Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #5161
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Will speak recognition advance to a point that it can replace the keyboard?
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #5162
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Sorry MJK, but according to Urban Dictionary someone already coined that word at least seven years ago.
Dammit...my one claim to fame, down the toilet!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #5163
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are some songs hits, while others are not?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #5164
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #5165
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
One fine Vietnam day some 40+ years ago a young soldier came into our aid station complaining of a sore throat. He told us he'd always heard that placing a strip of bacon on the throat helps. Our doctor disagreed, but was somewhat amused by the idea.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #5166
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Today I was finally was able to spend some personal time with Windows 8... Umm, all I can say is when I'm actually able to afford a new machine I think I'm going to install one of those hacks to bring back the start menu. I gave metro, or whatever they're calling it now, a shot and I just didn't like it. I could definitely see this interface being nice on a touchscreen, but with a mouse it's just crap.
And now as of today I can confirm my suspicions (which already seems to be the general opinion when it comes to W8) that yes, the interface was truely optimized for a touchscreen. While I was at the mall getting my iPod replaced, I also popped into the Microsoft store. Well, wandered by might be a more appropriate choice of words, given that the "store" is in the middle of one of the walk ways. Anyway, I spent quite a few minutes with the Surface. And while I wouldn't personally buy one, it is a pretty nice piece of kit. Except for the keyboards that is. I didn't particularly like either one. The touch keyboard offers no feedback, and there is not enough of a gap between the keys on the other one.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #5167
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do I jailbreak my new iPod touch? I really need help and I don't know where else to go.
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #5168
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
How do I jailbreak my new iPod touch? I really need help and I don't know where else to go.
Is it a fourth or fifth gen iPod touch? If the latter then there currently is no way to jailbreak it. For a fourth gen iPod touch running iOS 6 there is a tethered jailbreak from RedsnOw. "Tethered" means that you will need to connect your iPod to your computer every time you reboot. Anyway, just google "iPod touch fourth generation iOS 6 jailbreak" and you will find tons of details on how to apply the jailbreak.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #5169
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Will speak recognition advance to a point that it can replace the keyboard?
I think it can and eventually will for most users. For some advanced tasks, such as programming, the keyboard will probably remain king.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #5170
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
And now as of today I can confirm my suspicions (which already seems to be the general opinion when it comes to W8) that yes, the interface was truely optimized for a touchscreen. While I was at the mall getting my iPod replaced, I also popped into the Microsoft store. Well, wandered by might be a more appropriate choice of words, given that the "store" is in the middle of one of the walk ways. Anyway, I spent quite a few minutes with the Surface. And while I wouldn't personally buy one, it is a pretty nice piece of kit. Except for the keyboards that is. I didn't particularly like either one. The touch keyboard offers no feedback, and there is not enough of a gap between the keys on the other one.
I agree that the Windows 8 interface seems to be designed with touchscreens in mind. I just moved to a new laptop with Windows 8 installed (and no touchscreen) and it's quite a change from Windows XP (which I used on my last computer).

One thing I had trouble with at first is closing down applications. Rather than clicking on an "X" in the corner, I found out (via reading) that you have to pull the top of the application down to close it. Overall, I've found that Windows 8 has been a good upgrade from Windows XP but it will take some time to get used to it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #5171
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google images is cool, but they do slap some bizarre results on you sometimes. Here are some of the hits I got when I searched this recent picture of myself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom Avatar 001.png
Views:	211
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	98609

Spoiler:

Name:	virtual-university-of-pakistan3098_1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	98610

The search also produced several images of a rather phallic nature, leading me to wonder if my critics might be on to something.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #5172
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And if you want to know what my wife looks like; here's one of the "Visually similar images" that popped up when I inserted her picture into the search engine:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e266736e.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	98611  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-02-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #5173
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

It just gets worse. I uploaded this 12-year old photo:

Name:	2000 08 31 Tom 04 a.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	98614

And got these "visually similar" results:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valentines-2011-386.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	98615   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.31%E3%83%A1%E3%83%88%E3%83%AD%20047@.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	98616   Click image for larger version

Name:	10627917.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	98617  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-02-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fix problem with last graphic upload
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #5174
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Okay, I quit. I think one day Google's Image Search will be a very valuable tool, but for the moment it's not quite ready for prime time. This picture of Teenage Tommy:

Name:	Young Tommy.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	98618

Produced, among other results:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	How-deep-is-your-love-for-Michael-michael-jackson-31178258-500-584.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	98619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jesus.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	98620  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #5175
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^But it is a never-ending source of entertainment.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
man boobs, skippy the bush kangaroo, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness