Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Adobe Digital Editions, YIKES be careful !

Okay had a really bad issue . I have had to hard reset my Sony Reader a few times due to lock ups.....anyway, it appears that DE will only authorize 6 times, including your PC activation. After that you get an error message saying that there are too many activations. Simple to solve? No !

Rang DE technical support in UK, and guess what. They have no solution to this issue. They have been aware of it since early August yet have no resolution................so all my purchase Waterstones book are useless ! What a waste of good money. I will not be buying any more DE books until they fix this issue.

They reckon I can create a new XP account and try that and it may work, but all my stuff is on this one, that is not a decent solution ! Why should I have to transfer everything to new user account when they clearly need to resolve the issue.

Sorry for the rant but Im fuming. I was in the middle of a book and now I can't finish it as its DE, plus the other ones I bought are worthless until Adobe find a way to fix it. I am not holding out much hope if they have been aware fo this for a few weeks already.

Anyone else had this happen?
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Ouch, that blows....

I'm increasingly happy that I chose to go with a e-rader that is NOT locked down to a specific format and also that it supports formats that is quite easy to remove the DRM for.

And I certainly understand your furstration, especially after getting the answer that they been aware of the problem for a while and still haven't come up with a solution. If I told our customers something like that, dear god! They'd have my marbles in a sling!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Tell me about it. I can't believe it. Im sure they'll resolve it eventually BUT if it's already been known for a good few weeks and still nothing, I'm not holding my breath. No more DE books for me.

Thank goodness I can get Lit ones from Fictionwise and convert them. I'm sticking to that for now. So the UK misses out on a buyer for eBooks. Not good news......especially if more people have to resort to it.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Aintitsofunky
Aintitsofunky began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Sounds like a fault with the Reader itself, and not really a fault with DE.

You should contact Sony about a fault with the product and get a replacement. If any newly purchased product keeps freezing then I'd try for a replacement, whether that's a Reader, PC, or software on your PC etc. Especially as DE is merely a host and not really related to the actual Reader functionality.

Doing that should resolve your issue a lot quicker than DE trying to find a way around Reader faults.

Good luck!
Aintitsofunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
babyd
Addict

No, it is the DE software, Adobe are aware of it as it has been reported before. The fault is caused by Adobe limiting the authorizations and then not knowing how to reactivate them and getting DE to work again.
It isn't the reader. It only freezes very occasionally when formatting. It went nuts last night after adding the two Tor freebies, it hated the lrf versions. They were files with embedded fonts and it didn't like them as I had to resize the fonts as they were teeny, and it went into format cycle then reset then lost my collections. So I will occasionally hard reset to get a clean install of my books after problems like that.
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aintitsofunky View Post
You should contact Sony about a fault with the product and get a replacement. If any newly purchased product keeps freezing then I'd try for a replacement, whether that's a Reader, PC, or software on your PC etc. Especially as DE is merely a host and not really related to the actual Reader functionality.
What good would getting a replacement do? If the freeze is due to a bug in the Reader's firmware, then that bug is going to be there on the replacement machine too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
babyd
Addict

I agree Harry. My Sony has been great so far, very stable, much more than my first one. These things to freeze/reset every so often anyway, no problem to me. Just becomes an issue when Adobe don't support the need to reset your device and their software can't take the authorizations. Pretty bad to just leave people while they solve it too. One person reported this issue mid August, so they aren't rushing it seems LOL

I have just not transferred the DE books onto the reader and will not buy any more ePubs from now on. I will carry on buying from Fictionwise and BoB and converting lits instead. Much nicer.....shame though, I hadn't even read the ePub books yet
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Must admit, I'm deliberately not buying any DRM'd books from Waterstones, have bought the DRM free epub Ghost Brigades from Harper Collins direct though
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Must admit, I'm deliberately not buying any DRM'd books from Waterstones, have bought the DRM free epub Ghost Brigades from Harper Collins direct though
Do you have a link to Ghost Brigades please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
babyd
Addict

I think its actually on pan macmillan, I tried to find it but couldn't then found one on pans site....

the link is here http://www.panmacmillan.com/Titles/d...&BookID=410477
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I think its actually on pan macmillan, I tried to find it but couldn't then found one on pans site....

Ouch! That's $13.00 in USD!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Ouch! That's $13.00 in USD!
Which is near enough the same price as Sony eBook Store, where it's at $12.60, although the Amazon edition is only $7.99.

I couldn't find it at Mobipocket, Fictionwise or BooksOnBoard though, so availability seems limited. (MP had other Scalzi titles, just not Ghost Brigades.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
This thread may be of some interest (and the link to the related post in the Adobe support forums). Short story - you're not alone and at least Adobe appear to be working the issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28974

The posts on the Adobe forums indicate that it is possible for their customer support (US maybe?) to reset your authorization counter, if that's any help. You can post a trouble ticket from their website.

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post

Yep, you're right, got my publishers confused
(The price is about normal for a paperback over here in the UK so I didn't mind too much paying for it, especially if it helps convince them to stick to non DRM epub!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
For info I'm running my Reader on a MacBookAir with Parallels to authorise, but the drag and drop from ADE 1.5 for Mac works perfectly for transferring books so I don't have to use the nasty Sony software.
I also gleaned the following from Adobe about authorization - may be interesting to someone:

To deauthorize/deactivate your portable reader, please connect this to
the PC and do the following:
Deactivate a PC with Digital Editions 1.5:
Launch Digital Editions 1.5
Enter the unpublished key-combination of Cmd-Shift-D (Mac OS X) or
Ctrl-Shift-D (Windows)
At the dialog, confirm that you wish to de-activate the machine
Quit Digital Editions
To reactivate and authorize the machine using the same or a new AdobeID,
just relaunch Digital Editions. You will be prompted to activate.

This was found on another thread on MR. Maybe this will help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote