Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Plugins

Hello, I thought I'd start a new thread about the Plugins.

I've finally been able to create a plugin that will work with the Windows Command Line. However, I'm running into one thing.

If I modify the Hello World plugin to work on_import agains .lit files, I get the following error when loading a file:

Loading plugin from C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Hel lo World Plugin.zip
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\customize\ui.py" , line 146,
in _run_filetype_plugins
File "<string>", line 20, in run
File "calibre\ebooks\metadata\meta.pyo", line 87, in set_metadata
AttributeError: 'MetaInformation' object has no attribute 'lower'
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
oops small typo in the hello world plugin:

change
Code:
set_metadata(file, ext, mi)

to
set_metadata(file, mi, ext)
But you should be aware that calibre can't set the metadata in lit files. Setting only works for rtf, lrf and epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
oops small typo in the hello world plugin:

change
Code:
set_metadata(file, ext, mi)

to
set_metadata(file, mi, ext)
But you should be aware that calibre can't set the metadata in lit files. Setting only works for rtf, lrf and epub
Cool thanks.

Another question, though. Is there any way to have Calibre re-read the metadata from the file within the plugin?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
Cool thanks.

Another question, though. Is there any way to have Calibre re-read the metadata from the file within the plugin?
If you want to change the way calibre reads metadata from files, you have to create a metadata reader plugin. Its in the documentation.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
junkml
Addict

Quote:
If you want to change the way calibre reads metadata from files, you have to create a metadata reader plugin. Its in the documentation.
My bad. I didn't delve into the Metadata section of your documentation.

I do appreciate your patience with all this!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
junkml
Addict

Ok. I have to admit that I'm stumped again.

I've got a metadata reader that shows up and appears to run when adding a file to calibre, but it isn't picking up the metadata from the file (a non-drm lit file).

I'm afraid I need to ask for some pointers again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LitMeta_plugin.zip (488 Bytes, 921 views)
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This plugin is identical to the built in lit metadata plugin. If that is failing to pick up metadata, this will too.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
junkml
Addict

Quote:
This plugin is identical to the built in lit metadata plugin. If that is failing to pick up metadata, this will too.
The problem is, the built in lit plugin will get the metadata from my file, but if I disable it, and add this one, nothing happens. There's no error when adding at the command line, but no metadata come through.

I deliberately started with the same setup as your current lit metadata code. I figured once I can get that running as my own plugin, then I can work on customizing it. My first step was just to make sure I could get the plugin running at all.

Last edited by junkml; 01-04-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah ok, now I understand. I'm somewhat swamped in work at the moment. Could you opena aticket and attach your plugin and I'll get around to figuring out why it doesn't work in the next couple of days.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Ah ok, now I understand. I'm somewhat swamped in work at the moment. Could you opena aticket and attach your plugin and I'll get around to figuring out why it doesn't work in the next couple of days.
No problem. I figured it was something simple I was missing. I'll open a ticket in a little while.

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
junkml
Addict

Kovid, noticed that version 4.126 is out, and says the status for the ticket on the metadata plugin is closed.

Is there something else that has to be changed with the .py file attached to the ticket, in order for it to work?

I use that script, but there is still nothing coming in for the metadata, even though the built-in plugin for .lit metadata works.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but this is the last little piece I need to get working.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the problem should have been fixed in 126. At least your plugin was working for me. Try insering a print statement at the start of the run method and see if you get any output when running calibredb add
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Yeah the problem should have been fixed in 126. At least your plugin was working for me. Try insering a print statement at the start of the run method and see if you get any output when running calibredb add
put a print statement before the "return" statement, and it showed up when running on the command line, but still no metadata.

I did a print on ftype, stream, and get_metadata(stream, ftype), and this is what it output:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Library>calibredb add "c:\users\owner\documents\my library\open.lit"

Loading plugin from C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\New LIT metadata.zip

lit

<open file u'c:\\users\\owner\\documents\\my library\\open.lit', mode 'rb' at 0x03622480>

<open file u'c:\\users\\owner\\documents\\my library\\open.lit', mode 'r+b' at 0x03622CA0>

If I enable the built-in lit metadata reader, it still brings in the metadata.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Add a

print mi

where mi is the result of the get_metadata call
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Add a

print mi

where mi is the result of the get_metadata call
Interesting. There is absolutely nothing. The print statement after "print mi" shows up, but there is nothing for "print mi". No error, nothing.

edit: I take that back. Looking at the output again, the print statement BEFORE "print mi" shows up, but then nothing. So the print statement after "print mi" never happened. But, there was no error showing at the command line.

Last edited by junkml; 01-05-2009 at 09:53 PM.