Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Please check 1 choice from Sections 1 and 2 and three choices from Section 3
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least once a week. 29 22.14%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least 1 to 3 times a month 25 19.08%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books at least 1 to 6 times a year 31 23.66%
Sec. 1: BEFORE my device, I borrowed library books never or almost never 42 32.06%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I borrow library books/eBooks at least once a week. 35 26.72%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks at least 1 to 3 times a month 40 30.53%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks at least 1 to 6 times a year 11 8.40%
Sec. 2: NOW that I read eBooks, I now borrow library books/eBooks never or almost never. 36 27.48%
Sec. 3:I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of brand new, most popular/bestselling print books 65 49.62%
Sec. 3:I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of brand new, but not bestselling, print books 62 47.33%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of good print books published in the last 40 years 72 54.96%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of reference resources 28 21.37%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of good non-fiction 54 41.22%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, enhanced eBooks with multimedia content and Web links 3 2.29%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBooks by independent publishers with no print versions (or print on demand) 23 17.56%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBook versions of public domain, free print classics 7 5.34%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eDocuments from the Web, e.g., articles, fanfiction, reports, Master's thesis. 9 6.87%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, eBooks in languages I can't get otherwise. 10 7.63%
Sec. 3: I would borrow eBooks and eDocuments written by community members for other people in the community. 7 5.34%
Sec. 3: I would borrow from libraries, Community eDocuments, e.g., bus schedules, lists of community events, etc. 7 5.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
chrisarippel
Chris Rippel, Kansas
chrisarippel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Droid X Nook and Kindle, PC Nook and Kindle
How have eBooks changed your borrowing from library?

I am a librarian.

I would like to know how starting to read eBooks on an eReader, smartphone or laptop/computer has changed your borrowing habits from the library. And see whether libraries could provide eBook readers who don't use the library with something they want.

In this survey please click
one choice from Section 1, and
one choice from Section 2, and
THREE TOP CHOICES in Section 3.

Thanks so much to participating in this survey.

Chris Rippel
Great Bend, Kansas

Last edited by chrisarippel; 04-13-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Restoring chrisarippel's poll instructions to first post after merging threads.
chrisarippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Your poll is missing.

As for how eBooks have changed my library borrowing: only by making me add eBooks to the type of library items borrowed, which have otherwise not been affected in the least in terms of quantity of stuff I get from the physical library branches.

For what it's worth, the CBC ran a story late last year about how library enrollment had gone up in the province of BC in part due to our province-wide eBook lending programme and the popularity of the Kobo reader being available in Chapters (major bookstore chain here, which is also the main owner of Kobo).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I don't see the survey.

Before I bought my Sony Reader, I went to the library once every 2 or 3 years, but I always thought I should use it more rather than buying all the books I do.

But there is a caveat. I've always been glad that I bought my own copy of a novel, especially if it turns out really good. I almost never reread it or loan it, but I feel that I've demonstratively voted for that author by buying his book.

Now that I have a Sony Reader, and my library card makes it possible to borrow library books right here at this computer, I still haven't done it yet. For one thing, I'm always afraid that I won't finish the book before it's due (distractions etc.).

Last edited by KenJackson; 04-03-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
They didn't change my library usage at all-- I didn't use libraries before, I don't use libraries after. I always bought the deadtree books that I read.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I stopped using libraries when it became cheaper to buy a used book online than it would cost to go to the library. I don't see the point of ebooks in libraries.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
It hasn't changed my library habits at all. I stopped using my library years ago, although, we do take the kids on occasion.

Using the library could have become a habit again if only Amazon, and/or my county cooperated. I do not feel the need strong enough, however, to purchase, a Nook, or any other library able device.

And yes, I know I could make it work on a Kindle as well, I just have no interest in doing so.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
The library is and has been my go-to place for anything I want to read! For years I put books on hold online and then picked them up when they came in. Now I do the same thing with ebooks, but without the drive.

If the library doesn't have what I want I will buy the ebook, or wait, or browse the library ebook collection and find something else that looks intriguing.

I would have checked more than 3 choices in category 3 if I could have.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Couldn't find any in section 3 that I could tick.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The last time I borrowed a book for recreational reading from a library was in 2004 (a book not available in stores I borrowed from the university library). I never borrow from my own local library because they haven't got a lot of books (in English) I'm interested in.

About a year ago my local library started lending ebooks out. I was, and am, very interested but, unlike their physical catalogue, I cannot check what ebooks they are lending out unless I get a library card and I'm not going to pay €26,50 or €42,50 just to see if they have anything I'm interested in.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
My local library is right beside my place of work. In fact when I park my car in my designated car park I am closer to the library than I am to my office. However the library's hours meant that it was always closed before and after work. That left my lunch break when it was quite crowded. It was never a relaxed experience trying to find something to read.
The books I wanted to borrow were almost never available so I would go on a waitlist. That meant I would need to go to the library 3 times: once to order a book, once to collect it and once to return it. For some reason I regularly forgot to return my books. They do have an afterhours slot but I never seemed to remember to use it. A few years ago they put their catalogue online so I could order books online and eliminate one of the visits. That increased my borrowing but I still had problems with returns.

However now that I borrow ebooks it couldn't be easier. I can browse for books any time of the day or night. If they're available I download them, if not (more often the case) then I go on the list and wait for the email. When the email arrives I have 2 or 3 days to download. When I finish reading I can return them with a few clicks. Or if I forget they get returned automatically - that is my favourite part!
I am now a member of 4 libraries - I currently have 4 books that I have borrowed and I normally keep each book for about 2 to 4 days. I have about 12 on hold.
My only problem is when too many of my holds arrive at the one time.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Well, I have a library curse. As soon as I move to a new neighbourhood, they immediately close the library for renovations for a year and I never get to go there anyway

So, I would say my branch visits are at zero right now because of that. And I do prefer to borrow my fiction in ebook rather than paper because I do all my leisure reading electronically now so I can get the books when I want to and not have to wait for the branch to be open. However, I have seen some of the other branches that got renovated, and they are quite nice places to hang out. So when the branch near me opens again, I probably would go there to read and relax with my Kindle
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
I have always been a big library user and now i still read the same amount of books per week but using their e-book system, saves gas, time and money and i can even check out an e-book at midnight or holidays. I'm in hog heaven!
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I have been using the online ordering system in the 2 libraries I use for years - if my book is not available I put it on order and they email me when it's ready to pick up. If we had ebook borrowing facilities I would use them, but sadly nothing doing at the moment. The Adelaide library did send out a survey about customer preferences for ebooks, but I can almost guarantee it will be implemented in some ridiculous way when it comes, or they will only provide Kindle PDF books etc.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarippel View Post
I am a librarian.

I would like to know how starting to read eBooks on an eReader, smartphone or laptop/computer has changed your borrowing habits from the library. And see whether libraries could provide eBook readers who don't use the library with something they want.
I frequently use the library to check out both ebooks and hardcopy books; whichever has the book I want available. I tend to check from the library (ebook and hardcopy) bestselling fiction, recent (as in still in copyright including new midlist) fiction (especially genre fiction) and nonfiction. I would check independent e-book/POD books from the library too, but I didn't have room for that in the poll as I had exhausted my 3 choices. I am a heavy library user.

I think having an e-reader has shifted some of my borrowing activity from hardcopy to e-copy, as the collections are different and I can take advantage of more variety of titles--it's rare for me to keep 40 hardcopy books out of the library anymore.

And one thing I don't have to guess--I looked in my computer Digital Editions folder and since Nov. 2009 when I started I have checked out nearly 300 e-books. (there are more than 300 books in that folder but a few of them are purchases)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I literally don't have a library where I live, so I have to spend $60 a year on a membership to one.

When I got a Kindle, I dropped my membership because there didn't seem to be much of a point anymore. I was never really interested in bestsellers or really any new stuff - just a few historical mystery series that would come out about once a year or so.

I do miss those, but at the same time, I figure if I wait a few years and then join again, there will be 3-4 of each for me to read. I can wait.

And bleh, the SF section of the library was terrible. Their idea of a classic was William Shatner's (Ghostwriters) TekWar.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote