Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #121
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So it's Amazon not allowing APub eBooks to be lent via Overdrive. In that case, Overdrive should stop lending Kindle format eBooks. That would lower the sales of Kindles and teach Amazon a lesson.
I love your sense of humor, John!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #122
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So it's Amazon not allowing APub eBooks to be lent via Overdrive. In that case, Overdrive should stop lending Kindle format eBooks. That would lower the sales of Kindles and teach Amazon a lesson.
Or it could also maybe ... I don't know (I'm just winging it, here) ... accomplish neither of those things, and end up pointlessly harming Overdrive?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #123
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
If people want the digital APubs they can subscribe to KU. Meanwhile, if Overdrive removed all the Kindle new releases I get via my public library, I would be [self-censored.]
Incandescent with rage.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #124
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
I was just reading about this on The Digital Reader
The Publishing Industry Thinks Facebook and Netflix Are Doomed

The publishing industry continues to insist that "screen fatigue" is causing e-book sales to flag. It certainly has nothing to do with high prices.

As you can tell by the title, the article debunks "screen fatigue" by pointing out that other screen intensive entertainment is flourishing.
Well, there is a difference between using a screen to facebook & play games and using it to read a book.

And high prices have certainly contributed to the decline in ebook sales - to argue otherwise runs against everything we know about how supply & demand work.

But what the last few years have shown, quite convincingly, is that, for the time being, there seems to be a limit in how far ebooks will penetrate the book market. We can argue back and forth about why a substantial number of people prefer paper books over ebooks and if that dynamic will change (and other what circumstances), but the fact remains, that for a significant number of consumers, reading an ebook is simply not preferable.

Taking myself as a rather atypical example, I've owned ebook readers since the Sony PRS-505 came out (the PRS 505, the PRS-650, the T1, T2, the Kindle Paperwhite 2 & 3, the Kindle Oasis and the new Oasis 2 is on pre-order), but I buy all books I REALLY look forward to, as a hardcover. And I read a lot, so yeah, space is a problem. I've recently converted all bookshelves to floor-to-ceiling (and my rooms are quite high, this being a very old European pre-WW1 apartment building).

It's just a personal preference, and I don't think I could make a convincing argument for any more ebook-enthusiastic MobileRead member, but if you talk to people in the book-selling business (and not necessarily the publishers), there seems to be a large segment of buyers for whom ebooks are simply not a viable option.

KU and Overdrive don't really compete with regular "sales", they compete with libraries or used-book-sales, so whether or not they have any impact on ebook sales deosn't really matter for the sake of comparing pure sales figures.

To which I say: yeah, if ebook prices were lower, sure, the sales would increase, but what's so bad if pbooks and ebooks co-exist?

Why does one have to "win" in order for nayone to feel vindicated?

Isn't the freedom of being able to buy in whatever format you choose the best possible solution enayway?

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #125
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Well, there is a difference between using a screen to facebook & play games and using it to read a book.

And high prices have certainly contributed to the decline in ebook sales - to argue otherwise runs against everything we know about how supply & demand work.

But what the last few years have shown, quite convincingly, is that, for the time being, there seems to be a limit in how far ebooks will penetrate the book market. We can argue back and forth about why a substantial number of people prefer paper books over ebooks and if that dynamic will change (and other what circumstances), but the fact remains, that for a significant number of consumers, reading an ebook is simply not preferable.

Taking myself as a rather atypical example, I've owned ebook readers since the Sony PRS-505 came out (the PRS 505, the PRS-650, the T1, T2, the Kindle Paperwhite 2 & 3, the Kindle Oasis and the new Oasis 2 is on pre-order), but I buy all books I REALLY look forward to, as a hardcover. And I read a lot, so yeah, space is a problem. I've recently converted all bookshelves to floor-to-ceiling (and my rooms are quite high, this being a very old European pre-WW1 apartment building).

