Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Mitsuya Cider
Mitsuya Cider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, IPad Mini
Manga/comics viewing

Liking the Kindle a lot.

Anyway, when viewing manga/comics (CBR converted with calibre) I can read the text and all, but if I press Up->Centre (to zoom) the image takes up more of the screen. It would be much preferable if the thing loaded each successive image at this zoomed in state, yet it doesn't. Is there a configuration setting that would allow that?

It's not a huge thing, but it's irritating.
Mitsuya Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't like my Kindle for viewing PDFs (most of my comics are in PDF) I use my iPad, Goodreader app, for them.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuya Cider View Post
Liking the Kindle a lot.

Anyway, when viewing manga/comics (CBR converted with calibre) I can read the text and all, but if I press Up->Centre (to zoom) the image takes up more of the screen. It would be much preferable if the thing loaded each successive image at this zoomed in state, yet it doesn't. Is there a configuration setting that would allow that?

It's not a huge thing, but it's irritating.
Converting to Mobi/azw is probably the worst option for the reason you state.

If you expand the CBR/CBZ, you can actually view the images directly with Kindle's 'experimental' image viewer. But there are some drawbacks to doing so (poor performance, inconsistent file naming conventions, etc.).

Instead, you might want to check out a program called 'Mangle'. It will take a set of image files and convert them into a series of PNG's that are sized for your Kindle's screen (rotating them if necessary to fit the screen better). You can then view them full-screen using Kindle's (undocumented, 'experimental') image viewer, with no zooming or rescaling required. (You can create folders in \pictures with image files in them, and these folders will show up as items on your Home list.) The viewer has a few rough edges, but works well enough, at least on my K3.

You will need to expand the CBR before feeding the image files to Mangle. (It'd be nice if Mangle could un-RAR or un-ZIP image archives for you, but hey it is free and the source is there if someone wants to add this feature). BTW I had some issues with the Mac version (it gets 'stuck' on some files) so have switched to the Windows version until I have a chance to figure out what the problem is, or an update gets posted.

Another way is to create a PDF from the image source (e.g. convert the CBR/CBZ directly to PDF). However, I find you wind up with rescaling artifacts in fit-to-screen mode (affecting line quality), and in fit-to-width mode (the only other option worth considering) the quality is great, but you can't view enough of each page to see what is going on.

Taking the downscaled image files from Mangle and combining these into a PDF gives good results in terms of quality, is a more convenient packaging than a folder with a bunch of files in it, allows you to set bookmarks and annotations, view progress & page numbers, and seems to be a little faster and consistent (e.g. the image viewer won't stay in full screen mode from session to session). But it is an extra step in the workflow, and you need to have a tool for it (or again, modify Mangle to do the PDF conversion).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-27-2010 at 03:56 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Yep, I vote for Mangle. I used it all the time on my K1 and now I'll do it again when I get my K3. The images are beautiful, text is easy to read, and no manual zooming is needed.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I'm convinced that the Kindle is built solely for reading text. If you want manga/comics, I highly suggest buying a tablet with a color screen, such as the iPad.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
lanfearl
lanfearl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
I'm convinced that the Kindle is built solely for reading text. If you want manga/comics, I highly suggest buying a tablet with a color screen, such as the iPad.
You realize that manga is black and white right?
lanfearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Of course I know that! It still looks sharper on a color screen.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
Mitsuya Cider

Thank you very much for the tips tomsem.

Using the image viewer is a good way forward, but it does pull up other problems. Even after batch resizing with mangle, the resultant images load slower than a converted mobi for example, and the image viewer has multiple issues (switching pages often tears horizontally, or leaves a partial ghost image when the next image isn't the same exact size) and mangle itself doesn't post-process images sufficiently for my liking (letter edges are far too soft, whereas calibre sharpens by default). Mangle is much faster than batch processing with irfanview though, which is what I used to use when processing manga to read on my PSP.

All that said, it is VERY nice to lose the locations bar at the bottom, even though it is replaced with the bar at the top.

It does seem that manga is the most readable on my device, still, as a converted mobi file when zoomed in ever so slightly.

I guess it's still early days though. Let's hope amazon pulls their thumb out, and gives the kindle more configuration options.

@lanfearl

Indeed.

Last edited by Mitsuya Cider; 09-28-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
mech1
mech1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Could anybody help me with lanes on the side in PDF?

I used this sequence
- edge the pictures
- use Mangle to convert to PNG
- pack it to CBZ
- convert using Calibre to PDF with "Disable Comic conversion"

Everything is fine except thos two white stripes at sides in PDF, which are not in PNG files.
Viewing of the CBZ works fine on Kindle 3, but there are issues. So I'm trying the PDF instead ...
mech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuya Cider View Post
Using the image viewer is a good way forward, but it does pull up other problems. Even after batch resizing with mangle, the resultant images load slower than a converted mobi for example, and the image viewer has multiple issues (switching pages often tears horizontally, or leaves a partial ghost image when the next image isn't the same exact size) and mangle itself doesn't post-process images sufficiently for my liking (letter edges are far too soft, whereas calibre sharpens by default).
I believe the severe ghosting usually only happens when switching between pages of different size. This should be resolved by enabling 'Draw frame around images' to make all the images the same size.

Have you enabled fullscreen viewing (pressing F or menu option)? Also, disabling dithering should speed up page turning.

Mangle can't handle converting more than one manga at a time so I currently use Canti:Canti doesn't have a graphical interface like Canti but it can handle cbz/cbr/images and a whole folder tree of the above. Probably the best reason to use this over Mangle is the option to automatically split two-page spreads into two individual pages. For small resolution devices like the K3, this makes text readable in two-page spreads, which appear often in manga.

Canti, by default, takes all the output images and packages it into a PDF. The only problem is that the kindle's PDf viewer lacks a full screen mode and thus the page is always smaller than desirable due to the forced margins. So now I just disable that option and view the images directly.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Mitsuya Cider

Yes, you're quite right. I investigated further, tearing only occurs with pages of a different size, but doesn't always occur, and ghosting is only an issue when going backwards.

And honestly, fullscreen is a revelation.

The image viewer is far from flawless, but easily beats mobi for manga.

Thank you.