Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #31
seescoe
seescoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Have had nothing but problems with my Kobo since the update - it updated to v1.8.2 when I first connected to my computer. The pre-loaded books then began to have the repeating paragraphs problem; didn't experience that before the update. Have followed the instructions on replacing the DB to the letter twice, but no luck, as the preloaded books are gone after that attempt. Recopied the original files to get the preloaded books back. Did a reset to factory defaults, and my preloaded books were back. Did a sync to get the 2 books I bought back onto the Kobo, and now my 2 new books are there but all the preloaded books are gone. Very frustrated with this thing - it was a Christmas gift or else it would be going back. Wish they had bought me a Kindle.
seescoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #32
seescoe
seescoe began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seescoe View Post
Have had nothing but problems with my Kobo since the update - it updated to v1.8.2 when I first connected to my computer. The pre-loaded books then began to have the repeating paragraphs problem; didn't experience that before the update. Have followed the instructions on replacing the DB to the letter twice, but no luck, as the preloaded books are gone after that attempt. Recopied the original files to get the preloaded books back. Did a reset to factory defaults, and my preloaded books were back. Did a sync to get the 2 books I bought back onto the Kobo, and now my 2 new books are there but all the preloaded books are gone. Very frustrated with this thing - it was a Christmas gift or else it would be going back. Wish they had bought me a Kindle.
Wow - popped in a blank SD card and suddenly the preloaded books are back. This thing is weird.
seescoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #33
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Any news about the Australian Border/Kobo update yet?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #34
mordie71
mordie71 began at the beginning.

just an update... The only way I can get books onto the kobo now is via a workaround of using a SD card with the books on it -annoying but since win7 doesn't see the Kobo when plug in it's my only option until I can some how reinstall the firmware - Can it be done through an SD? There's no way the PC will talk to the Kobo ...*sigh*
mordie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jordie; if you are in Canada and can get to a Chapters store they should be able to perform the upgrade from an SD card for you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Do Chapters stores have the 1.8.x images? I know they had the 1.4. For folks who can make a Linux SD card, the files you need are referenced in this post.. There is a sticky with information about creating the card.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taming; I assumed they did...

I know... Never Assume .... You make an Ass of You and Me
Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #38
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No one has mentioned a flash update, though anyone who wants to stop by my house in Red Deer, Alberta can have a soda and an SD card update if they want.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
mordie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
No one has mentioned a flash update, though anyone who wants to stop by my house in Red Deer, Alberta can have a soda and an SD card update if they want.
Hmm I would but It's abit far away for me :P only 13,959 Kms away from here - melbourne, Australia :þ
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe we could try putting the kobo in a plastic bag, setting it in the ocean and watching to see if it gets to Canada?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #41
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

I had all the initial problems with the 1.8.1 upgrade as the rest, but thanks to the posts here, I got everything working properly, so this week I upgraded both Kobo's to 1.8.2 and not a hitch with either one, all books will open and the unit works fine.

Hope the rest of you finally get it figgured out.

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #42
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Quote:
Do Chapters stores have the 1.8.x images? I know they had the 1.4. For folks who can make a Linux SD card, the files you need are referenced in this post.. There is a sticky with information about creating the card.
Currently we do not have 1.8.x firmware updates yet at Chapters/Indigo were still only offering 1.4 for original Kobos and 1.7.4 for wifi Kobos.

On a 1.8.x question anyone found the solution for 1.8.x locked books off a PC?

we've had to downgrade to an earlier version for original kobos to get the books unlocked though if MRers have another solution would help us at Indigo out loads.

Thanks again happy reading
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Mike--it's important for folks to understand that there is no difference in how the reader functions between 1.8.0, 1.8.1 and 1.8.2. Versions .1 and .2 were released only because of problems in updating that showed up for some users. If someone has a Kobo-1 that is working as it should, and is running any of the 1.8.x firmware iterations, then there is no reason at all to go any further.

People report that the locked books phenomenon seemed to resolve upon doing a sync. Other folks have done a reset to factory defaults, which also then requires syncing with Kobobooks for their kepub books and will result in Adobe DRM having to authenticate the device. The ADE part has to be done using the ADE account of the person who originally bought the books, of course.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #44
mordie71

Quote:
People report that the locked books phenomenon seemed to resolve upon doing a sync. Other folks have done a reset to factory defaults, which also then requires syncing with Kobobooks for their kepub books and will result in Adobe DRM having to authenticate the device. The ADE part has to be done using the ADE account of the person who originally bought the books, of course.
This I think would work for me if I can just get the Damn think to sync to the PC :P ... SD card hasn't unlocked the free books (there where not there after the firmware up) ... hmm Might have to get my VitrualBox Ubtunu up and do some tinkering to make a fireware update or downgrade (is that possible) SD card ...:þ
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite

What SD card? I'm not following...