Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-26-2024, 03:28 AM   #1
aero31aero
aero31aero began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Custom config directory on Android

Hi, I'm trying that good ol setup of running two instances of KOReader for a shared reading tablet. I've found two builds (F-Droid and GitHub), so I have two app instances going. I now want to make is such that one instance keeps reading /sdcard/koreader for its settings and the other reads /sdcard/koreader-2 or some other folder.

How do I configure this?

I'm open to editing the apk if that's needed, but I'm hoping I'm just missing some obscure setting option.

Note: my device doesn't have the concept of multiple-users or app-cloning (not that app-cloning would work, because they'd still read the same /sdcard/koreader folder)
aero31aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Both instances do read and write from/to /sdcard/koreader.

The fact that both can be installed at the same time because they have different package names doesn't mean they should be used at the same time.

The logic for that was in https://forum.f-droid.org/t/change-p...n-repo/13543/7

Anyways, I keep both installed on my tablet and keep testing the Fdroid flavor from time to time and I didn't experienced a single settings corruption and it shouldn't happen on sane devices because settings are flushed when the app is in the backround. But there're a lot of android insane devices

For what you want I would recommend to use one of the apps that let you isolate apks using a "work profile". Here's a good one: shelter
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 01:24 AM   #3
aero31aero
aero31aero began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Hi, thanks for the recc. Shelter worked perfectly and I've uninstalled the duplicate KOReader build as well. Cleaner overall. <3

Note for other people who wanna do the same:

You would not be able to access the files in your work profile via usb or adb or the regular file explorer etc, so it could be hard to transfer your fonts/dictionaries/custom plugins over to the /storage/emulated/10/koreader directory.

Simply use an FTP server to achieve the same. I used Cx File Explorer (though any FTPD app or perhaps some SSHD app would also suffice). I guess you could syncthing your fonts and dicts to keep them in sync too but that's probably overkill.
aero31aero is offline   Reply With Quote