Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
Firmware update 5.9.5

Now live at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680

• You can now make multiple highlights with fewer clicks by turning off the highlight menu from Reading Settings.
• Performance improvements and other general enhancements.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Thanks for posting this
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
Now live at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680

• You can now make multiple highlights with fewer clicks by turning off the highlight menu from Reading Settings.
• Performance improvements and other general enhancements.
I'd like to be able to make fewer highlights with more clicks in return for the possibility of reducing the likelihood of inadvertently making highlights when trying to look up a word in the dictionary.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I'm hoping that the update includes a fix for the issue with the screen flashing when the clock changes.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'll be a guinea pig. I'll let you know if it blows up my Kindle 8th Generation.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have updated my Oasis2 without any issues.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I believe that there is a slight mistake in the What’s New description.

There is a “Reading Settings” tab in the Aa menu, but there is nothing about highlights there.

There is a “Reading Options” menu under Settings that has “Highlights and About This Book” and under that a ”Highlight Menu” choice. That is the setting described.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-13-2018 at 12:11 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 AM   #8
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Has the Kindle firmware now reached the point where they are beginning to just shuffle features around? Sure looks like it.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Unfortunately, I’ve had the clock issue still cause the screen to flash with 5.9.5, so they apparently did not get it fixed.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There is a “Reading Options” menu under Settings that has “Highlights and About This Book” and under that a ”Highlight Menu” choice. That is the setting described.
How does this help you make highlights? I thought it just disabled other people's highlights...?
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
How does this help you make highlights? I thought it just disabled other people's highlights...?
You are thinking of the "Popular Highlights" option.

When you select multiple lines of text in a book a highlight is automatically created from the selected text. If the "Highlights Menu" option is ON a menu will popup with choices including an "Undo" button. If the option is OFF then the highlight is created, but no menu pops up.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:

When you select multiple lines of text in a book a highlight is automatically created from the selected text. If the "Highlights Menu" option is ON a menu will popup with choices including an "Undo" button. If the option is OFF then the highlight is created, but no menu pops up.
This is great news. I can't wait to experiment with this option.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

The OFF option makes highlighting functionally equivalent to the Kindle app for iOS. ON is more like the Kindle apps for Fire and Android.

Ideally they will provide this option on all platforms so people like me who switch devices a lot can have a consistent user experience across all of them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I believe that there is a slight mistake in the What’s New description.

There is a “Reading Settings” tab in the Aa menu, but there is nothing about highlights there.

This is really weird. I have downloaded the update and it says 5.9.5 is on there, so I know it has worked, but I do not have the highlights menu. Under Highlights and About This Book, I have only Popular Highlights and About This Book, nothing else.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #15
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
This is really weird. I have downloaded the update and it says 5.9.5 is on there, so I know it has worked, but I do not have the highlights menu. Under Highlights and About This Book, I have only Popular Highlights and About This Book, nothing else.
From the amazon website:

"the following device models are not impacted and do not require this update.
Kindle (7th Generation)
Kindle Voyage (7th Generation)
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation)
Kindle Oasis (8th Generation)
Kindle (8th Generation)"
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote