Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
ereaders spell end to train/bus sub-culture

Entertaining and quite true

Alone together with the Kindle
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Hmm, so the subculture that's about to tragically end is the peep-other-travellers-books one? Hmm, guess I can do without that one.

Even when I was only reading P-books in public transport, I was not exactly overjoyed if strangers chose to address me over my choice of reading material.

Yes, sometimes I see somebody reading a book that I think is a good one. Do I address them to commend them on it? Ask how they like it? Tell them the punch line? Most often not, as I guess that the fact that they are reading a book that I am also interested in does not mean that they would prefer discussing the book to reading it in peace.

And the only times when I was myself looking at others' books were mainly when I was thinking myself "shit, should have packed a book myself. Stupid me to forget that".

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
Frankly, if it means that some people will not have an excuse for looking over our shoulder to supposedly read our book / newspaper while all the time staring at a part of our anatomy, I'm all for the end of this sub-culture.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I often have people ask me what I'm reading on my ereader. If anything, the fact that they can't tell without asking makes it more 'social'.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
In Japan, people put covers on their book in order to protect them* (they're sold at second-hand bookshops) but also to prevent others to see what they're reading. I guess ereaders won't make a difference there.

* When one buys a new book, the clerk usually asks if a paper cover is needed.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki2 View Post
Frankly, if it means that some people will not have an excuse for looking over our shoulder to supposedly read our book / newspaper while all the time staring at a part of our anatomy, I'm all for the end of this sub-culture.
Even more frankly,
Commuters can still look at you boobs and read even easier now that you have an ereader.

I enjoy looking at what strangers are reading, its fun for me Ive allways liked watching people in public.
I must admit its awesome that I can un ashamedly read childrens literature outside the house. A little too intelectualy insecure otherwise I guess.
Maybe if I had a beard........
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Even more frankly,
Commuters can still look at you boobs and read even easier now that you have an ereader.
True, but most are cowards and without the excuse of reading tend to look away.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I tend to peek over people's shoulders, pbook or ebook, and know that others do the same. I've never had anyone comment on the book itself, but the subject of the books have certain served as conversation openers. I'm fine with all of that. It is a public space after all. If you don't want others to see what you're reading, you should be reading it in a private space.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that must be a cultural thing, it never happened to me and I believe it would be considered kind of rude. YMMW
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
When I started e-reading I was conscious of the loss of a public-facing book cover. Y'all can laugh about it but talking about the book someone reads was an excellent breaking-the-ice social manuever. You know, before we found our dates on the internet, lol.

Sure, plenty of people are annoyed when their reading is interrupted. Plenty of people stay single too.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
When I started e-reading I was conscious of the loss of a public-facing book cover. Y'all can laugh about it but talking about the book someone reads was an excellent breaking-the-ice social manuever. You know, before we found our dates on the internet, lol.

Sure, plenty of people are annoyed when their reading is interrupted. Plenty of people stay single too.
There's nothing to laugh about, a book cover can be a real ice-breaker. Some people want that wall of ice to be as thick as possible, but not everyone does. There are downsides, of course, some people seem to think they are entitled to making negative comments to you on what you read. And some people are phony about it, not having any interest in your book. I get annoyed when people strike up a conversation, and they segue into "by the way, have you heard the Good News about..."

But if I'm reading C.J. Cherryh, for example, it can be nice to talk to someone who also likes her books.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
samhy
Wizard

On the other hand, I would love to chat with someone about a book I'm reading (or he/she's reading), but it's not common over here.
In Japan, it happened to me once in the subway. A Japanese man commenting my book (I don't put covers ), kind of bold given the circumstances but I was so ecstatic for days, I can tell you.
In France, someone asked me about ereaders and I was more than glad to share as much as I could. It was weird because it was an inspector, minutes after having checked my pass.
In London, once again in the subway, a little boy came to me and started to touch my reader believing it was a tablet It was a little bit confusing (to me), but I explained to him it was an ereader and he didn't need to press the screen hard by showing him how to turn the pages. He played with it for a couple of minutes, before getting off with his mum.

Those interactions are definitely a cultural and quite fascinating thing So maybe, instead of talking to strangers of their book, people will talk about their ereader? (win-win)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini

Does that mean that I don't need any Heidegger and Sartre dust jackets for my ereader any more when I am actually reading some detective fiction?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post

Does that mean that I don't need any Heidegger and Sartre dust jackets for my ereader any more when I am actually reading some detective fiction?
If you don't need them anymore, send them to me...still need to use some to hide Harry Potter or other kidish litt. (Shhh I have a master degreee in litterature, don't tell them I enjoy HP! :P)
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Having an ereader hasn't changed the subculture for me. No matter where I go, someone asks (a) how do you like your ereader? I'm thinking of getting one and/or (b) What are you reading? I bring handicapped relatives to appointments all the time and I think the only place I'm not asked this is at the dentist office (although my dentist always asks what I am reading). I don't mind. I save the cozy mysteries and frothy fantasy/sci fi for away from home since I know interruptions are the standard.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote