Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
kermalou
kermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3
So I bought a blacklisted Kindle off Craigslist

Saw on craigslist yesterday some guy selling a Kindle 3 for $120 new in box yesterday, met up with him last night and bought the sucker.

Went into the website to register it and it wouldn't register, told me to call in to support.

I called in this morning and after being put on hold and transferred a couple of times, the rep came back and said that this serial # has been blacklisted and reported as lost/stolen.

I gotta return the thing to the seller or have him contact amazon to get this thing off the blacklist.

I'm trying to get a hold of the guy but he isn't picking up my calls at the moment and after reading around here a bit was wondering,

Do I have to register? I can get books from other stores and load it up.

I see that there is a registration hack for the K2, so thinking that if it gets released for the K3 I can add collections later.

I am just thinking of the worst case scenario if this guy turns out to be scum.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
I gotta return the thing to the seller or have him contact amazon to get this thing off the blacklist.
Unlikely to happen in either case. The person that sold it to you is most probably not the person that bought it from Amazon or if they did then it was with a stolen account or credit card.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You got scammed, dude. Sorry.

Didn't the price and the fact that it was new in the box give you pause? I'm guessing the guy stole it from a neighbor's mailbox or front porch. When the real purchaser discovered its delivery status as "delivered," the purchaser would have reported that to Amazon and they would have sent a replacement and flagged this one. I doubt you have any recourse, as you're not likely to find the guy, and even if you did, you've got nothing to show for the purchase (he's not legit, so it's your word against his).

Why wouldn't you just order a legit one from Amazon?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Saw on craigslist yesterday some guy selling a Kindle 3 for $120 new in box yesterday, met up with him last night and bought the sucker.

Went into the website to register it and it wouldn't register, told me to call in to support.

I called in this morning and after being put on hold and transferred a couple of times, the rep came back and said that this serial # has been blacklisted and reported as lost/stolen.

I'm trying to get a hold of the guy but he isn't picking up my calls at the moment and after reading around here a bit was wondering,

Do I have to register? I can get books from other stores and load it up.

I see that there is a registration hack for the K2, so thinking that if it gets released for the K3 I can add collections later.
I am just thinking of the worst case scenario if this guy turns out to be scum.
So you realize you have a "lost/stolen" kindle and you are willing to keep it?

You don't want to see if Amazon can return it to its rightful owner?

Sorry about your money loss......but is keeping it right?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
lanfearl
lanfearl began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So you realize you have a "lost/stolen" kindle and you are willing to keep it?

You don't want to see if Amazon can return it to its rightful owner?

Sorry about your money loss......but is keeping it right?
The moral dilemma is on the thief.. not him.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfearl View Post
I don't know how it works where you are, but in the UK at least, stolen property still belongs to the original owner even if someone's bought it in good faith.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yeah right so he should just throw the $120 away then, Considering Amazon will just re-sent another out to the original buyer as long as it was stolen straight off delivery, Sometimes doing the right thing isn't always the best solution, As long as kermalou bought it not knowing it was stolen goods of course.
Although I bet when kermalou bought the k3 it wasn't at the sellers residence, Which in of it's self would cause me pause.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Yeah right so he should just throw the $120 away then, Considering Amazon will just re-sent another out to the original buyer as long as it was stolen straight off delivery, Sometimes doing the right thing isn't always the best solution, As long as kermalou bought it not knowing it was stolen goods of course.
Although I bet when kermalou bought the k3 it wasn't at the sellers residence, Which in of it's self would cause me pause.
One must always do the right thing even if no one knows about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know how it works where you are, but in the UK at least, stolen property still belongs to the original owner even if someone's bought it in good faith.
Legally perhaps, but ethically, perhaps not.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

OP is out his $120. Too late to fix that, unless he can find the shady seller and the seller suddenly has an improbable attack of ethics.

OP should arrange with Amazon to return it to Amazon with an explanation. Worst case, Amazon gets it back and can sell it as a refurbished unit and OP has a clean conscience and has learned a hard lesson. Best case is Amazon decides to reward OP for being honest and gives him some credit towards Amazon merchandise, even towards a new legitimate Kindle.

It's up to him, but the right thing to do is clear.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can't understand why you would pay $120 when you only need to put a few more $$ towards a legit one from Amazon, I could understand buying a second hand one for say $50 or $60 but at $120 it isn't enough of a saving to warrant buying a SH one.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfearl View Post
wrong. He has a moral choice to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
He didn't know it was stolen then....no harm no foul. BUT he knows it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Legally perhaps, but ethically, perhaps not.
How do you justify this? "Ethically not???
Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I would chalk the $120 as a loss and see what Amazon does when you present them with your situation.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Count me in the camp that says he should return the device to Amazon. It sucks that he got stuck with stolen property but that does not change the fact that the right thing to do is to return the stolen property.

If he returns it to Amazon, I would suggest that he lets Amazon know who he bought the Kindle from. It is always possible that the owner reported it stolen, got a new one, and sold the old one online to make some extra cash.

And this is why I wouldn't buy anything like a Kindle through Craigslist. There have been reports of people who have bought Kindles through Craigslist, registered them before paying for them, and then had them blacklisted
Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Ethically, I would think you need to report it. Heck, the OP already contacted Amazon whom in theory should have suggested it get returned back. The $120 is gone, although I would guess that with a little work, it wouldn't be hard to find the scam artist working again through Craigs List.
Closed Thread