Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
JHB500
JHB500 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App for PC/Android
Unhappy Error Loading - Python Function Terminated

I've been thrilled to be using Calibre for some time now (2 years). It's probably been 3 or 4 days since I had it up, but now suddenly I get an error code when it tries to load.

Python function terminated upexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied:
u'C:\\Users\\name*\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ k2vhvl' (Error
Code 1)

(* is my first name)

Environment: Windows 7 64 bit PC, Calibre version 1.2.0

I found some pretty old discussions and followed the instructions to remove Calibre, delete root folders, and reinstall. Tried that 3 times.

Also saw a recommendation to reinstall to earlier version. Tried to go back to 1.00. Same issue.

The only change to my system (that I know of) in the last few days was that I upgraded from the free to paid version of MalwareBytes. I also killed that app before trying to load Calibre. No luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I miss Calibre!!
JHB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB500 View Post
I've been thrilled to be using Calibre for some time now (2 years). It's probably been 3 or 4 days since I had it up, but now suddenly I get an error code when it tries to load.

Python function terminated upexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied:
u'C:\\Users\\name*\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ k2vhvl' (Error
Code 1)

(* is my first name)

Environment: Windows 7 64 bit PC, Calibre version 1.2.0

I found some pretty old discussions and followed the instructions to remove Calibre, delete root folders, and reinstall. Tried that 3 times.

Also saw a recommendation to reinstall to earlier version. Tried to go back to 1.00. Same issue.

The only change to my system (that I know of) in the last few days was that I upgraded from the free to paid version of MalwareBytes. I also killed that app before trying to load Calibre. No luck.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I miss Calibre!!

Your temp folder has lost its user rights.
Hmm! I wonder if it is the paid Malwarebyte version install that is also doing this to some others. (This being an spotty issue on W7. AFAIK you are the first to mention recent Malwarebytes install)

There is a note in the FAQ http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ror-on-windows that may apply

Last edited by theducks; 09-08-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: struck non-issue
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
JHB500
JHB500 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App for PC/Android
Wow, magic - all is good again! Thank you so much!!

When I changed the rights (select edit, all permission check boxes empty, select each/apply) it gave me errors saying I couldn't make the change, but yet it DID make the update.

Now Calibre loads like normal. I really appreciate your help!
JHB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Glad you got it working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB500 View Post
The only change to my system (that I know of) in the last few days was that I upgraded from the free to paid version of MalwareBytes.
For future reference of others who may pass by, I use the paid version of MalwareBytes too with no known conflicts with any other programs at this time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Glad you got it working again.

For future reference of others who may pass by, I use the paid version of MalwareBytes too with no known conflicts with any other programs at this time.
I struck those lines.
Back to square 0, no known reason for permissions to go south
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert