Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
No Roger Zelazny ebooks?

I'm out of work for a while with a foot injury, so I've spent my time reading...alot. I've been jonesing for Roger Zelazny, particularly Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness, but apparently they are not available as ebooks. Anyone have any idea why this is? I've got a paper copy of Lord of Light, but I lost my copy of Creatures of Light and Darkness a few years ago, and I would love to re-read it.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I second the motion. I would pay serious cash money for Zelazny titles; someone is missing out on a real financial opportunity here.

Aside from Zelazny's particular situation, I've frequently noticed that publishers don't seem to make e-books available when the paper versions are out of print. I could give you a list of authors whose back catalogs are missing in action, even though their more recent titles are available. I just don't understand why publishers would turn their backs on easy sales like that.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Not making excuses for the publishers, but most/a lot of back catalogs don't have a digital file to create the ebooks from. It would mean OCRing and editing and I think most publishers don't see enough profit.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I would think Amber and Lord of Light would be worth the effort, but I don't know a thing about how the publishing industry works.

Last edited by shootingMaNs; 07-11-2013 at 08:04 PM.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have always thought the not having Lord of Light as an ebook was a major mistake for the publishing world. Especially since it was the 1968 Hugo winner.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Not making excuses for the publishers, but most/a lot of back catalogs don't have a digital file to create the ebooks from. It would mean OCRing and editing and I think most publishers don't see enough profit.
Indeed. The payback just isn't there in some cases. And we've seen how crappy the results of doing it badly can be. Part of me sasys enjoy the paper and move on to new things with eBooks.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I remember when there didn't appear to be ANY Zelazny ebooks available for purchase. Now it seems there are at least a few. I expect with time, there will be even more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's possible that Harper Collins, who put out the current paperback editions in 2010, doesn't have the rights to do electronic versions and they reside with his estate.

An email to his son might bring an answer...
http://trentzelazny.com/index.php?page=contact

I'd think the publisher would be willing on books that have sold enough to be kept in print since the late 60's.

My guess is that with patience they will be coming.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's possible that Harper Collins, who put out the current paperback editions in 2010, doesn't have the rights to do electronic versions and they reside with his estate.

An email to his son might bring an answer...
http://trentzelazny.com/index.php?page=contact

I'd think the publisher would be willing on books that have sold enough to be kept in print since the late 60's.

My guess is that with patience they will be coming.
Please don't send an email to his son. This is from Trent's facebook page:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE:
Please do not contact me regarding my father's work at this time. I have very little to no say, and neither I, nor my brother or sister, receive much in the way of financial compensation from the estate. Asking me about rights, or asking me to put you in touch with "the right people", is basically rubbing salt into painful wounds. If things change, this note will be taken down, but until then, please be courteous, and understand that asking me about such things will not only not get you anywhere, but it is also offensive and disrespectful. Thanks.
http://www.facebook.com/trentzelazny/info

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
The can always do what Jerry Pournelle did: get the pirate editions and go from there. Norman Spinrad too.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Ud8nj2LD_MI
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Please don't send an email to his son. This is from Trent's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/trentzelazny/info

Shari
Sounds like there is a shameful story there somewhere.
Alas, not uncommon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, that's sad.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The can always do what Jerry Pournelle did: get the pirate editions and go from there. Norman Spinrad too.
Yeah.. There is that. And it's a shame that some pirates are willing to put more time and energy to produce a product then that group that calls themselves *publisher*. (See Harry Potter)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
From what I've heard (and therefore should be taken with a large grain of salt), late in Roger Zelazny's life, he left his wife to be with a much younger woman. He did not change his will and his literary estate went to his estranged wife. As Hell hath no Fury like a woman scorned, I suspect there will be few reprints or ebook releases as long as she is in control of his literary estate, as there is no better revenge on an author than oblivion through unavailability.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 07-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.Ud8nj2LD_MI
Hopefully anyone creating a professionally published version of their ebooks will not do what Norman Spinrad did, and publish them without copyediting them. I got a copy of Mindgames from Amazon that was so bad that there were conversations where you couldn't tell who was speaking even from the context. Walter Jon Williams also started with pirated editions when he self-published his out of print works, but he copyedited his.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote