Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
karin
karin began at the beginning.

Device: prs 700
Thanks for the tip. But I physically sit in Europe for the time being. Postage fees, etc. - too much.
Cheerio!
Karin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why don't you sell it? Many people regard the display as perfectly acceptable, and you'd have no problem at all selling it at a reasonable price. Post an ad in our "Flea Market" forum!
karin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karin View Post
Thanks for the tip. But I physically sit in Europe for the time being. Postage fees, etc. - too much.
Cheerio!
Karin
Postage between European countries is not expensive, and MR has many, many European members. Selling it is surely a better option than simply throwing it away, as you previously said that you intended to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
From all the reviews I've read here, and personal observation at the Sony store the prs-600 falls somewhere between the 505 and the 700. My husband has a 700 and I have a 505, so we did a three way comparison last time we were in a Sony Style store.

By my observation, the 505 has better contrast than the 600, but if I had to replace my device I'd do so with the 600. The contrast of the 600 is definitely better than the 700, and it adds some very nice features that the 505 doesn't have--dictionary; true PDF zoom; touch screen.

dordale
The 700 was so bad because it had the touch screen layer added, plus the extra space between layers for the lights. The 600 doesn't have the lights, so it's not as bad as the 700, but it's still not even close to the clarity of the 505.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I love my 700. Hope nothing happens to it, because I would not want a reader without built in light. The add-ons just don't get it done.

If something happens to it, I will have to try to find a used or reconditioned one.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
nshearon
nshearon began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-700
I love my 700. It was my valentines gift this year and I love it. My mother in law got the kindle 2 the same day and after playing with both of them i love mine. The only problem i had with the 700 was it wouldnt keep a charge when charged via computer. However, after purchasing the wall charger, it stays charged for weeks at a time As far as the screan goes, i dont have much to compare it to, but i will say this, i have always gotten horrible migraines when i read but i dont when using the Prs-700. I hope this helps
nshearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I realize that this is a antique thread but I was wondering, was the PRS-700 screen the worst that Sony ever made as far as contrast and reflection are concerned?
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I realize that this is a antique thread but I was wondering, was the PRS-700 screen the worst that Sony ever made as far as contrast and reflection are concerned?
Yes, it's quite awful. Stay away. It's a waste of your money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it's quite awful. Stay away. It's a waste of your money.
Going by everything I've read about the 700 (and a couple YouTube videos) I can see only one reason to buy one – to complete a Sony eReader collection. I see the one on Shop Goodwill finally sold for the minimum ($7 or so, plus about $10 for s/h).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #24
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yeah, if you want one get it on Shopgoodwill.com. I got mine really really cheap. I think the screen on it is better compared to the 900's screen. I'd rather read on the 700 than the 900. Don't use the light on the 700 though, you'll see specks of dust in there that you can't remove. I find it very distracting.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #25
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have the PRS-900 with a decent battery and find it usable as long as in a situation where the reflections from the screen can be kept under control. The PRS-950 or Kindle DX is a lot better though. I sometimes get the impression that the Sony designers were not ebook reader users though from some of their goofs.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I have the PRS-900 with a decent battery and find it usable as long as in a situation where the reflections from the screen can be kept under control. The PRS-950 or Kindle DX is a lot better though. I sometimes get the impression that the Sony designers were not ebook reader users though from some of their goofs.
I just think they were working with the best technology they could come up with at the time. There's about a year's difference between the 00 series and the x50 series. Even shorter for the 900 (December 2009) and 950 (August 2010). A lot was changing really quickly in those years. I don't think anyone else had touch screens at all in 2009.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote