Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Would Sony Ever Make A Reflective Color LCD Reader?

Is it cost effective to do this as a way of competing with the iPad? Since reflective LCDs can be read in sunlight, that could be a big advantage over the iPad, although the iPad would still be more versatile unless Sony expands the power of the reader's operating system.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If they ever were to make a device to compete with the iPad it would probably be a tablet-like device that would have a regular OS similiar to a netbook. I'm sure this device could also be used as an ebook reader but it would not be the primary function.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
BBRags
Connoisseur

Would Sony be likely to position its reader to compete with the iPad, feature for feature? Sony makes laptops so they have the technical skills to produce a tablet. A tablet with a transreflective screen would get my dollars. The iPad is being hailed now as the definitive Kindle Killer. If it kills the Kindle, there's not much hope for Sony eInk readers either.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
Is it cost effective to do this as a way of competing with the iPad? Since reflective LCDs can be read in sunlight, that could be a big advantage over the iPad, although the iPad would still be more versatile unless Sony expands the power of the reader's operating system.
eInk is working on a color version using their tech... they are also supposed to be faster and allow video and such. I'd expect once these are available Sony will start working on one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I too think that once color-eInk is available, there'll be dedicated readers. I would also take the reflective LCD version if battery live is ok.
Anyways, what I want to say is, that I'll most likely will buy a color ereader once it's available, but for more (email, video, etc.) I won't go with a tablet. I allready have my laptop and I can type with all my 10 fingers. So a touchscreen for text-input just won't cut it for me.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
I think people - journalists, mostly - who say: "iPad will kill Kindle" or "will iPad kill Kindle?", and so on, are people who WANT iPad kill ereaders, because they do believe ebooks will eventually kill publishing industry. They think: "look at what happened to mp3s and music industry: ebooks will do the same to publishers".
A load of crap, of course.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'm seeing the acceptance of the iPad and I think the future does NOT belong to e-ink, even if it goes color. The average person will buy a tablet that does video and has 10 hour battery life ahead of one that has a slightly better display for reading and battery life of weeks. Unless e-ink refresh rates ever approach LCD's, that means the market for e-ink displays is peaking about... now.

We'll see. I could easily be wrong but I expect a major product shift and, yes, it is Apple's fault.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
There'll probably be a shift due to mainstream demand. But I think there will still be enough people out there who will appreciate a nice slow eInk device
So even if eInk is peaking right now, I think that this peak will persist (meaning that I still would buy an eInk instead of a backlit LCD). Theres just something about ereaders that a tablet won't cut. My Laptop and cell phone play mp3s, still I prefer my dedicated mp3-player.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against video. But an eInk like they are now just resembles books better for me than something like the ipad. So I love the "slowness" of the reader but prefer the small size and additional functionality over pbooks.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Sony's had Vaio UMPC devices on the market for donkey years (UX series).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
BBRags
Connoisseur

Legibility in sunlight is VERY important. Transreflective LCD screens were once a little fuzzier than the better LCDs. I don't know how the screens compare today.

Is there any reason Sony can't use more than one type of screen in their reader line? eInk, transLCD, even OLED for a variety of uses.

Besides the screen technology, Apple's pricing on ebooks will be key, but Apple will have pricing power due to its huge user base.