Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
According to https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

The Kobo "seems to have the capability to keep track of book searches because it indicates that it shares those searches with third parties".
To be clear, that would be book searches in the Kobo store done using WiFi or using the Kobo app or desktop program.

If Kobo has a way to track my book searches within my own library when the WiFi is turned off, I'd like to know how they do it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Are you sure? If you are going to use a fake email address you should be certain that no one actually has it.

I have one fairly generic email address that other people have used to sign up for services from time to time. When I get a notification of that I use password reset to gain access to the account and delete it. (Except for one time that it was a dating site and instead of deleting I had fun rewriting the user’s profile and interests.)
You are wicked and devious. I love it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #48
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To be clear, that would be book searches in the Kobo store done using WiFi or using the Kobo app or desktop program.
I don't see that distinction anywhere. I'm assuming if they make a business and have privacy agreements and sell your info to third parties, they are gathering something. Don't know, not affected.

Quote:
If Kobo has a way to track my book searches within my own library when the WiFi is turned off, I'd like to know how they do it.
Oh, it's probably tracking, just waiting for you to turn on the wifi so it can send out it's little info packet about your reading habits.

Personally, now I'm interested in seeing what my Onyx does when it goes online. I'll report back what I find.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #49
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Are you sure? If you are going to use a fake email address you should be certain that no one actually has it.
Yes. That's easy to do, also: there are a number of reserved addresses (example.com, example.net and example.org, for instance) that can never be legitimately registered. So using email addresses along the lines of user@example.com or user@example.net should be safe in this respect.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #50
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok interest peaked. Please name me one hardware that came with services and failed completely.
Quote:
Perhaps the most famous example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat
Never head of it.

I would have thought

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

would be more famous. Those turned into doorstops after the business failure. Kobo e-readers do not require Kobo to stay in business in order to work.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #51
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Kobo e-readers do not require Kobo to stay in business in order to work.
Thanks to people knowing sqlite.

If you didn't know about altering the DB and brought one on ebay after they go out of business, then what?

Good call on the Divx thing too, I had forgotten about that.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see that distinction anywhere. I'm assuming if they make a business and have privacy agreements and sell your info to third parties, they are gathering something. Don't know, not affected.
I can't help it if the EFF (an organization I support) isn't clear enough for you. Nonetheless, it is true.

Quote:
Oh, it's probably tracking, just waiting for you to turn on the wifi so it can send out it's little info packet about your reading habits.
Aside from my initial setup, I never turn on WiFi on any of my e-readers. I do wear enough of a tin-foil hat that I prefer to sideload even when I bought from B&N and read on a Nook. Though I admit, I mainly turn off WiFi because it feels unnecessary to me since I'm going to Alf all my books anyway and likely edit them, so may as well sideload.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #53
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
I can't help it if the EFF (an organization I support) isn't clear enough for you. Nonetheless, it is true.
Well, I would prefer to not take someone's word for it and I read pretty good and the EFF was pretty clear and I don't see anything that says

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop
anywhere. If it's so clear, where are you getting that info?

Quote:
Aside from my initial setup, I never turn on WiFi on any of my e-readers. I do wear enough of a tin-foil hat that I prefer to sideload even when I bought from B&N and read on a Nook. Though I admit, I mainly turn off WiFi because it feels unnecessary to me since I'm going to Alf all my books anyway and likely edit them, so may as well sideload.

Yea if you are using a nook, you probably don't ever want to turn on wifi even if you are sideloading if you care about your privacy.

Same source:

https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

Barnes & Noble tracks purchases made from a logged-in Barnes & Noble account, including through the Nook store. It also collects information, including “sideloaded content,” through the device’s interaction with the Internet.

Of course, if you never use wifi, it's moot.

Personally I don't mind wifi, as it's sometimes is useful to transfer books without attaching to a PC. I am the same however as I only turned on my wifi on my new device to set the time. I will be very interested in testing for myself what my Onyx does once it gets an IP.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks to people knowing sqlite.

If you didn't know about altering the DB and brought one on ebay after they go out of business, then what?
The sqlite thing convinces the Kobo device that it is registered. Mine works fine and has never had wifi turned on. I'm pretty sure that devices actually registered with Kobo never have to connect to a Kobo web site in order to continue to work.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
According to https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

The Kobo "seems to have the capability to keep track of book searches because it indicates that it shares those searches with third parties".
Quote:

Quote:
If it's so clear, where are you getting that info?
I'm getting the info by knowing what is possible. If you aren't connected to the internet, it is not possible for Kobo to track your searches, etc.

Quote:
Yea if you are using a nook, you probably don't ever want to turn on wifi even if you are sideloading if you care about your privacy.

Same source:

https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

Barnes & Noble tracks purchases made from a logged-in Barnes & Noble account, including through the Nook store. It also collects information, including “sideloaded content,” through the device’s interaction with the Internet.

With that last sentence, you are getting dangerously close to agreeing with me.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #56
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
I'm getting the info by knowing what is possible. If you aren't connected to the internet, it is not possible for Kobo to track your searches, etc.
Well, that's not really what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop
You have no idea if the device itself is keeping track of your reading habits.

Quote:
With that last sentence, you are getting dangerously close to agreeing with me.
My only point is that I don't reward companies for spying on me or requiring me to register my hardware. You can do whatever you like.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Well, that's not really what you said.
I guess:

Quote:

Quote:
Aside from my initial setup, I never turn on WiFi on any of my e-readers. I do wear enough of a tin-foil hat that I prefer to sideload even when I bought from B&N and read on a Nook.
and

Quote:
just weren't clear enough.

The thing is, I do agree with you overall. In the words of number 6, "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own…"

I just don't mind registering or fake registering so I can use the device.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
By the way, thank you for using 'moot' So many people say something is a 'mute point' I'm worried it's going to become standard usage.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #59
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
I guess:

and

just weren't clear enough.
I responded to that.

Quote:
Quote:
The thing is, I do agree with you overall. In the words of number 6, "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own…"

I just don't mind registering or fake registering so I can use the device.
That's perfectly fine. I do mind. Luckily we both have a choice. For now.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #60
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
By the way, thank you for using 'moot' So many people say something is a 'mute point' I'm worried it's going to become standard usage.
Doing my best to keep the English language alive!