It's just a personal preference, and I don't think I could make a convincing argument for any more ebook-enthusiastic MobileRead member, but if you talk to people in the book-selling business (and not necessarily the publishers), there seems to be a large segment of buyers for whom ebooks are simply not a viable option.

KU and Overdrive don't really compete with regular "sales", they compete with libraries or used-book-sales, so whether or not they have any impact on ebook sales deosn't really matter for the sake of comparing pure sales figures.

To which I say: yeah, if ebook prices were lower, sure, the sales would increase, but what's so bad if pbooks and ebooks co-exist?

Why does one have to "win" in order for nayone to feel vindicated?

Isn't the freedom of being able to buy in whatever format you choose the best possible solution enayway?

Matt
Do you buy any ebooks?

Oh and the article linked only applies to the big 5 publishers. All other ebooks which number in the millions are not counted.
Amazon doesn't share their figures.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #126
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I primarily read books from the big publishers. The ability to borrow ebooks takes away from the purchase of ebooks for me. If Overdrive was not an option, then I would buy the ebooks that I wanted to read regardless of the price. My choices are driven by a desire to save money rather than budget limitations.

I used to spend more than $500 on ebooks each year. The high price of ebooks due to agency pricing is what drove me to look actively for other sources. The number of books available through Overdrive has significantly expanded over the years. The ease of borrowing and getting the ebook on your reading device has also improved.

Now I only buy an ebook if it is not available to me via Overdrive or subscription services. If I cannot borrow an ebook, then I don't look for the same book via a paper-copy at the library or a used bookstore copy. I buy the ebook. I may choose to read a different book. Also, I often ask my library to purchase the ebook in question.

So far this year I have spent $57 on ebooks, mostly due to book club obligations. The value of ebooks that I have borrowed in 2017 is roughly $420 from Overdrive and $185 from Scribd (after subtracting the monthly fee).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #127
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I just subscribed to a new finance magazine, Kiplinger's. I have't had a paid subscription just for a magazine for several years.
I do get the IEEE magazine, but that is free due to being a "life member" or some such. Also AAA and AARP again being a member but that costs.

I read finance stuff online all the time, but I have now realized that I would rather have a paper magazine. I can mark it, tag it with page markers, usually a bit of tape or a label. This is what I do with books I am using to reference my writing. I put it down somewhere, in the kitchen, the bathroom, the car, wherever, and it is ready to go instantly the next time I have a chance to read.

I was surprised to find that of the 6 or 8 finance magazines I remember, only Kiplinger's and Money still survive. (I am now working on getting a reduced rate subscription of Money.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
If people want the digital APubs they can subscribe to KU. Meanwhile, if Overdrive removed all the Kindle new releases I get via my public library, I would be [self-censored.]
Incandescent with rage.
I would actually be happy. Less people, shorter lines. Go ePub!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #129
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
From Amazon:
Quote:
We’re always assessing opportunities for these titles. For now, Kindle versions of Amazon Publishing titles are only available through Amazon.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #130
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have now realized that I would rather have a paper magazine. I can mark it, tag it with page markers, usually a bit of tape or a label.
I'm the same with newspapers.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #131
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm the same with newspapers.
Well there you have me!

I just realized that it is years since I have held a "real ink and paper" newspaper. The closest I have come is the local University's student newspaper and that at least a year ago. Other than that, between 3 and 7 years.

When I was a kid I carried the paper early in the morning every day all the way through High School. Rain, sun or whatever, sick or not.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:30 AM   #132
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Do you buy any ebooks?
Yes, 1-2 a month on average, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh and the article linked only applies to the big 5 publishers. All other ebooks which number in the millions are not counted.
Amazon doesn't share their figures.
That's not really the issue here, though. If ebooks were taking the world by storm, we'd see the difference with the big 5 as well. Most of the book buying public does not read self-published books, as much as folks here want to tell themselves otherwise.

Listen, I'm not judging. All I'm saying is - can't we all be happy that the world of books has such a wide variety of stuff to offer? Hardcovers, paperbacks, used books, ebooks, libraries, Kindle Unlimited, traditional big publishers and self-published books?

Isn't it enough that we can choose whatever we like to read?

Matt
Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 AM   #133
MattW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I primarily read books from the big publishers. The ability to borrow ebooks takes away from the purchase of ebooks for me. If Overdrive was not an option, then I would buy the ebooks that I wanted to read regardless of the price. My choices are driven by a desire to save money rather than budget limitations.

I used to spend more than $500 on ebooks each year. The high price of ebooks due to agency pricing is what drove me to look actively for other sources. The number of books available through Overdrive has significantly expanded over the years. The ease of borrowing and getting the ebook on your reading device has also improved.

Now I only buy an ebook if it is not available to me via Overdrive or subscription services. If I cannot borrow an ebook, then I don't look for the same book via a paper-copy at the library or a used bookstore copy. I buy the ebook. I may choose to read a different book. Also, I often ask my library to purchase the ebook in question.

So far this year I have spent $57 on ebooks, mostly due to book club obligations. The value of ebooks that I have borrowed in 2017 is roughly $420 from Overdrive and $185 from Scribd (after subtracting the monthly fee).
Maybe I mis-stated my point. Your Overdrive lending is to buying ebooks what lending from a library is to buying pbooks.

In that sense whether or not you're using Overdrive doesn't change the market share of ebooks vs. paper books - as you yourself point out, you wouldn't go to a library if Overdrive didn't have an ebook, you'd buy the ebook.

The question we wanted to address was whether ebooks are losing steam in "taking over the market". You're an ebook consumer anyway; the fact that you use Overdrive doesn't "undercount" ebook-sales, because your equivalent on the pbook side of the equation is the guy who goes to a library.

My point was that we need to compare actual sales to actual sales, not pbook sales to Overdrive lending. That's why people referring to KU or similar services in order to point out how great ebooks are really doing are completely missing the point.

And you made my point for me better than I did.

So thank you,
Matt
Old 10-26-2017, 03:00 AM   #134
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
My point was that we need to compare actual sales to actual sales, not pbook sales to Overdrive lending. That's why people referring to KU or similar services in order to point out how great ebooks are really doing are completely missing the point.
Matt
No. They are not missing the point. It is like looking at the music industry but disregarding the very substantial market share of subscription streaming services. The fact that there is no agreed or perfect method to compare a read on KU with an actual sale does not justify disregarding it.

The point which you seem to have missed is that these figures do not take account of the majority of ebook sales, even if you take no account whatsoever of KU. I will assume for the sake of this discussion that you are correct in identifying the question addressed in this thread as "whether ebooks are losing steam in "taking over the market"". In this case, these figures establish that the answer is affirmative for the books covered by the report, which are essentially traditionally published books. Their value in resolving the question so far as the entire market is concerned is at best indirect, as the enormous number of ebooks not taken into account tend towards a negative answer. If you truly want to answer the question you will need to look to Author Earnings, which attempts to cover the whole market.

It seems that ebooks are going from strength to strength outside of traditionally published agency priced ebooks.

And yes, it is wonderful that we can all mostly get what we want. I heavily favour ebooks but if you prefer print books I have absolutely no desire to deprive you of them. Print books are not going away any time soon, and I don't expect they will ever go away completely.

Last edited by darryl; 10-26-2017 at 03:07 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #135
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I agree. The OP asked why do we think ebook sales are declining? The article states
Quote:
The shift is a surprise reversal for an industry that experts just a decade ago predicted was facing radical change, if not a slow death, because of digitization and changing reading habits. Instead, e-book sales in the U.S. were down about 17% last year, according to the AAP industry group, while printed book rev-enue rose 4.5%.
I am directly contributing to that decline in ebook sales because I no longer buy ebooks directly from the publishers, which I assume is what is the source of that metric. That's $605 in lost sales from me this year. Yet, I'm reading just as many or even more books than ever. And I'm still reading ebooks. I've just shifted to alternate distribution methods including library lending and a subscription service. I did not shift back to buying paper books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote