Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 01:26 PM   #1
nerdish
nerdish began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question KoboCloud and NickelMenu

Hi,
New Libra2 owner here. I noticed that the initial operations for both of these add-on programs require the copying of their respective KoboRoot.tgz files to the KOBOeReader/.kobo folder.

My concerns are the following:
1) the native unmolested device already has a KoboRoot.tgz file. Is it ok to be overwriting it?
2) KoboCloud and NickelMenu have their own KoboRoot.tgz files. Can I just install them in succession and have them both functional at the same time?

I basically need Google Drive integration and Dark Mode -- at the same time!

TIA!
nerdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdish View Post
1) the native unmolested device already has a KoboRoot.tgz file. Is it ok to be overwriting it?
It shouldn't unless you caught it in the middle of setting up a FW update.

EDIT: And, yes, either unpack the tarballs yourself in a shell if you know what you're doing, or just chain a cycle of reboots to install them one by one.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #3
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
The easier way to install is:

- connect, put the tgz file of the first one in the .kobo directory, disconnect and let the device process it

- connect again, put the tgz file of the second one in the .kobo directory, disconnect, and let the device process it

At this point, you will have both utilities installed. Every time you disconnect and the device reboots, the tgz file gets processed and then it disappears from the .kobo directory.

If you want to be 100% sure you are not going to interfere with an official update, keep the wifi off while doing all operations, and be sure to have the Kobo App closed on your pc.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
nerdish
nerdish began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you guys for the quick and informative replies! I'll be sure to follow through.

And @Lys, thanks for the dish on turning off wifi to make it more fool-proof!
nerdish is offline   Reply With Quote