Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
tsarinaerika
tsarinaerika began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
2 kobos at once

Hi,

This may be a very basic question but I'm not all that computer savy so I thought I would ask those who are!

I have a kobo touch (and love it), I am thinking of getting a kobo for my mother. Because she lives with me and she doesn't go near the computer I would take care of registering her kobo and getting her books. My question is, can I register the 2nd kobo with the same email address as the one I used for the first one, and same for ADE, can I use mine and just load them onto her kobo?

Cheers!
tsarinaerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes. You can register and use 5 or 6 devices/apps to the same account (I forget which). Remember to use the same Adobe Digital Editions for both, too. You will want to remember not to delete books she is reading, and probably not read the same kepubs at the same time because of syncs accross devices. In my house, my husband reads epubs, never kepubs, and never syncs unless we are updating firmware. His wifi is always off.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
tsarinaerika
tsarinaerika began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Awesome. Thank you for the information!
tsarinaerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might consider getting your mother her own email account. Your internet provider
will most likely let you have additional email accounts (if they are providing them),
associated with your base account. Plus there are online email services.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might consider getting your mother her own email account. Your internet provider
will most likely let you have additional email accounts (if they are providing them),
associated with your base account. Plus there are online email services.

Luck;
Ken
I think the point was so that she didn't have to have two accounts with kobo....
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Since the Kobo account will synchronize your books, anything that you get on your account will show up on hers if you register the two with the same email address. You may or may not want this, but I can tell you that the publisher doesn't want this.

ADE is different because you have to load the books from a computer, so you can put your books on your reader and her books on her reader. The publisher probably won't like this and it's probably a violation of Adobe's terms of service, but at least you can remain compliant with copyright.

EDIT: incidentally, this automatic synchronization on Kobo's part means that you can buy books on your mum's account and show her how to get the new books by telling the device to synchronize.

Last edited by BWinmill; 06-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I think the point was so that she didn't have to have two accounts with kobo....
I don't see the "cost" or inconvenience having two Kobo accounts would
incur, and it would allow a separate management process.

If you really want to use both on the same account, you might be able to
just copy your User data into her "KoboReader.sqlite" file. Not sure it would
work, but it would be reversible. Just save a copy of her KoboReader.sqlite
file before you modify it.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Luck;
Ken
The problem is that if account A buys book X, person on account B cannot download X automatically on her device. So person with account B will have to download the epub version, and sideload that one.

On the other hand, as mentioned above, two persons with the same account will have their highlights/bookmarks syncronised, so if we are reading the same book and you are on page 10 while I am on the last chapter, it is posisble that next time we open either I am plunged back to page 10, or you are propelled forward to the last chapter.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Luck;
Ken
I wasn't referring to cost or anything other than the possible convenience in the OP's case. That was what she was asking in her original post....whether it was POSSIBLE. She mentioned living in the same house and controlling everything computer related anyway. For HER, it might beat having two accounts, especially if they have similar reading tastes. and don't want to remove DRM.

Lots of married couples share an account for this reason, I see no reason why a mother and daughter shouldn't do the same for similar reasons.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 06-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Having two accounts should solve the conflicting bookmarks/syncing issue. And as I
would be removing any DRM infections from ebooks that would be used by my immediate
family members anyway, sideloading through calibre would be the natural way to go,
and no additional effort.

I have no objection to the idea of the members of a household all sharing an ebook
account, a telephone account, a cable account, an energy bill or water bill, or an
account at the local pizza joint. The OP or any others can take the options and/or
additional considerations that my post may have provided, for whatever use they
may wish. I hope my perspective would be of some assistance in solving a problem
now and again.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Having two accounts should solve the conflicting bookmarks/syncing issue. And as I
would be removing any DRM infections from ebooks that would be used by my immediate
family members anyway, sideloading through calibre would be the natural way to go,
and no additional effort.

I have no objection to the idea of the members of a household all sharing an ebook
account, a telephone account, a cable account, an energy bill or water bill, or an
account at the local pizza joint. The OP or any others can take the options and/or
additional considerations that my post may have provided, for whatever use they
may wish. I hope my perspective would be of some assistance in solving a problem
now and again.

Luck;
Ken
yeah that's fine. I agree there are other options. You just didn't mention any of that in your first post. You simply told how to get two email accounts....so I thought you'd missed the point of the OP.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sorry if I am sounding persistent but I'd really love to be able to have my cake and eat it!

Two people with the same account means they can both sync effortlessly with Kobo, BUT you will also sync bookmarks, where you are in a book, etc;

Two people with different accounts won't have syncing issues BUT if they wish to share the same book, one will have to sideload, and lose the nice sync features/reading stats.

Why don't Kobo set up a family account? This is my personal mini gripe, if you agree please +1 here

Last edited by paola; 06-03-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
sorry if I am sounding persistent but I'd really love to be able to have my cake and eat it!

Two people with the same account means they can both sync effortlessly with Kobo, BUT you will also sync bookmarks, where you are in a book, etc;

Two people with different accounts won't have syncing issues BUT if they wish to share the same book, one will have to sideload, and lose the nice sync features/reading stats.

Why don't Kobo set up a family account? This is my personal mini gripe, if you agree please +1 here
I think this url works better:
https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/top...sonal_accounts

the first one doesn't work properly, at least for me. it only came up with a blank screen with an non-linking url that i had to copy and paste to get to your comments.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My family account would be a mess. I use an eink device, a tablet, and a phone to read on. My husband uses a different eink device and a different tablet. We change hardware fairly frequently. It's just much easier for us to not read the same kepub book simultaneously. Shared annotations are not a big deal in my house.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I think this url works better:
https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/top...sonal_accounts

the first one doesn't work properly, at least for me. it only came up with a blank screen with an non-linking url that i had to copy and paste to get to your comments.
thanks, I've corrected it in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My family account would be a mess. I use an eink device, a tablet, and a phone to read on. My husband uses a different eink device and a different tablet. We change hardware fairly frequently. It's just much easier for us to not read the same kepub book simultaneously. Shared annotations are not a big deal in my house.
sure, point taken - again, it would be nice to have the option to buy books from the same account, and have separate individual syncs.