online validator or did you run it on your computer?
Anyway, since an ePUB is a special made zip file, you can inspect it by opening it for example with 7-zip. Just be careful not recreate the zip. You can do this, but you would need to know how.
Upon inspection, you can check if there are duplicate files... You could also open the ePUB in Sigil or the Calibre editor (part of the Calibre program). That would probably solve the issue at once.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
renahobie

I used the online validator.
Anyway, I brought it into Calibre and I was able to find the duplicate files. I ran it through the validator again and all's good. So thank you for the suggestion!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
cyrenemary
cyrenemary began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle, kobo
Duplicate entry in the ZIP file: '%1$f'. :f != java.lang.String

Hello!
I'm running into the same problem. I'm trying to publish my first ebook and have gone thought the validation process using epubchecker and the IDPF website.

I created an InDesign Book and export to epub 3

I have calibre but I don't know what to look for.
I also have ecancrusher but, again I have no idea what I'm looking for. I couldn't see any "duplicate"
cyrenemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
A very strange error. It is possible to download the ebook to inspect it?
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrenemary View Post
That looks more like an error in epubcheck than it does an error in the ePub.

Are you sure your Java is up-to-date? Are you running epubcheck 4.02?

One thing you can do is try the Calibre editor's check and see what errors it comes up with.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-06-2017 at 09:18 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
That error message is from a so called Java ResourceBundle, which is a mechanism to make the application translatable. Obviously there's a problem with replacing the format string %1$f, namely: f != java.lang.String means that f is supposed to be a String, but isn't. If the problem is still present in the code, I could try to fix it. Would be helpful if you send me your ePub file, otherwise I would just have to try to create my own with duplicated entries, which might lead to the same error condition or maybe doesn't.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrenemary View Post

Hello!
I'm running into the same problem. I'm trying to publish my first ebook and have gone thought the validation process using epubchecker and the IDPF website.
Run epubcheck on your system. Don't validate online. You want epubcheck 4.0.2.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What is the downside of using online epubcheck?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
You're giving your book to some random person on the internet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also, the site doesn't say what version of epubcheck it's using.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
skreutzer
Software Developer
skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.skreutzer considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's not true for validator.idpf.org.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Again, in case you're referring to the online validation service as provided by the IDPF, maybe the upload size limit of 10 MB is actually enforced. Futhermore, it's not fair to use the resources of the IDPF excessively, especially if you have to perform a lot of checks.

Please note that I was not able to reproduce the given error message with the latest code. I prepared a Zip file with duplicate file names, but as the error message suggests, even before this issue there's the problem that the object representing the file entry isn't a String, causing the malformed error message I would like to fix.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, error, validation