Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Question Is this NEW battery faulty? (K3)

I have a Kindle Keyboard which is a bit more than 5 years old. It needs debricking, but I thought I'd give it a new battery before debricking

With the new battery in (and the innards freshly dusted ), I plugged it into the mains to charge. It "rebooted" itself two or three times, but I'm used to that because it's waiting to be debricked so I didn't worry. The orange light was a bit slow to come on, but then stayed on.

Then after several hours, it hung on the home screen and became unresponsive to all keys and the slider.

That was yesterday - this morning the orange light had gone out. I tried to reboot by side-n-hold for more than 40 seconds but nothing. No light, no response. The device hasn't gone to sleep and still shows the home screen from yesterday.

1) Is this my fault for procrastinating about doing the debrick? I tend to live with very-slow and often-restarting (+ hardly any wifi-on time) as long as I can, because not only do I hate being without it for the 3 days' charging before debricking, I also keep a lot of personal documents on the kindle and re-sending them takes so long, effectively it means losing most. (This kindle has been debricked twice in its life.)

OR 2) Does it mean the new battery is a dud? All the printing on it is identical to the original battery, except that the original had a bar code.

OR 3) Does it mean the kindle itself must be replaced? ( Can't afford that.)

I'm asking here before putting the old battery back in... hoping for useful replies soon! Thank you.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This problem sounds familar for a K3.

If a K3:

*) Sometimes they "just quit" - - if anyone has found out why, they haven't posted it here.

*) The battery management chip is under firmware control, firmware not running correctly almost always means no battery management working.
I.E: Can't recharge the battery that is installed.

*) The very long boot times almost always means the boot-up code is trying to correct file system errors. A very slow process.
Leave it on a wall charger for a few weeks (really: weeks), you might get lucky.

*) The eMMC storage chip has a complex and power hungry sequence of operations internally.
If the battery runs down while it is "busy" it will self destruct.

*) The eMMC storage chip has a limited life time and a K3 is getting pretty old.
But there is no telling what the chip's usage pattern has been over the years, all that can be done is keep in mind that they do wear out.

You can probably find a used K3 for sale at a very low price.
Or maybe even a newer model. Try e-bay if you have e-bay in your country.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2016 at 03:19 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
mand
Zealot

Thank you, knc1! I hadn't thought of anything other than the battery reaching the end of its life - ie the chip.

I use eBay for most things but am wary of a used K3, since it may be almost as old as this one. This one wasn't used much in its first year, but since then almost constantly and I've always had loads of files on it - because that's how my mind works. Lots of personal documents and lots of SendtoReader "documents" (webpages) which I then keep in lots of folders. I mean collections. I have noticed it struggles more (=slower) when viewing by collections, or when the home screen or the collection I'm in has a long list of files, which I have thought must be an indexing thing.

Sounds like the end of the end for my beloved kindle, then. (The beginning of the end was ages ago.) I can't live weeks without it, waiting for only-maybe success. Oh well, time to spend money I haven't got. I'd never have had an e-reader if I hadn't inherited this, but was rapidly converted and couldn't live withoiut now.

Trouble is, I also have lots of Amazon samples (first 10% of a book) which I like to go back to - it's the closest thing to having hundreds of physical books and being able to dip into them when I feel like it. I also use them as "notes to self" to remind me what I'll buy when I get round to it. I don't find Wishlist very useful.

And I can't get a new kindle cheaper than £70! (That's without special offers, aka ads. With ads they're usually £60 but on offer now, all of £3 off. )

Thanks anyway - good to have the decision made.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can get a refurbished basic Kindle for £49 from Amazon at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have replaced motherboard in a few K3s, always with success. They are really cheap now:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...e-p-20683.html
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #6
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can get a refurbished basic Kindle for £49 from Amazon at present.
Thanks - I did notice that one. But then I'd pay £10 on top to get rid of the intrusive special offers, which makes it only a tenner less than a brand new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I have replaced motherboard in a few K3s, always with success. They are really cheap now:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...e-p-20683.html
Thanks, worth knowing for future reference or for others seeing this thread, but for me it's a step too fiddy and I think there will be another thing and then another... It's like recognising when a car has started to cost more in repairs than it's worth, time to buy new.

Anyway, I ordered a new kindle last night and am now impatient for it to get here. The bright side is, it's a rare excuse for NEW SHINY.

I am going to switch back to the old battery which was on its last legs anyway, just in case that allows me at least to jot down my folder structure as a kind of basic "back up"... but really I'm taking this latest "health crisis" as indicating that it's finally time to put this kindle gently in its grave. It's given me been a few warnings before. I've eked its life out well over a year longer than it really had enough health to cope.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
- - - - -
Thanks, worth knowing for future reference or for others seeing this thread, but for me it's a step too fiddy and I think there will be another thing and then another... It's like recognizing when a car has started to cost more in repairs than it's worth, time to buy new. - - - - - -
There comes a time when, regardless of what you do, you can't squeeze anymore blood out of that rock.

It is too late now, but I was going to suggest the PW-3 (that is what Amazon is calling 7th. generation paperwhite).

My personal opinion is that it is the just-right mix between features and cost.

And the world seems to agree with me -
It is the most popular JB download, even though the PW-2 has been on the market nearly 18 months longer.

Also, I could not find any used PW-3 models for sale.
The owners are just not ready to give them up.
You can find used PW-2 models for sale, but the difference between new PW-3 and used PW-2 isn't all that great now.

If you don't want a lighted screen -
The KT-3 (8th generation Kindle Touch (Kindle Basic) ) is what Amazon marketing calls it.

It does do "Voice View" over the (Amazon) external audio (headphone) USB dongle.
That is, it has a fully functional USB otg port.
Which you can see from recent posts here that people are already turning it into something that can support external USB devices in general (wireless pointers, keyboard / mouse, etc).

Of interest, the KT-3 can also do audio over Bluetooth.
I expect people here will remove the "Amazon devices only" limitation on the Bluetooth someday, real soon now.

I also have been on the look-out for "Demo" models of the PW-3 and KT-3 (because we can "Un-Demo" them with a few keystrokes).
But either the word has already spread that the "Demo" mode is just temporary, or store owners are still using their demonstration models.

Both have the Amazon Image Gallery (currently disabled) and a new "Record and Playback" feature (also currently shipping disabled).

I expect members here will "unloose" those features also.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
Keep your Kindle offline and you wont get ads. Anyhow the Android Kindle apps ads are much more annoying than the K3/PW3 ads. Swipe2unlock may be annoying.

Too late: Better wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday offers before buying something if this is possible, I spend £72 for my PW3 w ads.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Order your new Kindle with ads. They don't show up while you're reading a book--only when you first turn it on. You can always pay later to have the ads removed if they truly do bother you.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There comes a time when, regardless of what you do, you can't squeeze anymore blood out of that rock.

It is too late now, but I was going to suggest the PW-3 (that is what Amazon is calling 7th. generation paperwhite).

My personal opinion is that it is the just-right mix between features and cost.

And the world seems to agree with me -
It is the most popular JB download, even though the PW-2 has been on the market nearly 18 months longer.

Also, I could not find any used PW-3 models for sale.
The owners are just not ready to give them up.
You can find used PW-2 models for sale, but the difference between new PW-3 and used PW-2 isn't all that great now.

If you don't want a lighted screen -
The KT-3 (8th generation Kindle Touch (Kindle Basic) ) is what Amazon marketing calls it.
That's what I have ordered. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 All those features and maybe-soon-possible tricks sound fun so I'll keep an eye on MobileRead and play around if/when I have leisure time. All I really want, though, is reading without the painful-hands aspect of weight, holding a paper book open and turning pages while lying in bed, all the rest is bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
Keep your Kindle offline and you wont get ads. Anyhow the Android Kindle apps ads are much more annoying than the K3/PW3 ads. Swipe2unlock may be annoying.

Too late: Better wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday offers before buying something if this is possible, I spend £72 for my PW3 w ads.
But keeping a kindle offline would mean not getting any books / documents / webpages on it either.

I hadn't thought of Black Friday, but it's too far away anyway. The couple of nights without my kindle and this week without daring to turn wifi on - that's how I'm keeping the old device just alive enough, until the new one gets here - is enough of a wait for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Order your new Kindle with ads. They don't show up while you're reading a book--only when you first turn it on. You can always pay later to have the ads removed if they truly do bother you.
I think I'd have removed them sooner or later, judging from threads I've seen where people compare notes about how annoying they are. Best I could have saved this week was £3 by ordering with ads, and paying later to remove them, but the extra minutes to do that was worth £3.

I even splashed out an extra £9 on a MoKo case. Such extravagance.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm not often here, but I do love this forum.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
- - - - -
But keeping a kindle offline would mean not getting any books / documents / webpages on it either.
- - - - -
Someone forgot to read step #7 of the JB.
You do not have to keep the kindle off-line to prevent OTA updates.

Your link:
The "8th generation, Kindle Basic" or the KT-3(White) as we know it here.
Your jail break is ready, I used it myself on my White-KT-3 just last week, zero problems.

On that page, a link to:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202051830

Hmm... that might interfere with bringing up the menu on baf's new build of kTerm (the two finger touch to enable VV over Bluetooth). I'll have to ask him about that in his kTerm thread.

And on that page, a link to:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202058850

And you can almost bet that someone here will change that, so the KT-3 can "Bluetooth Join" with something other than speakers.

That:
"VV to many car audio systems"
Is disturbing.

As if cell' 'phones did not by themselves up the "auto kill rate" enough, now will we have people blind to the world by being immersed in the book being read to them driving through crowds.

Yea Amazon - Always willing to sacrifice anything for a few more bucks.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thread continues here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, hanging, hung, kindle 3