Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
malk
malk began at the beginning.

Device: none
eReader to sync with android phone

I've been reading off an android phone for years and finally want to make the jump to a proper eReader. I have a mix of epub and amazon books and ideally I'd like to sync both between the eReader and my phone.

Is this possible natively on any device or would I need to jailbreak, mess around with Calibre?

Many thanks!
malk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
How comfortable are you with storing all your books on Amazon's cloud? I think Kindle's easiest for pretty reliable multi-platform syncing. Of course, it's pretty crap for organization.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Possible options I at least tested somehow:
- go Kindle way. Kindle Store books - everything syncs beautifully. "Personal Documents"(aka non-Kindle Store books): you will have to convert your epubs to mobi (Calibre can do that and send them to amazon automatically), size limit 50 Mb, size limit for all personal documents 5 Gb, issues with covers, issues with sorting by last read position between devices, no ability to read synced "Personal Documents" on PC/Mac, if you get kindle e-ink with 3g - personal documents download will cost extra.
- go Pocketbook way. Great android reader. Great e-Ink readers (you will need newer ones, check for 'cloud support'). Syncing works (notes and highlights sync with e-ink readers are not yet working in public firmware, only in beta). They also have web based reader but it's not very good. One of main issues:they don't support Amazon DRM so you should be sure your Amazon books are without DRM or solve this issue somehow. Also, ask their support, tell them which device you want and where you would buy them (they sometimes name one model with different names in different countries, cloud sync availability could also differ between countries).

- get Likebook Plus / Likebook Mars as e-ink reader (see their relevant threads)(if you want other e-ink readers for this - I strongly advice AGAINST Onyxes or anything with less than 1 Gb RAM), get Bookari (ex Mantano) Reader and their 'cloud' subscription. Bookari for Android have e-ink support. Issues:no native support for Amazon DRM, Bookari's cloud subscription is not free. Huge book collections (like 5k books and 13k notes) could have issues.
- get Likebook Mars as e-ink reader (see it's relevant threads) and get Bookfusion (see their thread on mobileread) for it and your android phone (if you use Calibre - get their calibre plugin as well). Bonus: you will get usable web-reader. Issues: no native support for Amazon DRM, Bookfusion's cloud subscription is not free. Bookfusion doesn't have native e-ink support yet but is mostly usable on Likebook Mars (but not on Likebook Plus).

Last edited by vikarti; 11-29-2018 at 12:35 AM.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo and tolino will sync books bought from their stores between their devices and apps. Tolino can also sync books added to their devices and then added to their cloud.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote