Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Too large font?

I've updated my Libra H2O to the newest firmware (4.34.20097) and added patches (by geek1011 et al.). I've also tried to change language to my native one. However, it looks like the font below the cover is too large (see the attached photo). I can see only "Przeczytano..." without the necessary percents (in English version we have, e.g., "90% completed"). Is there any way to lower the size of this font or maybe there exists another patch? Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zrzut_10.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	966.7 KB
ID:	197033  
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Is that the Home screen in your pics?

If so, nickel patch, New home screen subtitle custom font, already allows you to change the font-size of the lower (grey) caption.

If it's the upper (black) caption that is the problem then I'm slightly confused because my Home screen (in English) has the %-read as the leftmost part of the caption, e.g. '28% Read'. If the font-size was too big I would have expected the '28%' part to remain and the 'Read' part to disappear off the right edge.

If it would help I can add some extra options to the above patch to independently change the font-size of the upper (black) caption.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

If it would help I can add some extra options to the above patch to independently change the font-size of the upper (black) caption.

I would love this patch. Can we change the font tupe also of the "28% Read" texts?

I am also confused why his homescreen (top) first row is like that.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I would love this patch. Can we change the font tupe also of the "28% Read" texts?
What do you mean by "font tupe" (or even "font type" )? Do you mean font-family or something else?

Quote:
I am also confused why his homescreen (top) first row is like that.
@errenay didn't specify but Google tells me that 'Przeczytano' is Polish for 'Read'. I tried setting my Kobo to use 'Polish' for the language UI and, indeed, '28% Read' became 'Przeczytano 28%' Is Polish a new language interface? If so, there appears to have been a distinct lack of practical beta testing.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
What do you mean by "font tupe" (or even "font type" )? Do you mean font-family or something else?

@errenay didn't specify but Google tells me that 'Przeczytano' is Polish for 'Read'. I tried setting my Kobo to use 'Polish' for the language UI and, indeed, '28% Read' became 'Przeczytano 28%' Is Polish a new language interface? If so, there appears to have been a distinct lack of practical beta testing.
yes font type or family. Sorry for the typo. My eyes are bad and my phone keyboard is small.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes font type or family. Sorry for the typo. My eyes are bad and my phone keyboard is small.
You *could* change font-family for either label, but only in a very limited way following the major font handling changes Kobo made a couple of firmwares ago. For instance you could (I think) patch to use:
  • Avenir (the built-in GUI sans-serif font) for both labels (already tested by me) or
  • Georgia (the built-in GUI serif font) for both labels (not already tested)
but, unfortunately, it seems you can no longer patch to use one of your sideloaded fonts.

What, exactly, did you have in mind?
Old 10-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Is Polish a new language interface? If so, there appears to have been a distinct lack of practical beta testing.
Polish, Romanian, Czech were added in the 4.34.20097 firmware.

Edit: for what it may be worth, I've reported this issue to Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
There is a 'Large Print Mode' in the Beta Features. Has it been activated?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Polish, Romanian, Czech were added in the 4.34.20097 firmware.

Edit: for what it may be worth, I've reported this issue to Kobo.
Thanks for reporting it. I can change the kobopatch but it's obviously a far better solution if Kobo fix it at source.

Of those 3 languages only Polish seems to be the "wrong way round". Perhaps '28% Przeczytano' is really "bad" Polish?
Old 10-08-2022, 05:10 AM   #10
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Perhaps '28% Przeczytano' is really "bad" Polish?
Yes, in Polish language we have rather "Przeczytano 28%" than "28% przeczytano" (contrary to English). I've thought that changing font size is the best way to solve the missing (and important!) part.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Yes, in Polish language we have rather "Przeczytano 28%" than "28% przeczytano" (contrary to English). I've thought that changing font size is the best way to solve the missing (and important!) part.
I've added options to the existing patch New home screen subtitle custom font to change the font-size of the "Przeczytano 28%" upper label on the Home screen. To use it:
  1. Find the existing patch name in your copy of nickel.yaml
  2. Replace the whole thing with the new patch code in the spoiler below
  3. Your info box says you have a Libra H2O, so find this line in the new patch code
    Code:
    Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 42px;\n}"
    and reduce the font-size from 42px to whatever you want.
  4. Enable the patch, re-run kobopatch and install all your patches in the normal way.
New home screen subtitle custom font - updated
Spoiler:
Code:
New home screen subtitle custom font:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      On the Home screen:
        Change upper label font-size
        Change subtitle (lower label) font size and/or font colour.
      Upper label example is the black text caption
      - 'x% Read' - top row
      - 'My Books' - middle row
      Subtitle (lower label) examples are the grey text captions containing:
      - 'x HOURS TO GO' for kepubs (not shown for epubs) - top row
      - 'x BOOKS' under 'My Books' - middle row
      Works best when used with with patch `Increase home screen cover size`
  - FindZlib: "#homeWidgetTopContainer" # qss/GenericHomeWidget.qss
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
        # Change subtitle (lower label) font colour from mid-grey to black
        - {Find: "MetaDataLabel {\n  color: #666666;\n  qproperty-indent: 0;\n}", Replace: "MetaDataLabel {\n  color: #000000;\n  qproperty-indent: 0;\n}"}
        #
        # Change subtitle (lower label) font-size (e.g. time remaining in book)
          # Touch/Mini (Trilogy)
        - Find:    "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 13px;\n}"
          Replace: "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 14px;\n}"
          # Glo/Aura/Aura2E/Nia (Phoenix)
        - Find:    "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 17px;\n}"
          Replace: "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 18px;\n}"
          # AuraHD/AuraH2O/AuraH2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD (Dragon)
        - Find:    "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 24px;\n}"
          Replace: "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 26px;\n}"
          # LibraH2O/Libra2 (Storm)
        - Find:    "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 28px;\n}"
          Replace: "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 30px;\n}"
          # AuraONE/Forma/Sage/Elipsa (Daylight)
        - Find:    "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 31px;\n}"
          Replace: "MetaDataLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 34px;\n}"
        #
        # Change upper label (black) font-size (e.g. % Read)
          # Touch/Mini (Trilogy)
        - Find:    "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 21px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 21px;\n}"
          # Glo/Aura/Aura2E/Nia (Phoenix)
        - Find:    "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 26px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 26px;\n}"
          # AuraHD/AuraH2O/AuraH2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD (Dragon)
        - Find:    "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 36px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 36px;\n}"
          # LibraH2O/Libra2 (Storm)
        - Find:    "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 42px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {\n  font-size: 42px;\n}"
          # AuraONE/Forma/Sage/Elipsa (Daylight)
        - Find:    "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 47px;\n}"
          Replace: "RegularElidedLabel[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 47px;\n}"

If it works for you, please let me know and I'll push the update to @geek1011's GitHub repository for inclusion in the standard kobopatch pack.

As @DNSB has reported the Polish problem to Kobo, maybe they'll provide a fix in the next firmware update, but if not this updated patch should suffice.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:51 AM   #12
errenay
Enthusiast

Thank you, jackie_w! It works. I've set smaller font and now the whole sentence can be seen.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Thank you, jackie_w! It works. I've set smaller font and now the whole sentence can be seen.
Thanks for letting me know. I've committed the update at the GitHub site. It should be part of the standard kobopatch pack next time @geek1011 issues a new release.

In the meantime, your manual update should be fine. No need to do anything else.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #14
errenay
Enthusiast

It looks like I've encountered the same problem with the new firmware (4.35.20400). But the previous solution works!