Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #76
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by overture1922 View Post
Great! This worked! Thank you.

I did not know that not all the books supported the new fonts.
I had forgotten this also, but it's probably because I use Calibre to convert mobi books to AZW3 – it's almost an automatic process for me now. it's easy and well worth it if you want to read with a specific font.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #77
overture1922
overture1922 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I had forgotten this also, but it's probably because I use Calibre to convert mobi books to AZW3 – it's almost an automatic process for me now. it's easy and well worth it if you want to read with a specific font.
Good advice! I will try this!
overture1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #78
overture1922
overture1922 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thank you for the help guys! I´a m beginner in the kindle world and it is awesome!
overture1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #79
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I updated both our Voyages and my Oasis 2 this morning and I like the update, particularly the new home screen.
The home screen? It's abusive advertising, like the useless Kobo Home screen. I have recommendations off. I don't expect to buy outright an eReader, phone, Tablet or laptop and have adverts. Basically spam.
Fortunately unlike the Kobo H2O I have (which lost the earlier ad free screen), the old home screen still works.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #80
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Themes feature is a good addition.
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #81
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The home screen? It's abusive advertising, like the useless Kobo Home screen. I have recommendations off. I don't expect to buy outright an eReader, phone, Tablet or laptop and have adverts. Basically spam.
Fortunately unlike the Kobo H2O I have (which lost the earlier ad free screen), the old home screen still works.
Tbh I think your view is a bit extreme but if you don’t like the new home screen turn it off.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #82
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I completely agree.
Not only that but while the engineers at Amazon were working on it, the bugs remained unfixed and useful features were delayed.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #83
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I just updated my 1 week old PW3 (aka KPW gen7) to this SW today and later downloaded the audio sw for the USB dongle (or generic USB audio). Since then it's been occasionally (done it four times) been restarting/ rebooting from sleep (Lights up, goes out, progress bar etc and then is on home screen).
Is this due to adding the audio firmware, or delayed reaction to the USB Logitech headphones? The headphones work via USBtoGo cable adaptor on my Android phone, but don't activate the Voice menu. Still, a USB stick is under £2 / €2 / $2 on eBay or Amazon. Or a bug in the new main firmware (applied first)?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #84
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Am I able to turn the battery percentage off? Or is it non-optional?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #85
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

New PW3 rebooting since 5.10.1.1 update

Quote:
... it's been occasionally (done it four times) been restarting/ rebooting from sleep (Lights up, goes out, progress bar etc and then is on home screen)...
It's stopped doing the random waking and rebooting. Fine now.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #86
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
The home screen? It's abusive advertising, like the useless Kobo Home screen.
I've been following this thread to see if I should update the PW 2nd gen I gave to my Dad when I bought my Clara HD. There is no advertising on my Home screen. Although there's a link that would take to me some advertising, should I wish to see some.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #87
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I just turned it off. It doesn't seem worth whining about. It would be interesting to see how many people who actually read on the ereader keeps the advertising active.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #88
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I always turn the ads off on my kindles. I order it with ads and then pay to take them off.

I don't consider the home view as advertising. I get the 3 books I am reading and on the right are my own reading lists. These are my samples, my wish lists from amazon, my lists from goodreads, etc. On the bottom and the second page there are various things that change and rotate. Most of them are recommendations based on what I read and buy. On the very bottom I get currently a most wished for kindle book. I guess that might be considered an ad. But to me ads are those horrible sponsored books when I browse on amazon. The ones the authors pay for.

Stuff on my home view is 90% lists based on my own shelves and wants. The rest are curated lists done by amazon.

Since I am a heavy user of goodreads and amazon wishlists, I think it works for me. Not sure what shows up if you don't use either of those functions.
I cannot browse for books on amazon on a computer anymore because of mis-categorizing and all those sponsored ads authors buy and are placed in the wrong genres. Nothing fits. The recs on my kindle via goodreads and also amazon are now way better.

But they let you turn it all off so that is good for those that don't want it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #89
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just use the list view for my homescreen. The only thing I see are my books and collections. No advertising, no recommendations, nothing.

I suppose I might turn on the other view for curiosity, once I've updated my Kindles, just to see what's new.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #90
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I just turned it off. It doesn't seem worth whining about. It would be interesting to see how many people who actually read on the ereader keeps the advertising active.
I wouldn't mind the ads if they were better targeted. Its terrible because it shows me nothing I want. A few years ago they had a coupon for a 256 SSD for $99 (it was normally $200ish) which made me feel the ads were worth it. Haven't seen such a deal since, only on crappy romance novels and fictional books.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote