Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
CuriousJay
CuriousJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Paperwhite displaying "My Items (0)"; Ideas?

My KindlePaperwhite is suddenly displaying zero items: "My Items (0)"

I've done some reading over past forum posts and it seems the simplest way to fix this problem would be to wipe the Kindle. I could do that, but I'm also kind of curious about *why* it happened and if there is any clever trick I can use to force the Kindle to re-index the books that are on it to properly display them.

Here's the situation:

I read the Kindle a few days ago. It was fine.

I added two or three books via Calibre last night. I'm pretty sure I didn't properly eject the Kindle, I just waited for it to finish transferring the files and pulled the USB cord. I open the Kindle and see "My Items (0)".

Out of curiosity, I jumped into my "Cloud" list and pulled down a book from Amazon. Curiously, I can open the book and read it from Cloud view, but it never shows up in Device view (where it still shows "My Items (0)".

If I mount the device on my computer Calibre (and the regular file explorer) both show the device is still full of books: both the Calibre loaded books and the official Amazon books.

I read in a post or two that sometimes a bad conversion can cause a hangup, so I deleted the three books I had recently loaded. No change.

Is there anyway to force the Kindle to reindex its contents? Like I said, I know I can just wipe the device and do it over, but I'm really curious to see if there is a way to fix the issue without a total wipe. Thanks!
CuriousJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Reboot!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Reboot!
Oh sorry, I forgot to add that. I did reboot (both in Airplane mode, which I was in originally, and out of Airplane mode just to see if the non-connectivity was part of the issue).
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did what you done mines a K3 reboot always worked for me. Hopefully some one with a PW will come up with an idea.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

BTW it might help to place this in the Kindle Forum.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
What happens if you try to add another book from calibre, one that was not on the device before the problem occurred?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
What happens if you try to add another book from calibre, one that was not on the device before the problem occurred?
Tried this out: Calibre says the book is there, if I browse the file structure on the Kindle in Windows Explorer, the book is there, but when I eject the Kindle it still lists 0 items on the device. =/
Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousJay View Post

Is there anyway to force the Kindle to reindex its contents? Like I said, I know I can just wipe the device and do it over, but I'm really curious to see if there is a way to fix the issue without a total wipe. Thanks!
I go into the \system\search index\ directory and delete everything there, this will force the device to reindex.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

You may have to reformat & then rebook then add the books 1 at a time. I also had to do that when my K3 got stuck. Someone later told me I shouldn't but it did work with no more problems.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I go into the \system\search index\ directory and delete everything there, this will force the device to reindex.
Tried that: it does indeed make a new (and smaller) index database, but it doesn't resolve the issue.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You may have to reformat & then rebook then add the books 1 at a time. I also had to do that when my K3 got stuck. Someone later told me I shouldn't but it did work with no more problems.
I have a feeling that's going to be the ultimate and only viable solution, but I am having fun poking around inside the Kindle to try and solve it without a total wipe.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Make sure the time is correct on your device and then sync it.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Make sure the time is correct on your device and then sync it.
I wish I'd had a chance to try this one out! After spending some time this morning dinking around with it some more I opted to wipe it and actually get some real work done

If the issue crops up again, I'm going to check the time on the device.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousJay View Post
I wish I'd had a chance to try this one out! After spending some time this morning dinking around with it some more I opted to wipe it and actually get some real work done

If the issue crops up again, I'm going to check the time on the device.
My suggestion was a long shot, anyway. I know that incorrect device time sometimes causes problems on the Kindle Keyboard, so I thought I'd mention it.

I hope your Paperwhite works correctly in the future.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
CuriousJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
My suggestion was a long shot, anyway. I know that incorrect device time sometimes causes problems on the Kindle Keyboard, so I thought I'd mention it.

I hope your Paperwhite works correctly in the future.
Sometimes it's the long shot things that work, I know I've fixed more than a few computer problems over the last 25 years with long-shot "Ehhh I'll just try this" solutions.

Fingers crossed! This is the first time I've had any problems with any of my Kindles. I'm hoping it was just a very isolated glitch.