Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #466
geenp
Enthusiast
geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.geenp 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: none
@All the people with unresponsive page turns: Do you use the swipe or tap to turn pages? I've noticed some unresponsiveness in general with taps but no problems whatsoever with swiping. I tend to find swiping more natural anyway.
geenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #467
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I actually have issues both with swipes and taps!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #468
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I actually have issues both with swipes and taps!
But, is there a particular location where it happens?

Remember that the touch operates on an IR detection system, so if you are reading under a strong IR light source, you could encounter problems. There is one particular incandescent light under which I have problems, but nowhere else.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #469
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post

Remember that the touch operates on an IR detection system, so if you are reading under a strong IR light source, you could encounter problems. There is one particular incandescent light under which I have problems, but nowhere else.
Just curious as to how that works. I have heard of resistive and capacitive systems on modern devices, but never a light based system since very early days when they shone beams of light in a grid over old CRT monitors.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #470
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
I notice a problem, when I open a new book it always opening on first chapter (first entry of toc file) not on first page.

There are also lot of pictures of book I deleted directly from the kobo (.kobo/image)
And lot of record in sqllite database.
MrBook69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #471
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post

I tried to test your theory last night. I have a lot of problems with missing taps. I read 95% of the time with a LED book light. I started a new book last night and changed the tap location for turning pages (through settings) and virtually no missed taps (maybe one or two for a hundred turned pages); The first time I tried going back a page, I had two missed taps in a row, but then none going forward. I tried both with and without an LED. I believe once before I changed the tap location (in settings), and it helped with missing taps, but the problem came back and changing the settings again didn't seem to help.

I did have one case of the touch stop responding all together last night. I tapped once, and a word highlighted; after this, touch stopped working completely. I got responses to the home button, but tapping/swiping would not respond at all. I had to cycle power. This happened at least once before.

This morning, it missed maybe three taps out of 50.

I've also noticed that if I use the fat of my thumb to try and tap, it will ignore the tap. I also have problems with page tuns using swipe.

My guess it is some combination of things that is causing the page turning problem. Could be some relationship with the ePub itself. The new ePub I just read was rather large (~10MB), where normally ePubs I read are ~(.5MB). I tend to switch hands a lot, so my tapping probably isn't always uniform.

I've used a Nook Touch in the past, and don't recall having problems with taps. I was going to try it last night for a comparison, but I was so in awe of the Kobo working, I didn't want to stop.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #472
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The problem is not that the KT misses taps occasionally. That's going to happen with any touch screen, and it's not a big deal as long as it's not frequent - you just tap again. The problem is that often the KT will then double-page-turn on the next tap, meaning you have to recognize the double page turn and tap again a third time to go back a page. That's annoying, especially since it's a bug that should be easily preventable by proper firmware design. What's happening is that the KT is getting half the tap, i.e., it clearly recognizes that you have put your finger down, but not that you have lifted it up. It's obviously waiting for you to complete your gesture, and only when you tap again does it realize that you're not making a gesture (an alternate theory would be that it's actually busy for longer than usual processing the page turn for some reason, but that's ruled out by the fact that you can wait as long as you like and no page turn happens until you tap again). In that case it should single-page-turn, not double-page-turn. That would seem to me to be an easy change, but maybe there's some problem separating this error situation from legitimate gestures?

Last edited by FJames; 03-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #473
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I was thinking I had no issues. But I had a problem today with the pages not turning then a double page turn. Not sure if the touch double page turn was due to a delay in reading the tap.

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #474
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The problem is not that the KT misses taps occasionally. ...
The problem, for some/many Kobo users, is that pages aren't turning when they are supposed to.

I personally don't have a problem with double page turns (while reading). I've maybe had 10 (a guess) in 2.5 months of reading on my Kobo Touch. Meanwhile, I've probably had > 500 (this is a guess) missed page turns again on my Kobo. I'd gladly change my occasional double page turns for my frequent missed page turns.

P.S. And I don't mean to dismiss in any way that people are having problems with double page turns.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #475
red_elk
red_elk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
To me it looks like a software issue.
I didn't have any problems until one of previous FW updates, when I got lots of missed taps. After factory reset and fresh update, missed taps were gone, but frequent double page turns appeared
Waiting for the next FW release, hopefully it will fix all this stuff.
red_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #476
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Just curious as to how that works. I have heard of resistive and capacitive systems on modern devices, but never a light based system since very early days when they shone beams of light in a grid over old CRT monitors.
Look around the edge of your screen - there's a very thin shiny strip between the case and the screen itself. That's sending an infrared beam across the top of the screen both horizontally and vertically, and being caught on the other side. When you 'tap', the sensors within the beam projector/receiver register the x,y coordinate of where the break in the beam occurrs, and depending on those coords, and whether it was a single break or a moving break (ie, swipe), the device performs the appropriate action.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with actually tapping the screen, nor how hard you tap, all you have to do is break the infrared beam.

I don't know for sure, but my best guess is that the problem with non-responsive 'taps' is probably due to the sensitivity setting of the beam-break sensors. They have to be set to some threshold above a single (or small number of) pixel(s) of the beam breaking, otherwise bits of dust or fluff sitting on your screen would cause havoc. So if you 'tap' lightly, and have relatively hard skin or pointy fingertips, the 'footprint' of where you finger tap breaks the beam could be small enough and the beam-break sensitivity set large enough that the sensors don't see this as a 'tap'. That's probably why swipes work better. And some kinds of lighting surely will lessen the sensitivity of the infrared sensors too.

That's my guess. If I'm correct, I wish they would include a 'tap sensor sensitivity' setting in the user prefs that we could adjust ourselves to suit our own needs.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #477
pca
pca began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The idea of IR touch screens isn;t new and the company that supplies (I believe) the system used by Kobo has been around for a while, they even used to make a mobile phone which they used to showcase the IR technology.
I had one and it used to compensate for changing light levels and was certainly up to writing text messages at a reasonable speed. It also had swipe to unlock before Apple used it.
I've also seen them used in industrial settings so the screen wasn't affected by gloves, oil on hands etc. and they were built into a removable bezel which made maintenance/swap out easier.
pca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #478
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Living close to beach I have to sometimes brush sand off screen to solve no touch response problem. I brush with screen down so gravity helps.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #479
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
I just made my first purchase from Kobo since 1.9.16 came out and need to know how to downoad my new book from my Kobo Desktop to Calibre or directly to my Kobo Touch without syncing through WiFi because I don't want to instal this version.

I'm sure this has been dealt with before but I'd appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to tell me where to find the answer.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #480
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
1.9.16 is no longer current. It's at 1.9.17 since Friday. To get it onto your kobo without using the desktop app or wifi sideload using ade which means you'll have to download the DRM epub from your purchases on the website (should be a blue button right next to the book). To get it into calibre it will have to have the drm stripped or be drm free in the first place. I can't tell you how to do that per forum rules but there's always google.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote